The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)

Healer Help Please

gamer559
gamer559
✭✭✭
Hi new to ESO but long time MMO player. I am planning on playing mainly a Templar healer and doing mainly PVE. I like the perks you get from using a healing staff but I have a question about the active abilities of the healing staff tree. Are they even worth getting and using? I know the passive abilities are really good but the active ones seem to be underwhelming and underpowered. I picked up the first talent and it was a really weak heal so I stopped using it. I picked up the second talent which does a HOT but who it actually heals is really random. I would have someone targeted and they would be close to me but I would say 90% of the time it goes to someone else even when morphed to be a direct heal when they are low HP. So I guess I should be asking, should I even bother with the active healing staff talents? Also what talents should I be picking up for healing spells under the Templar class spells? And what should I morph those spells into?

Thanks ahead of time for any and all help you guys can provide to me.
  • DHale
    DHale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need all your passive from Templar tree and healing staff it's the sum of the parts. The other Templar skills help healing healing goes up with spell critical, more max magic, and increased spell damage. Dawns wrath and aedric spear abilities influence this. Also mages guild skill line and assault and support undaunted. Overall my advice is don't skimp. All skills and passives.

Must have skills:
    Breath of life
    Repentance
    Ritual or retribution or extended
    Focus rune (magic regen)
    Blazing spear (luminous does not give AOE damage and magic return is min)
    Puncturing sweeps

Structured entropy
    Inner light
    Heavy resto attacks

Magic morph of power of the light for ult gen and minor sorcery.

You can heal every dungeon in the game with the above.
    Edited by DHale on September 29, 2016 12:49AM
    Sorcerna, proud beta sorc. RIP April 2014 to May 31 2016 DArk Brotherhood. Out of retirement for negates and encases. Sorcerna will be going back into retirement to be my main crafter Fall 2018. Because an 8 k shield is f ing useless. Died because of baddies on the forum. Too much qq too little pew pew. 16 AD 2 DC. 0 EP cause they bad, CP 2300 plus 18 level 50 toons. NA, PC, Grey Host#SORCLIVESMATTER actually they don’t or they wouldn’t keep getting nerfed constantly.
  • mobicera
    mobicera
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Combat Prayer should never leave a healers bar.
    Try to keep everyone buffed with it at all times.
    Healing springs has it uses as well notably trials. Regen targeting is all bugged right now but it is still useful as a pre fight on the run buff.
    Radiant oppression can be used to add some decent dps as well as the passives can provide buffs increasing group dps.
    I prefer luminous shards over blazing spear myself.
    Though not a healing staff or Templar spell you should also look at getting aggressive warhorm for your ultimate(pvp skill).
    Healing in ESO is both keeping the groups health up and keeping them buffed.
    Always have breath of life, repentance, ritual of retribution, focus rune on your load out.
    Try to use repentance to keep people topped up as things die during fights as this will save you magicka allowing you to use it for more dps.
    I don't bother with structured entropy myself though it is useful and the cheapest way to self buff major sorcery for a templar.
    Edited by mobicera on September 29, 2016 1:38AM
  • RAGUNAnoOne
    RAGUNAnoOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regeneration is bugged but when it works it can be useful

Although the advice the others are giving is great there is no one size fits all for healers and you must also consider the content and especially the group. But overall you should experiment yourself first until you unlock all the moves.

Examples
    All mag NBs in your group= combat prayer being a burden due to it applying the same buff as grim focus a common move and overriding the 20 second bezerk with the 8second version

in a large group= the grand healing being almost essential

Lots of magicka builds= the final undaunted move being well appreciated.
    PS4 NA
    Argonian Master Race

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Support Tail armor and tail ribbons: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/236333/concept-tail-armor-for-beast-races#latest
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/246134/request-dyeable-tail-ribbons
  • akl77
    akl77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In resto tree:
    Healing Spring (morph of ground healing) is a must for trials, not so much in 4 man dungeon.
    Mutagen, I no longer use, as other Templar skill much better.
    Combat prayer, yes slot it if possible, it buffs up everyone for resistance and damage increase.
    Buble shield, I don't use it, as breath of life will heal the person to full, shield won't.
    Siphon, I don't use, other Templar DPS skill much better.

