The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

The Varen unveiling *Spoilers*

carljokl
carljokl
✭✭✭
I got to the point in the the main quest on 3 of my alts recently where Varen unveils his true identity.

It did make me think how the Vestage speech options and Varens behaviour assumes a lot about how the Vestage would react to this situation.

Varen assumes that it is best that you not know his true identity that you wouldn't want to help him or at worsted you might want to kill him.

He make a big deal of the current situation being all his fault. Is this really fair?

Did he have a clue that a soul burst was even possible let alone causing one?
He certainly could not have wanted it. Even if taking the angle of being irresponsible, what do you think the worsted outcome he could anticipate? It just didn't work and nothing happened? Akatosh was angry with him and punished him?

It was Mannimarco who made the claim that it was possible to make him Dragonborn. Mannimarco who anticipated the soul burst and persuaded Varen to pursue this course.

I understand from Varen's perspective he feels very guilty about it all. Would the vestige really blame him though? Five people were involved in the events causing the soul burst.

I tend to think at least the vestages I have played wouldn't care even if Varen hand been honest about who he was from the start.
One of my characters I could picture being insulted not for deception directly but for insulting his intelligence in thinking he wouldn't figure out who Varen was even without him saying anything. The recollections of events of the 5 companions was quite vivid after all, as it would be for someone who was actually present. The fact that his back story only seems to begin with finding scholars of the elder scrolls and devoting himself to their study.

If it wasn't for the help of members of the 5 companions the vestige would still be stuck in the wailing prison. That at least should be motivation to help them. Jakarn thinks its enough motivation just because he is good looking then because he saved him he is invested in keeping him alive.
Edited by carljokl on September 29, 2016 8:21AM
My Characters

Xargothius: Breton - JOAT / Magsorc | Orchid the Fair: Orismer - Crafter / Heavy Tank | Voneri Vox: Dunmer - Magplar Healer | Rexorgiana: Imperial - Temptress / Magblade
Phirkius: Altmer - MagSorc | Rexorigus: Imperial - Med Tank / StamKnight | Sven Svedishchef: Nord - Provisioner / Stamplar | Finds-All-Fungi: Argonian - Alchemist/ Stamblade
Emerald-Wild-Guard: Bosmer - Wyrd / StamSorc | Nates Datum Festi: Imperial - Light Tank / StamKnight | Magnolia Desert-Blossom: Redguard - 2 Handed Stamplar | Shadow-Softpaw: Khajiit - StamBlade
Sorcerer | Dragon Knight | Templar | Night Blade