The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Would you like more Action Keys?

Xargas13
Xargas13
✭✭✭
Hi! Recently bought ESO and really enjoying it, but the only thing that troubles me are the limited action buttons. I understand that you can't bind everything to the letter keys because of interaction with the world, but I think one thing can be done. For example total number of action bar can be extended to 6 (I think everyone's fingers can reach that far), then instead of just swap weapons add sub actions bars. By that I mean just switch to other action bars with different set of abilities. Keys that can be assigned for example can be SHIFT+1, then SHIFT+2 etc. To make it interesting a little bit it would be fun if they would add Stamina+Mana cost, or just Stamina or Mana. I am still a noob at this game so maybe I don't understand the reason behind limited actions keys but I think they game would be even more fun with this option.
Edited by Xargas13 on September 28, 2016 7:43AM

Would you like more Action Keys? 29 votes

Terrible idea
72%
wayfarerxmilesrodneymcneely2_ESOjedtb16_ESOJoeSchlockmertustaElsonsoShanjijriredspecter23FfastylXvorgBone_DemonAcsvfIwakuraLain42AverageJo3Gam3rLuigi_VampaUnsent.SoulBandit1215DasovaruilosSiphoneerTreeHugger1 21 votes
Good idea
27%
MojmirWolfhammerShastigreyloximdoinktxtorpedoTheAngelofDeath99RATAHATA 8 votes
  • IwakuraLain42
    IwakuraLain42
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Terrible idea
    This only would work if this would be keyboad/mouse PC-only game. But there are the Console ports and the Controller GUI for the PC, so everything must work there as well. If you look the PS4 or XB controller you'll see the limited number of buttons (which are already complicating actions like dodge roll or synergy).
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Terrible idea
    um... once you hit lvl15 you have two action bars that can be swapped in combat.
  • Xargas13
    Xargas13
    ✭✭✭
    Two action bars is not enough, for me at least. As for XB, PS4 issue, they could assign buttons like hold one and hit the other, I checked controls for XB and it seems something like that have been implemented already, so if they add a four more combinations isn't a big of a deal, i think.

PS: possible combination for XB LB+Y/B/A/X, that's 4 more slots, I'm sure something like that can be done for PS4 too.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Terrible idea
    The game is designed around the limitation of 5 abilities + 1 ultimate. To add more abilities would stretch the balance that those limitations provide. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but the back end balancing work would be greater that you realize. Also a simple yes/no option for your poll would be less biased. While I don't agree with adding more abilities, I don't think it's a "terrible idea".
  • Yamenstein
    Yamenstein
    ✭✭✭✭
    Terrible idea
    This game is balanced around the 5 abilities + 1 ultimate. It doesn't need anymore. I doubt it will ever change, and I hope it doesn't, so you'll just have to learn how to deal with it. Not only does it balance it but it also helps with all the different builds you can play around with. Yes a meta exists, but not everyone can play like the pro's. CP + the skills you use for your flex spots help figure out your own play style.

I'm now imagining ESO with the number of skills as SWTOR and WoW, with ESO gameplay. Terrible idea. You technically have 10 spots + 2 ults, so it should be enough for this kind of game. It's not simply about adding more slots for you to use. Lot more thought needs to go into this than "oh yeah next incremental patch we can give you guys more slots all good".

EDIT: "mana" did you come from WoW? =P Or am I just making an ass out of u and me.
    Edited by Yamenstein on September 28, 2016 1:23PM
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Terrible idea
    The game has more option than 5 (10) skills and 1 (2) ultis... you have besides that:

1- Light attack
    2- Heavy attack
    3- Full heavy attack
    4- Bash
    5- Dodge roll
    6- Block

So, in total you have 18 different combat options, whicj is a good number IMHO
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are not supposed to have one bar to slay them all.

You are given a bar that you can change up and reorder according to that which your going to fight. The bar I use overland is not the same bar I use in Public Dungeons or in Group Dungeons, and the bar I use in Group Dungeons depends on who I am with and what role I am playing. Take a moment to re-slot skills before you go into content that requires it, and (5+1)2 is more than enough skills for a rotation.

Edited by Nestor on September 28, 2016 7:15PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Unsent.Soul
    Unsent.Soul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Terrible idea
    Xargas13 wrote: »
    Two action bars is not enough, for me at least. As for XB, PS4 issue, they could assign buttons like hold one and hit the other, I checked controls for XB and it seems something like that have been implemented already, so if they add a four more combinations isn't a big of a deal, i think.

PS: possible combination for XB LB+Y/B/A/X, that's 4 more slots, I'm sure something like that can be done for PS4 too.

No... consoles don't need more "Y+B" options.... do you think before you post? Those "combos" rarely work correctly.

Pc master race aside, think about the big picture, not what works just for you.

This game has worked well with 5 actions and an ultimate for 2 years now.
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Terrible idea
    I used to think this was a good idea back in beta but I quickly came around. The limited number of skills you can slot is a major factor in defining your build. It's as much about what skills you don't take as it is about the ones you do.

Now that I'm used to it I don't think I could go back to the I-have-50-buttons-on-my-screen WoW-style of combat.
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • Wolfchild07
    Wolfchild07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as I would like an extra slot or 2, even if it/they were restricted to utility only abilities such as buffs, it won't happen. But I come from the old age of games like NWN when 36 slots still weren't enough. :P
  • Wolfhammer
    Wolfhammer
    ✭✭✭
    Good idea
    I'm with ya OP - 2 more slots per bar would be perfect..

And we have people wanting more skill lines in the game lol Fairly pointless with the amount of extra lines we already have these days.. Got no-where to put a good amount of stuff already.

And no, don't go there - I want 2 extra slots per bar, no stupid anecdotes about WoW skill bars.
    Wolfhammer - Templar serving the Alith guild on EU
  • IwakuraLain42
    IwakuraLain42
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Terrible idea

No... consoles don't need more "Y+B" options.... do you think before you post? Those "combos" rarely work correctly.

Pc master race aside, think about the big picture, not what works just for you.

This is exactly the problem, we already have 2 combos on Console (dodge roll and synergy) and both are somewhat unreliable. Please don't add of this.
  • Wolfhammer
    Wolfhammer
    ✭✭✭
    Good idea

And why can't it work better with more? It certainly would for me..
    Wolfhammer - Templar serving the Alith guild on EU