My set up is resto staff, with extended retribution, radiation oppression, breath of life, repentance, shards.
    Pc na
  • Totalitarian
    Totalitarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mobicera wrote: »

In trials, I agree 100% with you.

But for dungeons, you're buffing the DPS of your group by 8%. So, let's assume that your 2 DPS throw out 30k single target DPS each, and your Tank 10k. A sum of 70k DPS, when buffed with Combat Prayer, is 75.6k DPS. As a healer, if you can slot a skill that contributes >= 5.6k DPS, then you're better off taking that skill instead of Combat Prayer. Although, if you have spare room, you should take both.

Of course, this falls apart in a trial situation, because now you have 8 DPS who are putting out 30k each with an offtank at 15k, and a main tank at 5k,. So, a total of 260k DPS. With Combat Prayer, that's 280.8k DPS. So each healer would have to contribute >= 10.4k DPS with that slot, but when you take into account Combat Prayer being the main heal too, it makes much more sense to use Combat Prayer instead.

Note I assumed healers had 0 DPS contribution, which is untrue. A trials healer should put out ~5k DPS, and a dungeon healer varies.
    PC NA CP 531+
    Aedric Fury Sits Around Doing Nothing
    Sola Auroron Magicka Templar
    Lunaria Chimeri Magicka Dragonknight
    The Chosen of the Storm Stamina Sorcerer
    Ward-Scales Magicka Nightblade
    Sanctius Luxen Stamina Templar
    Nerwaye Auroron Magicka Sorcerer
    Warden Vyrkyl Stamina Dragonknight
    The Ninth Adventurer Stamina Nightblade
    Magna-Sola Magicka Templar
    The Celestial Lady Magicka Templar
    Read their adventures!
    The Celestial Lady
  • Devve777
    Devve777
    ✭✭
    akl77 wrote: »
    In resto tree:
    Healing Spring (morph of ground healing) is a must for trials, not so much in 4 man dungeon.
    Mutagen, I no longer use, as other Templar skill much better.
    Combat prayer, yes slot it if possible, it buffs up everyone for resistance and damage increase.
    Buble shield, I don't use it, as breath of life will heal the person to full, shield won't.
    Siphon, I don't use, other Templar DPS skill much better.

My set up is resto staff, with extended retribution, radiation oppression, breath of life, repentance, shards.

Siphon is not intended as a DPS ability. the Siphon Spirit morph has a 1%(max MAG) return.. its not a 'must have' ability, but for trials it def has its uses. SS + EleDrain, you looking at an extra 1k ish Magicka regen for most builds. That is a huge buff to your dps' sustain in longer duration fights.

as for my opinion on healing with a templar as a whole, there are so many way to do it and be efficient.

[Combat Prayer] I do agree is a 'must have', but id say it is a 'must have' per group, not per healer. Most any other class has this slotted regardless as a primary heal, but for a templar that can viewed as a FLEX spot depending on group comp. for majority of trials, you are stacked up so no need for multiple healers to run this ability. you have a few other things you can flex that out for to better suit you group; one of which being the previously mentioned [siphon spirit].

regen/mutagen are good for 4man dungeons, but honestly in trials they are complete trash simply for as mentioned above, they are buggy on targeting currently. now once they get the targeting priority fixed back, itll be back to being a 'must have' as it can heal like a truck. just dont know who you gonna heal in its current state lol.

as a templar, alot of trial content(referring to normals) you can solo heal with just [Healing Springs] and [Healing Ritual]. maybe a BoL every now and then.. Ill be the first to tell you is a trash ability that has little to no use outside of this specific task, but for this one thing it can shine!..

Other than that, throw on SPC set, spam Ritual of Ret and BoL and call it a day.
  • Devve777
    Devve777
    ✭✭
    Ill add, for 4man dungeons:

with a crit heal build, you can actually throw out as much dps as an actual dps with the right loadout. For this reason, [Combat Prayer] gets dropped to make room for my dps rotation. only 2heals on my bars are Ritual of Retribution and BoL. all champ points devouted to DPS.

^this by no means is acceptable in trials.. but for 4mans, it makes things go much smoother and MUCH faster!
  • gamer559
    gamer559
    ✭✭✭
    DHale wrote: »
    You need all your passive from Templar tree and healing staff it's the sum of the parts. The other Templar skills help healing healing goes up with spell critical, more max magic, and increased spell damage. Dawns wrath and aedric spear abilities influence this. Also mages guild skill line and assault and support undaunted. Overall my advice is don't skimp. All skills and passives.

Must have skills:
    Breath of life
    Repentance
    Focus rune (magic regen)
    Puncturing sweeps

Structured entropy
    Inner light
    Heavy resto attacks

What skill trees or starting talents are all of these in? I was just looking at my templar and couldn't find most of these talents
  • Viveun
    Viveun
    ✭✭✭

But for dungeons, you're buffing the DPS of your group by 8%. So, let's assume that your 2 DPS throw out 30k single target DPS each, and your Tank 10k. A sum of 70k DPS, when buffed with Combat Prayer, is 75.6k DPS. As a healer, if you can slot a skill that contributes >= 5.6k DPS, then you're better off taking that skill instead of Combat Prayer. Although, if you have spare room, you should take both.

Of course, this falls apart in a trial situation, because now you have 8 DPS who are putting out 30k each with an offtank at 15k, and a main tank at 5k,. So, a total of 260k DPS. With Combat Prayer, that's 280.8k DPS. So each healer would have to contribute >= 10.4k DPS with that slot, but when you take into account Combat Prayer being the main heal too, it makes much more sense to use Combat Prayer instead.

Note I assumed healers had 0 DPS contribution, which is untrue. A trials healer should put out ~5k DPS, and a dungeon healer varies.

This assumes that Combat Prayer is the sole damage buff you're running, however when used with a full buff rotation that measly 8% becomes far more significant. Running SPC/IA I keep the following buffs up as often as possible in all content.

PARTY BUFFS
    Aggressive Warhorn ulti: +10% Stam/Magicka, 30% more crit damage
    Rapid Regen: procs SPC for 258 weap/spell dam
    Combat Prayer: +8% tooltip damage
    Purifying Light: +5% spell dam
    Heavy Attack: +8% dam taken

Regarding your question, OP, restoration staff skills are necessary but largely situational in use.

Healing Springs (morph of Grand Healing): OP main heal for trials and combat with limited mobility (requires stacking). It's a HoT but it stacks with itself so that you can get up to a 12k health per sec tick in your circle. It's also far more cost effective than BoL.
    Rapid Regen/Mutagen: More of a utility skill than an actual dependable heal. This is usually slotted to keep a set ability procced (SPC/Gossamer/Transmutation)
    Combat Prayer (morph of Blessings of Protection): Again, not really used for the actually heal but for the damage buff.
    Healing Ward (morph of Steadfast Ward): Really awesome for PvP healing, but I don't find it cost effective in dungeons/trials.
    Siphon Spirit (morph of Force Siphon): Used for the magicka dps resource management, but it has a cast time. So I prefer running ele drain/orbs.
  • Cryptical
    Cryptical
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    gamer559 wrote: »
    DHale wrote: »

Must have skills:
    Breath of life
    Repentance
    Focus rune (magic regen)
    Puncturing sweeps

Structured entropy
    Inner light
    Heavy resto attacks

What skill trees or starting talents are all of these in? I was just looking at my templar and couldn't find most of these talents

During early game, you'll be rocking your solo damage and small group things, but mainly your solo things. As you motor on down the road, you'll pick up the skill points that allow you to begin exercising those important abilities.

Nothing you do in early game is set in stone. You'll be spending skill points on the garbage powers and letting them sit on your bar so the skill line gets leveled, and then later you'll "respec" which means pay some gold to a shrine to have those skill points returned to you so they can be re-spent elsewhere.

So, it doesn't matter that you don't know where a lot of that stuff is at this exact moment, because you don't need to plan out your level 50 situation right now. Actually, you don't even really *need* to an your level 50 situation until level 50.

So don't forget to have fun and enjoy the game along the way to max level, or you'll arrive at the endgame areas without having really played the middle game or early game.
    Xbox NA
  • gamerguy757
    gamerguy757
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I rock this:
    5x Healer
    5x Kags
    Double VMA Restoration
    Argonian
    Atronach

Bar 1:
    Healing Springs
    Repetence
    Rapid Regeneration
    Breath of Life
    Luminous Shards

Bar 2:
    Healing Springs
    Combat Prayer
    Radiant Destruction
    Channeled Focus
    Ritual of Retribution
  • gamer559
    gamer559
    ✭✭✭
    Another question for you guys. Should I be going pure magika enchantments on my gear or should I be mixing in magika recovery in slots too? I ask because I notice I'm going OOM frequently and have to use magika potions on nearly every boss fight. What about food? Magika recovery or increase magika?
  • DHale
    DHale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go food, more health plus the more magic you have the more you heal as healing correlates to the amount of maximum magic and other factors. I like to put everything into cost reduction first 100 in the cp tree. Level alchemy for medicinal use. Then in magic recovery. Ripping off heavy restos in between heals is a good way to get back magic.
    Edited by DHale on October 4, 2016 2:53PM
    Sorcerna, proud beta sorc. RIP April 2014 to May 31 2016 DArk Brotherhood. Out of retirement for negates and encases. Sorcerna will be going back into retirement to be my main crafter Fall 2018. Because an 8 k shield is f ing useless. Died because of baddies on the forum. Too much qq too little pew pew. 16 AD 2 DC. 0 EP cause they bad, CP 2300 plus 18 level 50 toons. NA, PC, Grey Host#SORCLIVESMATTER actually they don’t or they wouldn’t keep getting nerfed constantly.
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    gamer559 wrote: »
    Hi new to ESO but long time MMO player. I am planning on playing mainly a Templar healer and doing mainly PVE. I like the perks you get from using a healing staff but I have a question about the active abilities of the healing staff tree. Are they even worth getting and using? I know the passive abilities are really good but the active ones seem to be underwhelming and underpowered. I picked up the first talent and it was a really weak heal so I stopped using it. I picked up the second talent which does a HOT but who it actually heals is really random. I would have someone targeted and they would be close to me but I would say 90% of the time it goes to someone else even when morphed to be a direct heal when they are low HP. So I guess I should be asking, should I even bother with the active healing staff talents? Also what talents should I be picking up for healing spells under the Templar class spells? And what should I morph those spells into?

Thanks ahead of time for any and all help you guys can provide to me.

As a Templar healer, you can almost always forego Mutagen / Rapid Regen in favor of Ritual (extended or retribution). In summary, it's a superior option for Templar healers because it offers more bang-for-buck, such as granting Major Mending, serving as a HoT, and proccing SPC / Goss / Transmutation / etc. There is an issue with Mutagen / Rapid Regen currently as it does not prioritize targets properly.

Healing Ward / Ward Ally is not something you will need for pve healing, unless you do an unconventional setup (BoL pretty much covers this one completely). It can be useful in pvp, however.

All other Resto Staff skills are vital skills to use when healing trials. Healing Springs is the most efficient method of healing, and in the majority of encounters, allies will be stacked for it. Springs is also the most effective way to proc SPC / Goss / Trans / etc. (similar to Ritual), and, if you're using a Master's Resto on at least one bar, is also the most effective way to return stamina to your party. Note that Shards is the most effective stamina return for a single target, however when two or more allies are in the equation, Master's Resto enchant becomes more efficient and effective.

