The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Weird letter from Kurog

Xvorg
Xvorg
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
While replaying EP, I found a misinon in Deshan in which you have to kill some orcs (The Oathbound). The thing is that one of the items you have to get is a contract related to the mission.

Well, here's the contract... look at the title and the content.

8fe533908c9c415facc0462cbe859fd2.png
65378cdfbc7249c8b6cba1307f9eaabb.png

Some doubts about it:

1- Why is Kurog trying to please Mauloch (Malacath)? Wasn't he a follower of Trinimac?
2- Why does he uses the word "Mauloch" instead of Malacath?
3- The second part of the letter mentions "absolution" against crimes to Daggerfall Covenant, which is inconsistent with Kurog's position at the Orsinum DLC (where he does not accept Emeric's help)

One explanation could be related to the times when Kurog lived in Daggerfall, but if I recall well, he wasn't king then.

I think this letter should be done again to make it consistent with the game's story.
Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
In the wrong house
With the wrong ascendancy
I took the wrong road
That led to the wrong tendencies
I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
On the wrong day of the wrong week
Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The letter was likely written before the DLC story had been finalised. I believe in early development, Kurog and the "Covenant Orcs" were to be worshippers of Mauloch, and they were to be in opposition with the "Non-Covenant Orcs" who worshipped Malacath. According to Lawrence Schick: Re: Malacath/Mauloch: Some Orcs in the Covenant have been deliberately referring to Malacath as Mauloch so as to sort-of whitewash the fact that they worship a Daedric Prince. What, Mauloch, a Daedric Prince? No, not a bit of it!. This was likely changed from Mauloch to Trinimac later on to bring out the difference between him and Malacath a bit more. Beyond that, Kurog is still a leader of the Daggerfall Covenant, whether he accepts Emeric's help or not, so absolving crimes against the Covenant is reasonable.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Therwind
    Therwind
    ✭✭✭
    Nice find :)
  • LrdRahvin
    LrdRahvin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The letter is part of a greater conspiracy aimed at getting you to spell Deshaan correctly.
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    LrdRahvin wrote: »
    The letter is part of a greater conspiracy aimed at getting you to spell Deshaan correctly.

It's the Saxhleel spelling :oknot:
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique