Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Are all DLC built around Stamina Builds?

2ndcovenant_ESO
Hi folks.My highest level character is a redguard stamsorc which I have to say is an AoE Weapon of Mass Destruction. He's definitely not the best for single target kills but for AoE he can wipe out mobs fast. Recently, just to try something different, I switched his ability scores to magicka and changed his skills to the same, magicka, because I wanted to try the magicka side. It's redundant to say I know, but it's just *not the same. I find that killing mobs takes a lot longer and I can get overwhelmed pretty quick. This is mostly in Hew's Bane though, which brings forth my question. As a stam based character, I had almost maxed out the TG quest line andvdid so pretty easily. For the last two ranks in the TG, and the last couple of quests, I found that being magicka based was a lot harder. As a Thief, I know that I shouldn't be fighting my way through heists and such but I admit that having extra stamina and gear like Night's Silence (5 pieces) had me moving through places like those pretty well and fast. I have barely touched DB or Wrothgar and haven't gotten into pvp yet at all. I just beat the Main quest a couple of weeks ago so I am only CP90 and in Silver Cadwell. I can't help but picture Cadwell as a chocolate covered candy because I keep accidentally calling him Cadbury in my head (as in Cadbury Chocolate Eggs) and his hat reminds me of an easter basket or a halloween cauldron. Anyhoo, I have to wonder since DB, I am guessing, revolves around stealth as well, are all of the DLC built around stamina based characters so far??? If so that's fine I guess but ZOS ought to make a DLC built around the Aylieds or something magicka related at some point. My stamsorc is a killer for sure but I was hoping to try some magicka based characters. Magicka based characters seem to be getting the short end of the stick but that's just a current view; my best magicka based is a level 32 templar... I just don't know if he will do well as a TG/DB character too.
"*** Chi: A brave man likes the feel of nature on his face, Jack.
Egg Shen: Yeah, and a wise man has enough sense to get in out of the rain!" - Big Trouble in Little China
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are a Redguard, so you won't get much out of Magicka builds. Make a magicka DK for insane AoE DPS.
  • 2ndcovenant_ESO
    Hmmm. I might just try that in a couple of hours. I haven't tried DK much even though I have really thought about it. They look fun and I like a challenge. Right now I am laying in bed bored to tears but if I get up to play ESO while my grandson is sleeping 3 feet away from the pc and I wake him up, my wife will flip out, then laugh, then make me stay up with him lol. It's all good though.
    Egg Shen: Yeah, and a wise man has enough sense to get in out of the rain!" - Big Trouble in Little China
  • 2ndcovenant_ESO
    Crazy question, is a DElf still better than an Altmer for DK or did that change any after SotH?
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do find it easier to grind as a stamina character. For stam sorc, just run around with hurricane and go into helicopter mode (steel tornado), Templar I can grind for days because of repentance giving me back health and stam.
    Sadly magicka counterparts don't really unlock their true AOE potential until later on (ie: DKs inhale, Nightblades sap essence). Even the destruction staff impulse isn't unlocked until rank 38 or something.
    Magplars probably have it the easiest to begin with by unlocking sweeps the second they start a character. This has some AOE and heals them for every mob hit. Sustain is a bit of an issue though as repentance doesn't really benefit them much *HINT HINT ZOS*
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    susmitds wrote: »
    You are a Redguard, so you won't get much out of Magicka builds. Make a magicka DK for insane AoE DPS.
    And make that magDK a strong magic race. I have one who's a Bosmer, which doesn't really help. :p
  • Lexifer452
    Lexifer452
    ✭✭
    Is it possible that you are having a harder time playing your character magicka-based because you haven't fully leveled all the appropriate skill lines yet? Destruction staff, mage's guild, etc.

Could just be you're more comfortable with a stamina-based character. When I switched to stamina on my dk and my sorc it took me a good while before I got used to playing them properly.

Also, you did switch out of night's silence to a magicka-oriented gear setup right? I ask because i don't know how familiar you are with the character building aspects of eso so please don't take offense at that question.
  • 2ndcovenant_ESO
    @Lexifer452 Actually those questions were insightful. My "magsorc" is also a strong crafter with literally all of the crafting skills maxed other than alchemy (which is my level currently) and enchanting and I have maxed out all of their sub-skills so that I can make everything. I, of course, am still working on getting all of the traits. In answer to the armor question, I am using 5 piece night's silence with 3 piece Seducer's armor so I do need to switch armors. I was only using Night's Silence to finish off the TG quest line and get the final quest reward (no spoilers from me lol). I think that you are dead on with the learning curve too. I am "used to" my stamina side but even though I love playing a magicka character it's been a long time since I have played one and I have never had one higher than 32. So, I am going to try the magDK route and see how that goes.

@Rosveen I did make the only DK in my character roster tonight! Dark elf.

Thanks everyone.
  • 2ndcovenant_ESO
    @Alucardo You made a great point that I hadn't ever considered about magicka characters getting AoE kind of later in life. I will have to keep that in mind. I am so used to hitting hurricane and steel tornado like you said and just tearing through mobs from the get go. As a mag, I will have to get used to starting out with single target attacks and then getting AoE later.