Combat Prayer is vital for your group to provide extra resistances and damage. All competitive trials groups strive to maintain constant up-time on Combat Prayer.

Siphon Spirit is particularly valuable for your group if you have magicka dps. In an ideal trial setting, one healer will be maintaining this buff, while the other will be maintaining Ele Drain. It's not necessary for all encounters, but it provides benefits other than returning magicka as well, such as the ability to proc SPC / Goss / Trans / etc.
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    All magic enchants on armor.....jewelry you have some options. Spell Damage, Spell Cost Reduction, Magic Regeneration. I like cost reduction. You can use the unresistable damage/restore magic enchants on weapons maybe. I go resto/destro staff.

Resto bar looks like

Channel
    Ritual of retribution
    Combat Prayer
    Healing Springs
    Inner Light

Destro bar

Wall of elements
    Puncturing sweeps/Radiant Destruction
    Luminous Shards
    Repentance
    Inner light

Use magic spell power/Crit potions. Use potions a lot. Get used to using potions. If your still leveling, use the trash magic potions you get from dungeons. They are part of all endgame builds.
    Blue food max health max magic is best for PvE dungeons.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello @gamer559

You may be new to ESO, but your instincts are more on target than some of the advice that you are getting in this thread. The restoration staff is an inefficient weapon that offers mediocre skills.

You are running out of magicka mostly because you are new and don't have a lot of CP points. Until you get enough CPs to lower costs / raise regeneration, I would absolutely wear 5 pieces of Seducer gear. It's a crafted set so you'll probably need someone to make it for you, but it's cheap so asking nicely and providing a crafter with the raw materials will be enough to do the trick. For dungeons, Food is pretty much needed to get the right amount of health, but there is a drink that increase health and magicka regen that is absolutely worth trying. I also would recommend the atronach mundas stone until you get enough CPs. You can only put health, magicka, or stamina enchants on armor: all that should be magicka. On your jewelry, you can put magic regen and either that or reduce magicka cost is what I would do for all 3 pieces. If you do each of these steps there is zero way you should ever run out of magicka and that's not hyperbole.

As for the restoration staff, here is the deal with it's 5 skills:

Healing Springs (take this morph by the way). This skill is actually good. It is weak if you cast it once. When you cast it 4 or 5 times on a area in which your teammates are in, they will not die until it wears off. Any time there is a lot of damage (think trash packs), your DPS should NOT be spread out and use this to keep them alive. You dont need to spam it constantly, 3 or 4 is usually enough, after which you can do other things. This spell is VERY efficient magicka wise and should be used in any instance where continuous healing is needed (if is much more efficient than Breath of Life).

Regeneration In a group of 4 (i.e. a dungeon run), just cast this twice and everyone has a heal over time for 15 seconds or so. It's just an average spell, but using it you spend less time casting your expensive burst heals so I do think it's worth it.

Combat Prayer The only purpose this spell has is the 8% damage buff. You and your team have to be positioned correctly to even consider relying on this as a heal and even then, you are going to have to cast this twice if your team has taken a lot of damage because the heal is quite modest. I personally do not use this spell because it's not a reliable heal and I run a damage ability (say Elemental blockade) that will do more damage than the 8%.

Healing Ward You won't use this because the Templar Breath of Life spell is better.

Siphon Spirit. This spell is the most inefficient in the game. Do not use this. The amount it heals for is insignificant (that is not hyperbole), it has a cooldown on those heals, it has a cast-time that will at times prevent you from healing your tank, and the amount of magicka return is outdone by a better elemental drain skill aside from being useless for half your group. People who advocate this are just parroting advice from a much older version of ESO, when the spell functioned differently and was actually pretty strong. If you're a long time MMO player, you understand that a game may change to make a spell poor, that is what happened here.

So, yeah, I basically use only two of these skills and one of them is just average (but makes you a more efficient).

