Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

New to lvl50, what to do, how to gear?

Puxo1105
Puxo1105
Just got to level 50 before I hit the bed, and time to start "playing at max level" now so what... what to do?
I know its time to get champion points (at 10 atm) and that I should work to 160, as this is the "gear cap" or what you should call it, right?
I have main story quest left to do, and also dlc quests (skyshards, delves etc)
Dungeons I know of, gonna wait with veterna until higher CP =)

But other then that, new things on lvl50? Like dailys etc?
Or is it just keep doing story/dlc/sidequests?
What I have understand you can do quest lines in other alliance now? (have mostly focused on main line in each map for skill points so far)

----

Playing as a caster/healer Templar - Going to focus on healing, but have skills in desto staff and damage skills ofc too, using light armor.

As for gear, how to think on gearing? Just keep doing as 1-50 when you going 1-160CP? And just take whta you get and replace when you find new etc.
Crafting, should I start focus on this now?
Have mostly used crafting so far to replace a item that is low lvl with a white (same time as deconstruct all I have found etc)
Tailoring/Enchanting/Alchemy/Cooking is what I use, not touch woodworking/blacksmith
I have read about crafted set, but how does it work? Should I care now or wait with focus on this when I hit 160CP+?
Sometimes I feel its a waste to even care about crafting as me and my friends got decent with drops anyways. But does this change at higher CP?

/Thanks
  • AntMan100673
    AntMan100673
    ✭✭✭
    I'd continue questing etc to get the skill points, as well as the other alliances areas you'll also now have access to craglorn (they'll be a cart in your alliances capital that can take you there for the 1st time). Craglorn is aimed at groups however with the one tamriel update a lot of it is being revamped to make it solo friendly. Other content like trials are probably best left until you're CP160.

For gear I'm not sure what's the best advice to give you. When I got to 50 (under the old vet system) is when I switched from using dropped gear to using crafted sets. I got sets at what is now CP10, CP50, CP100 and CP160. It took significantly longer to level up under the veteran rank system though (when I got to VR16 which is the equivalent of CP160 I had 320 champion points).

If you're struggling with the difficulty of the content then get yourself some crafted set gear even if it means buying material / paying a crafter. If you're not struggling then if you've got the material you might as well craft yourself some set gear as the bonuses are always nice to have and it's not like the material is useful for anything else. Below CP160 I wouldn't bother improving anything above blue quality (purple for weapons if you've got enough).

If you want to gain champion points quickly to get to CP160 then use the activity finder to do a random normal dungeon. With the enlightenment bonus it's worth a load of xp. If you haven't done the quest in the group dungeon before you can also get a skill point. If you pick up the undaunted pledge quest before queuing (in your alliances capital) and get given that dungeon as your random one you can also get an undaunted key (save these until you are CP160) and you can use these to get monster set shoulders
    EU - EP - Dunmer - Dragonknight - Magicka DPS - CP160

GT: AntMan100673
  • Pandorii
    Pandorii
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Start researching traits ASAP. They're real time-locked, so the sooner the better. You don't need any skill points on crafts to start researching, but it can help to boost the speed at which you research and how many items you can research if you decide to allocate a few points to it.

First trait, say a training trait, from a gear piece you looted, will take like 3 hrs. Second might take 5. By the 4th, it could be a day, and the 9th will be like 28 to 30 days.
    *research is literally the process of learning how to craft a weapon trait from a piece you found. Different sets require different number of traits to craft, ranging from 2 to 9. It can be any 2, but it depends on the piece you want to craft.

Starting early is important, since this is one of the most real time consuming things in the game. The second is leveling up your mount. Be sure to do that every 20 hrs. Everything else is the grind: for cp, for mats, for gear, for undaunted, for keys, etc.

At level 50, you can do both undaunted vet and non-vet dailies. I recommend doing at least the random normal and the normal undaunted pledge until 160 and save your undaunted keys for when you hit 160.

Gearwise, you won't be cr 10 for long, so I wouldn't invest in anything fancy, but if you do invest a little, it'll make the grind to 160 less painful.

Be sure to do your harborage quest line all the way through cold harbour (6 hour quest line there) until you finish the storyline. You get skill points from those quests, decent experience, a good story, and you unlock the Cadwell silver quest line, which gives you access to a ton of skill point rewarding quests. This might be less relevant with one tamriel. I'd still recommend though. =)
    Edited by Pandorii on October 1, 2016 9:19AM
  • Puxo1105
    Puxo1105
    I'd continue questing etc to get the skill points, as well as the other alliances areas you'll also now have access to craglorn (they'll be a cart in your alliances capital that can take you there for the 1st time). Craglorn is aimed at groups however with the one tamriel update a lot of it is being revamped to make it solo friendly. Other content like trials are probably best left until you're CP160.

For gear I'm not sure what's the best advice to give you. When I got to 50 (under the old vet system) is when I switched from using dropped gear to using crafted sets. I got sets at what is now CP10, CP50, CP100 and CP160. It took significantly longer to level up under the veteran rank system though (when I got to VR16 which is the equivalent of CP160 I had 320 champion points).

If you're struggling with the difficulty of the content then get yourself some crafted set gear even if it means buying material / paying a crafter. If you're not struggling then if you've got the material you might as well craft yourself some set gear as the bonuses are always nice to have and it's not like the material is useful for anything else. Below CP160 I wouldn't bother improving anything above blue quality (purple for weapons if you've got enough).

If you want to gain champion points quickly to get to CP160 then use the activity finder to do a random normal dungeon. With the enlightenment bonus it's worth a load of xp. If you haven't done the quest in the group dungeon before you can also get a skill point. If you pick up the undaunted pledge quest before queuing (in your alliances capital) and get given that dungeon as your random one you can also get an undaunted key (save these until you are CP160) and you can use these to get monster set shoulders

I will cont questing when I dont have other things to do =) Just for skill points etc.

Improving gear is nothing I have planned to do before 160+ as I dont want to replace a good item I have improved etc with a new one 1 hour later^^

I have looked on some easier set gear that increase magica recover so maybe should try get some =) So I dont starve as much with healing until I get better gear^^
    Pandorii wrote: »
    Start researching traits ASAP. They're real time-locked, so the sooner the better. You don't need any skill points on crafts to start researching, but it can help to boost the speed at which you research and how many items you can research if you decide to allocate a few points to it.

First trait, say a training trait, from a gear piece you looted, will take like 3 hrs. Second might take 5. By the 4th, it could be a day, and the 9th will be like 28 to 30 days.
    *research is literally the process of learning how to craft a weapon trait from a piece you found. Different sets require different number of traits to craft, ranging from 2 to 9. It can be any 2, but it depends on the piece you want to craft.

Starting early is important, since this is one of the most real time consuming things in the game. The second is leveling up your mount. Be sure to do that every 20 hrs. Everything else is the grind: for cp, for mats, for gear, for undaunted, for keys, etc.

At level 50, you can do both undaunted vet and non-vet dailies. I recommend doing at least the random normal and the normal undaunted pledge until 160 and save your undaunted keys for when you hit 160.

Gearwise, you won't be cr 10 for long, so I wouldn't invest in anything fancy, but if you do invest a little, it'll make the grind to 160 less painful.

Be sure to do your harborage quest line all the way through cold harbour (6 hour quest line there) until you finish the storyline. You get skill points from those quests, decent experience, a good story, and you unlock the Cadwell silver quest line, which gives you access to a ton of skill point rewarding quests. This might be less relevant with one tamriel. I'd still recommend though. =)

Traits is something I research when I can :) atleast for light armor.
    But is it an idea to grab woodworking and blacksmithing to be able to craft weapons etc and start research tratis there too? And same with medium armor?

I have sold all my gear I havent had used for, but how much use do we have for gold if you not goign to min/max and get the aboslut best gear?

Havent played for so long time, 5days now :) So mount and stuff like that is not that high yet. =) But something I try remeber.

Working on my main story quest line (if thats you mean with harborage)

Let say I want to craft 5x Armor of Seducer (reduce magica cost 8%, and magica recover etc), It says I need 3 traits unlocked.
    Does that mean, if I have 3 traits unlocked on chest armor, I can craft a Seducer Chest, but not gloves? So If I want 5x in that set I need to unlock 5x3traits? :)

Sounds abit that before I have all that researched I would have found a bunch of good gear. And as that gear I craft is white, I would need to atleast bring it too blue to get it decent. And for 5x items would need some materials.

Right of my head, crafting feels so bad and unneeded, but sametime, crafting materials is free =)
    But is it worth too keep level up crafting and put skill points into it, and also maybe get woodworking for staffs etc (feel like no need for blacksmithing as a light armor caster?)
    Or opionio on that?^^
  • Elephant42
    Elephant42
    ✭✭✭✭
    Puxo1105 wrote: »
    Let say I want to craft 5x Armor of Seducer (reduce magica cost 8%, and magica recover etc), It says I need 3 traits unlocked.
    Does that mean, if I have 3 traits unlocked on chest armor, I can craft a Seducer Chest, but not gloves? So If I want 5x in that set I need to unlock 5x3traits? :)-snip-
    You are correct.
    Puxo1105 wrote: »
    -snip-But is it worth too keep level up crafting and put skill points into it, and also maybe get woodworking for staffs etc (feel like no need for blacksmithing as a light armor caster?)
    Or opionio on that?^^
    I like to be self sufficient so my opinion is that it's worth the effort and time. If you can find a friendly guild or two and don't mind being dependant on others for your crafting needs, then maybe not so much. Only you can make this decision.

Also regarding blacksmithing should you decide to level crafting, don't forget that you might decide later on to level another character who DOES require weapons and HA. It would be good if your crafter was in a position to be able to supply that new alt right out of the gate.