Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

I'm a little confused regarding dungeon levels - Help please?

Wolfhammer
Wolfhammer
✭✭✭
Hi all,
I tried a few runs on my level 10 Sorc through Banished Cells last night via the Random Normal tool. I noticed when we went in I got battle levelled which confused me slightly.
Anyway long story short we got roffle-stomped at the 3rd mini boss and couldn't get passed it after 5 or 6 tries.

I looked up a Banished cells guide and in the guides they are quoting bosses health at 8k give or take 1k.
Well that boss that casts the blue beam of death last night had just short of 1 mill health.

So my question is - How do I get into a level appropriate version of these dungeons? I take it random normal via the tool will lump me in with vet players raising the dungeon difficulty?
Is there a way for the tool to put people of similar level together for random normal, or will I have to queue for random normal with a pre formed group of low levels?

Any advice please would be gratefully received..
Cheers
Wolfhammer - Templar serving the Alith guild on EU
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey there. So when you join as a group the dungeon scales to the group leader. So if you have 4 mates all L10 it will scale to a level you can all manage.

The random tool is designed to help solo players find a grip fast, and given the huge variation in levels it does it by scaling everyone up to CP160. so that's what you are seeing. BUT random dungeon finder does give you the cool XP bonus :)
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Wolfhammer
    Wolfhammer
    ✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »
    Hey there. So when you join as a group the dungeon scales to the group leader. So if you have 4 mates all L10 it will scale to a level you can all manage.

The random tool is designed to help solo players find a grip fast, and given the huge variation in levels it does it by scaling everyone up to CP160. so that's what you are seeing. BUT random dungeon finder does give you the cool XP bonus :)

Thanks for your answer and yeah I was specifically doing the "random" thing for the bonus xp to get my level 10 up to 15 ASAP... It seems 3 or 4 of us last night were 10-14 but one person was a vet so we just didn't have the DPS or heals to get the bosses down..

So I cannot pre group with some fellow lowbies and then queue for a random normal? Seems like that would be the way to go?!
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wolfhammer wrote: »

Thanks for your answer and yeah I was specifically doing the "random" thing for the bonus xp to get my level 10 up to 15 ASAP... It seems 3 or 4 of us last night were 10-14 but one person was a vet so we just didn't have the DPS or heals to get the bosses down..

So I cannot pre group with some fellow lowbies and then queue for a random normal? Seems like that would be the way to go?!

You should always have enough DPS/heals to complete a dungeon through the group finder. That you are low level should not matter, because the battle leveling will compensate by bringing your stats up. It is just a matter of knowing the mechanics and what to do. One of the few times i used the group finder(on a vet level DK tank), our healer was only level 10 and we completed imperial prison even(which is one of the harder dungeons).
    Edited by Sharee on October 4, 2016 9:48AM
  • Wolfhammer
    Wolfhammer
    ✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »

You should always have enough DPS/heals to complete a dungeon through the group finder. That you are low level should not matter, because the battle leveling will compensate by bringing your stats up. It is just a matter of knowing the mechanics and what to do. One of the few times i used the group finder(on a vet level DK tank), our healer was only level 10 and we completed imperial prison even(which is one of the harder dungeons).

Well we didn't for some reason... 1st and second mini bosses took easily 10 minutes to burn down.. Being one shot by some abilities certainly didn't help....lol
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »

Well we didn't for some reason... 1st and second mini bosses took easily 10 minutes to burn down.. Being one shot by some abilities certainly didn't help....lol

It is important to know how the bosses work. When you encounter an oneshot ability, there is usually some trick to it.

For example, the clannfear boss in that dungeon has an attack where he rushes a random party member, knocks him down(cannot be broken out of), then does an attack that oneshots the victim before he can get up. The trick is that the oneshot-attack has a short cast time and can be interrupted. So the tank needs to rush the boss and bash him before he can kill the part member lying on his back.

Also, having at least somewhat good equipment helps. The battle-level system does take into accout what you are wearing. If you didn't already, take up crafting and make yourself a suit of armor. it does not have to be super good, simple white stuff already makes a lot of difference. There are even sets you can craft at low levels (that require only two traits researched).
  • Wolfhammer
    Wolfhammer
    ✭✭✭
    So is any of the above going to be affected by 1Tam due tomorrow for PC??
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So is any of the above going to be affected by 1Tam due tomorrow for PC??

Not really. It will just become less confusing since all mobs will be CP level 160, in and out of dungeons(actually their level won;t be even shown anymore since its pointless ), and you will be battle leveled to CP150 all the time, not just while grouped with a high level player.