I am a huge advocate that your other weapon should be a lightning staff. A lightning staff allows you to use elemental blockade (which is by far the best magicka DPS ability) and a lightning staff heavy attack acts as a AOE. A lightning wall + lightning heavy attack means you aren't just healing, but making legit DPS contributions
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello @gamer559

You may be new to ESO, but your instincts are more on target than some of the advice that you are getting in this thread. The restoration staff is an inefficient weapon that offers mediocre skills.

You are running out of magicka mostly because you are new and don't have a lot of CP points. Until you get enough CPs to lower costs / raise regeneration, I would absolutely wear 5 pieces of Seducer gear. It's a crafted set so you'll probably need someone to make it for you, but it's cheap so asking nicely and providing a crafter with the raw materials will be enough to do the trick. For dungeons, Food is pretty much needed to get the right amount of health, but there is a drink that increase health and magicka regen that is absolutely worth trying. I also would recommend the atronach mundas stone until you get enough CPs. You can only put health, magicka, or stamina enchants on armor: all that should be magicka. On your jewelry, you can put magic regen and either that or reduce magicka cost is what I would do for all 3 pieces. If you do each of these steps there is zero way you should ever run out of magicka and that's not hyperbole.

Healing Springs (take this morph by the way). This skill is actually good. It is weak if you cast it once. When you cast it 4 or 5 times on a area in which your teammates are in, they will not die until it wears off. Any time there is a lot of damage (think trash packs), your DPS should NOT be spread out and use this to keep them alive. You dont need to spam it constantly, 3 or 4 is usually enough, after which you can do other things. This spell is VERY efficient magicka wise and should be used in any instance where continuous healing is needed (if is much more efficient than Breath of Life).

Regeneration In a group of 4 (i.e. a dungeon run), just cast this twice and everyone has a heal over time for 15 seconds or so. It's just an average spell, but using it you spend less time casting your expensive burst heals so I do think it's worth it.

Combat Prayer The only purpose this spell has is the 8% damage buff. You and your team have to be positioned correctly to even consider relying on this as a heal and even then, you are going to have to cast this twice if your team has taken a lot of damage because the heal is quite modest. I personally do not use this spell because it's not a reliable heal and I run a damage ability (say Elemental blockade) that will do more damage than the 8%.

Healing Ward You won't use this because the Templar Breath of Life spell is better.

Siphon Spirit. This spell is the most inefficient in the game. Do not use this. The amount it heals for is insignificant (that is not hyperbole), it has a cooldown on those heals, it has a cast-time that will at times prevent you from healing your tank, and the amount of magicka return is outdone by a better elemental drain skill aside from being useless for half your group. People who advocate this are just parroting advice from a much older version of ESO, when the spell functioned differently and was actually pretty strong. If you're a long time MMO player, you understand that a game may change to make a spell poor, that is what happened here.

So, yeah, I basically use only two of these skills and one of them is just average (but makes you a more efficient).

I am a huge advocate that your other weapon should be a lightning staff. A lightning staff allows you to use elemental blockade (which is by far the best magicka DPS ability) and a lightning staff heavy attack acts as a AOE. A lightning wall + lightning heavy attack means you aren't just healing, but making legit DPS contributions

I bolded a few things I feel are inaccurate. I think there is room for discretion on these things, so I don't want to outright disagree, but I do think there is more value here than you are giving credit for.

To roughly illustrate the value of Combat Prayer (completely ignoring the survivability component), if we have 9 dps all pulling 30k or better, Combat Prayer will increase the group's overall dps by a minimum of 20k - and your heavy attack + blockade is not doing 20k or better. Off-balance is nice and I won't disagree with its use as a secondary weapon, but unless you're using IA and using more than heavy attack + blockade, you are most definitely not pulling more than that 8% for your party (and I was quite conservative with my maths here - chances are at least half of those dps are doing a fair bit higher than 30k). If the healing component is too weak, it's likely indicative that magicka and SD could be raised (your values may be fine, but your overall verdict here is inconsistent with my own findings).

