Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Should skills in PvE and PvP be balanced separately?

Danksta
Danksta
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
Edited by Danksta on September 30, 2016 2:44PM
BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

Should skills in PvE and PvP be balanced separately? 63 votes

Yes (reasons)
69%
Nestorlaurajfthesilverball_ESOold_mufasaSunraYolokin_SwagonbornSedrethiNewBlacksmurfDiviniusLark82BarsNebthet78noxayloxub17_ESOstarlizard70ub17_ESOKhaos_Banewhiteshadow711jppreub18_ESObottleofsyrupAeladiirWolfchild07Tandor 44 votes
No (reasons)
26%
OsteosJkahrrRadnarLava_CroftPotenzaGhost-ShotDelgentCogoDubhliamViveunCyrusAryaVifentnaneverJahneeOsusmitdscpuScientistDasovaruilosthankyourat 17 votes
Other
3%
Riga_MortisThornen 2 votes
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes (reasons)
    The only negative I can think of that would come from this is that people would want different skills and morphs for PvE vs. PvP. To combat this issue I also think we should get to use different skills and morphs while in Cyrodiil.

So, for example, I'm a level 30 just going to Cyrodiil for the first time. Upon entering Cyrodiil I would reselect skills and morphs that would then only be used in PvP areas. After leaving Cyrodiil I would then return to the previous skills and morphs selected before entering Cyrodiil.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Prof_Bawbag
    Prof_Bawbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Not really fussed, but wouldn't lose sleep if they were changed for each playstyle. However, wouldn't it be a major ballache for those who fleet in and out of both to keep changing up their skills or having to reset them because what they opted for is underwhelming or not practical in their respective modes?
  • Thornen
    Thornen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Pretty sure Zos have openly said that this will not be happening, but I am too lazy to track down which ESO live I saw it on.
  • akl77
    akl77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes (reasons)
    We need variety, for example PVE skills gets old quickly, we need different play style and skill for PVP.
    Pc na
  • AgentSylo
    AgentSylo
    ✭✭✭
    Yes (reasons)
    Yes it should, another mmo have done this and it makes such a better quality of life implement. Sometimes things need to have a tweek without affecting the other.

Tbh though I don't know why zos are so slow on implementing some things, console txt chat should of been a day 1 feature, duelling should of been a day one feature, they are a bit behind in so many things, still love the game though :)
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes (reasons)
    Cause less PvE nerfs.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes (reasons)
    Thornen wrote: »
    Pretty sure Zos have openly said that this will not be happening, but I am too lazy to track down which ESO live I saw it on.

I'm sure they have. I was kind of hoping to get some good reasons why it wouldn't be done.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Thornen
    Thornen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Danksta wrote: »

I'm sure they have. I was kind of hoping to get some good reasons why it wouldn't be done.

Basically they don't have the development time to balance 2 sets of skills.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes (reasons)
    Danksta wrote: »

Basically they don't have the development time to balance 2 sets of skills.

I would think it would cost them more time now, but save time later because they won't need to the constant balancing.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes (reasons)
    Yes
    BUT in order for this to occur, PvE and PvP would need their own skills. It can be the same skill names but the effects and use have to be game mode specific.

It's an obvious direction but one that will be as huge as One Tamriel....hoping it happens in 2017
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes (reasons)
    Once they have PvE "balanced", whatever that is, it can be left alone.

In fact, it would give them more time to spend balancing PvP.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes (reasons)
    Yes
    BUT in order for this to occur, PvE and PvP would need their own skills. It can be the same skill names but the effects and use have to be game mode specific.

It's an obvious direction but one that will be as huge as One Tamriel....hoping it happens in 2017

I 100% agree and would add that they give each character different "loadouts" for skills and CPs that would change without cost when switching from a PvE to PvP area, or vice versa.

I also think if this was implemented it would encourage more players to enjoy the whole game, both PvE and PvP.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• shadowwraith666
    shadowwraith666
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes (reasons)
    if there were separate pve and pvp skillsets it would eliminate the so-called exploit skills in cryodiil i.e gap closers which btw i consider to be perfectly valid tactics.
    • Vicktor Bloodtail - L42 Argonian Magblade, Werewolf - EP
    • Xarxes - L31 Dunmer Sorc, Vampire - EP
    • Lichtspear - L21 Argonian Temp - EP
    • Rajka Fireclaw - L21 Khajit DK - AD

PS4 EU
    Spill some blood for me dear brother
    Vicente Valtiere, Dark Brotherhood, Oblivion
  • WalksonGraves
    WalksonGraves
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes (reasons)
    It's impossible to balance when the game is designed for pve. Maybe if we had huge hp pools like npcs do it would make sense but a dps build kills you in 2-3 seconds and healer or tank can't really hurt anyone. Wtf is a tank to do without taunts? This isn't ctf.
  • Riga_Mortis
    Riga_Mortis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    The only way Id vote yes would be if ZoS seperated PvP and PvE totally. So any armour and weapons earned by PvE means, couldnt be used PvP and vice versa.

XBOX 1X
    GT - TAGNUTZ
  • cynaes
    cynaes
    ✭✭✭
    Yes (reasons)
    Hell, yes!
    The way it is now, every change made to achieve that elusive beast named balance in PvP potentially and unnecessarily ruins perfectly fine PvE game play (that doesn't mean there can't be balance passes at the PvE side of things).
    I love how Guild Wars works that way.
  • Lava_Croft
    Lava_Croft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No (reasons)
    All ZOS needs is a decent designer for abilities.
  • Delgent
    Delgent
    ✭✭✭
    No (reasons)
    With BoP coming and PvP'ers having to do more PvE for BoP sets, after they scream for 'x' to be nerfed because it's OP in Cyrodil, they can come to PvE looking for BoP gear, and wonder why 'x' is so bad!

(/sarcasm - check)
    (hate BoP change - check)
    (All boxes checked, proceed to post)
    Edited by Delgent on September 30, 2016 4:24PM
    To live for good is to die in the name of honor.
    SEEK AND DESTROY
  • linoge63
    linoge63
    ✭✭✭
    Yes (reasons)
    Dazza1968 wrote: »
    The only way Id vote yes would be if ZoS seperated PvP and PvE totally. So any armour and weapons earned by PvE means, couldnt be used PvP and vice versa.

Agreed. Total separation, nothing in PVE can be used on pvp and visa versa.

• DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes (reasons)
    This is the biggest problem in most games. You can't balance skills that can be used in both PvP and PvE. The PvE skills are designed around mobs with millions of hp.

If you want it to be balanced there either needs to be two versions of every skill, or skills that can only be used in PvP so they can be balanced for other enemies with player level hp pools.
  • AgentSylo
    AgentSylo
    ✭✭✭
    Yes (reasons)
    It can be done as other mmos (or one that I know of) has done, an it was a successful implement for both worlds.

As for development time? I'm not sure how big zos development team are, but for a game this big I assume it's a pretty decent size, so what I'm getting at here is.. A certain mmo has done this with a smaller development team on an mmo that has a lot more abilities then eso does.

So yes it is possible, id rather more Dev time in this instead of novelty/crown store stuff ;)
  • Ghost-Shot
    Ghost-Shot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No (reasons)
    Skills should be balanced around PvP and PvE encounters should be tuned accordingly for that balance. WoW took an interesting approach to PvP balance with Legion by assigning a base stat template that is buffed by .1% per item level over 800 for each spec when you enter a battle ground or arena so item level 900 is a 10% power increase in PvP versus a 100% increase in PvE. This allows them to ensure balance in PvP while still rewarding high gear levels and avoid effecting PvE with PvP balance.

This would never work in ESO though because we don't have specs. Maybe if they required you to pick a spec (magicka/stamina, not your actual build) at some point they could apply this take on balance but I don't see that happening.
    Edited by Ghost-Shot on September 30, 2016 5:53PM