I respectfully disagree with your opinion of Siphon Spirit. The magicka return on it is only slightly less than that of Ele Drain, except Ele Drain can't proc SPC & Gossamer like Siphon can. The cast time is a minor concern... there shouldn't be an issue healing around a 1s cast, even on hardmode trial bosses, for an experienced healer.

I agree with you on Healing Springs, but I'd also note that it can proc SPC and Gossamer. Again here I'd note the healing component of Springs is more valuable than you let off. The healing capacity of Springs is substantially higher than that of any other healing skill in ESO. It is only outshined by burst heals (including BoL), and only in certain circumstances (i.e. one or two people are where they shouldn't be - which eludes to a whole separate topic of raid awareness and positioning). I've since changed my build, but for the sake of comparison I'd note that I have achieved over 10k crits on a single tick of Springs (this is way overkill - the point is that it's not a weak heal).

Regeneration is wasted on a Templar imho. Ritual is a comparable heal, doesn't suffer from the targeting bug that Regen does, and still has the potential to proc SPC and Gossamer, all in addition to affording consistent up-time on Major Mending.
    Edited by Autolycus on October 5, 2016 3:34PM
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Autolycus wrote: »
    Hello @gamer559

I bolded a few things I feel are inaccurate. I think there is room for discretion on these things, so I don't want to outright disagree, but I do think there is more value here than you are giving credit for.

To roughly illustrate the value of Combat Prayer (completely ignoring the survivability component), if we have 9 dps all pulling 30k or better, Combat Prayer will increase the group's overall dps by a minimum of 20k - and your heavy attack + blockade is not doing 20k or better. Off-balance is nice and I won't disagree with its use as a secondary weapon, but unless you're using IA and using more than heavy attack + blockade, you are most definitely not pulling more than that 8% for your party (and I was quite conservative with my maths here - chances are at least half of those dps are doing a fair bit higher than 30k). If the healing component is too weak, it's likely indicative that magicka and SD could be raised (your values may be fine, but your overall verdict here is inconsistent with my own findings).

I respectfully disagree with your opinion of Siphon Spirit. The magicka return on it is only slightly less than that of Ele Drain, except Ele Drain can't proc SPC & Gossamer like Siphon can. The cast time is a minor concern... there shouldn't be an issue healing around a 1s cast, even on hardmode trial bosses, for an experienced healer.

I agree with you on Healing Springs, but I'd also note that it can proc SPC and Gossamer. Again here I'd note the healing component of Springs is more valuable than you let off. The healing capacity of Springs is substantially higher than that of any other healing skill in ESO. It is only outshined by burst heals (including BoL), and only in certain circumstances (i.e. one or two people are where they shouldn't be - which eludes to a whole separate topic of raid awareness and positioning). I've since changed my build, but for the sake of comparison I'd note that I have achieved over 10k crits on a single tick of Springs (this is way overkill - the point is that it's not a weak heal).

Regeneration is wasted on a Templar imho. Ritual is a comparable heal, doesn't suffer from the targeting bug that Regen does, and still has the potential to proc SPC and Gossamer, all in addition to affording consistent up-time on Major Mending.

He's a new healer asking for advice about the basic skills in the game and you are referring to trials with elite DPS and wearing hard to get gear like Gossamer. That sort of advice isn't relevant if he's looking to clear pledges and he certainly isn't going to get 10K heal per tick on a healing springs if he's running out of magicka.
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For the OP @gamer559 when your healing, start your rotation with Foucs or Cleansing ritual and it's morps extended ritual and ritual of retribution gives you major mending 25%stronger heals. With your healrs Habit set that's 33% stronger heals. It makes your heals very strong.

I don't use Breath of life cause it's expensive to use and makes me run out of magic quick. Most times if someone's health drops that quick there's not much I can do to save them. My ritual of retribution heals tick 6k heals/2 seconds and does a little damage :wink:

Repentance starts out as restoring aura....which is not very good but repentance is awesome skill to use once you can morph it. Keep remembering to use it every few bodies in combat to make best use of it. It's not so good to replenish everyone's resources after the fights already over

I also usually zoom the camera out as far I can. So you can see the circle target spot for your springs better.

Many Healers also go the vampire route for regeneration. Also for the vampire ultimate, because most the Templar Ultimates are poo.

Other good Ultimates for Healers are Barrier or warhorn, but you have to do some PvP Cyrodil to unlock it.

• Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Autolycus wrote: »
    Hello @gamer559

He's a new healer asking for advice about the basic skills in the game and you are referring to trials with elite DPS and wearing hard to get gear like Gossamer. That sort of advice isn't relevant if he's looking to clear pledges and he certainly isn't going to get 10K heal per tick on a healing springs if he's running out of magicka.

Telling him/her that the resto skills are bad or useless is far worse than informing him/her as to what is needed for endgame content. I wish someone had taken the time to explain to me why doing dps as a healer is a waste of time, rather than disclaiming resto staff almost outright. You aren't doing any favors to new players by telling them that resto staff skills are bad, because they are the cream-and-crop of healing for all classes, without any doubt. There's no reason to withhold information from new players, even if it pertains to minor nuances, else it will take them far longer to get to where they need to be do the tougher content. Plus, my illustrations were very rough and very conservative. The examples I provided are not indicative of an "elite" group - those numbers are attainable by players without vMA weapons and little experience. The purpose was to illustrate why those skills are useful, and regardless of whether you agree with me or not, the OP will have learned something valuable from my posts. More valuable than "don't ever use this," for sure.

Gossamer isn't difficult to get, and now SPC isn't either. Healer's habit (while not nearly as good as it used to be) is much more challenging I'd say than either of these, yet you see new players running around with it all the time. I take "new" players into trials all the time, and normal trials are easy enough for any player. The mere fact that you would suggest a new player isn't ready for trials is disappointing when normal trials are easier than vet dungeons. So I see no excuses here, just false info.
    Edited by Autolycus on October 6, 2016 3:00PM
  • Totalitarian
    Totalitarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Viveun wrote: »

This assumes that Combat Prayer is the sole damage buff you're running, however when used with a full buff rotation that measly 8% becomes far more significant. Running SPC/IA I keep the following buffs up as often as possible in all content.

Actually, if you keep all the buffs the same, outside of Combat Prayer, you get this:

(1.08)*(BuffMultiplier)*DamageFunctionA and BuffMultiplier*DamageFunctionB

This reduces to 1.08*DamageFunctionA and DamageFunctionB

To make 1.08*DamageFuctionA <= DamageFunctionB, you need to make DamageFunctionB, which is simply a function that you can theoretically calculate that measures your group's damage done as a function of time, have a derivative that is bigger than (d/dt)[1.08*DamageFunctionA(t)], or if you don't understand what a derivative is (which is perfectly fine), the DPS of B is greater than Minor Berserk * DPS of A (DPS is really the time derivative of a function that respresents damage dealt), which you can accomplish by slotting a skill (which is open because of no Combat Prayer) that contributes more than 8% DPS to the group.

I'm showing that in the end, if you keep all the buffs and debuffs except Minor Berserk, you just need to slot a single skill that increases your group's DPS by over 8% for it to be worth taking over Combat Prayer, because all those damage buffs end up canceling out in the end.

Again, it a trial, Combat Prayer is better than any DPS spell you can take as a healer, because of the big heal, and the increase in group DPS that it provides.
    PC NA CP 531+
    Aedric Fury Sits Around Doing Nothing
    Sola Auroron Magicka Templar
    Lunaria Chimeri Magicka Dragonknight
    The Chosen of the Storm Stamina Sorcerer
    Ward-Scales Magicka Nightblade
    Sanctius Luxen Stamina Templar
    Nerwaye Auroron Magicka Sorcerer
    Warden Vyrkyl Stamina Dragonknight
    The Ninth Adventurer Stamina Nightblade
    Magna-Sola Magicka Templar
    The Celestial Lady Magicka Templar