The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Returning from 2014 ESO, have lots of questions, need help please.

ElfStewart
ElfStewart
Soul Shriven
Hello everyone I'd like to thank you in advance for your time in reading and responding to my questions. I'm hoping for some equally valuable and constructive responses that can help me wrap my head around this game, I'm not looking for one sentence answers, but thanks anyway. I do have previous MMO experience with WoW 2004-2010, and some stints with games like STWOR, so I'm no barebones 'noob', but I'm no expert these days, so the help is welcomed. I'm posting this with full intentions to listen, and to take constructive advice openly, so please don't feel overwhelmed by my curiosity in this lengthy post.

I purchased ESO back on release date, and didn't get past level 19 on any of the characters, and then had to stop playing it due to constraints. I am now back again to play more regularly and more dedicatedly, so I have a ton of questions regarding ALL THINGS CURRENT CONTENT, as I see that assuming nearly anything is the same since 2014 is very unrealistic. This has made a lot of Google searches redundant as well as YouTube videos which hasn't helped me look at things such as relevant leveling builds, professions, grinding spots etc. And up until I reach Veteran rank, good builds that can suit current raids. I myself have thought it is better to ask current players rather than looking up old videos and articles that won't ever again be updated with relevant changes and new information. This game is ever-changing and updating so I know a lot of skilled and knowledgeable people should be here that can help me out.

So, where to start.... I have the Imperial class, and the any race, any faction addons. and my pre-existing characters back when I made them in 2014 were designed to play along friends or go solo (Both mainly for PvE):
  • I have a Khajiit Nightblade that was intended for DPS (I managed to get Werewolf on this early on, before it was purchasable).
  • I have an Imperial Dragonknight that was intended for tanking.
  • I have a Dark Elf Templar that was intended for healing (I managed to get Vampire early on, before it was purchasable).
  • I have a High Elf Sorcerer that was intended for DPS/Healing depending on the situation

I chose those race/class combos based on racials at the time to suit what I thought was a balanced and suitable choice for their roles in PvE world quests/Dungeons (As I hardly PvP unless the rewards are good enough for the timesink). I'm sure they're most likely outdated now, which leads to my next question...
  1. Q: Are those race-class combos still good enough when looking toward endgame and usefulness? Or have some of their racials become useless in 2016 ESO up to recent patch? Or should I reroll as a different race in order to benefit from better racials..

I've currently logged onto each character, and there have been wipes on all skills, I have got my Dark Elf Templar into the best build I can think of (While I'm levelling it, it's level 27 at the moment), and this leads me to the next question...
  1. Q: Aside from this forum, are there any OTHER supplementary websites for ESO gameplay info or regularly updating blogs that keep up to date on this game with advanced and detailed information such as levelling guides, good tips and tricks (Not cheap exploits/cheating) that are still relevant up to current date? Please let me know if you know of any places that are worth looking at for this, so long as they are informative detailed, and perhaps constructive and unbiased.

Since I've been playing, it has certainly improved a lot and is a lot more fun than I remember it, but the urge to get to maximum level in order to do raids, and enjoy things as they are intended. So, I'm looking at some decent ways to level skills faster. This leads me to my next question....
  1. Q: Unlike other Elder Scrolls games, certain conditions must be made in order to level skills. How does the skill leveling system affect equipped weapon skills (Main hand, and Offhand sets)?
  2. Q2: Are there any quick or effective methods to grind skill lines faster, especially slow ones such as Vampirism and Werewolf, or certain guilds?

That takes me to guilds, and their questlines. I am currently pursuing through the Mages guild on my Dark Elf Templar, and I am no longer getting any further quests which leads me to the next question...
  1. Q: Are certain questlines such as the Mages Guild one (I'm doing the books of Sheogorath, up to 4th one) spaced out so they can't be completed in one sitting? When you progress through ones like this, are you only offered more quests at certain level brackets?
  2. Q: What professions are more valuable than others in order to have a good amount of gold? And which professions are sort of redundant now?

I have a ton more questions, but I honestly will leave it at that, so thanks for your help.
Edited by ElfStewart on September 21, 2016 9:44AM
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Your class and races combos are all fairly good, but I would do either Altmer or Argonian for the healer. Argonians recently got a buff that increases their healing done and recieved by 5%.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
    Options
  • Vifen
    Vifen
    ✭✭✭
    1. Your class combos are great.

2. You can try and check the fextralife wiki where you can check up most of the information concerning this game. I also invite you to check reddit, I know there's also a significant community there. For ideas on builds, explanations or strategy, I usually check out youtubers such as Alcast, Deltia's Gaming, Fengrush, Sypher amongst many others. Some also hold they're own websites.

• In order to level up class skill lines, you need to equip said skills on your bar. When you gain xp by doing quests or killing mobs... the skill lines associated with the equipped skill go up, allowing you to unlock new skills. Depending on how many skills you're using, the skill line will lvl up faster (having 5+ulti of storm calling when the XP is gained will make it lvl up 6times faster than if you had just 1 skill). The skill itself has a progression bar that goes up when you gain xp. It gets stronger and allows you to morph it. Offhand does not matter.
    • To level up weapon and armor skill lines, you need to have the pieces equipped (no offhand). Having skills associated with each skill line on your bar makes it level up faster. Offhand does not matter.
    • I don't know anything about werewolf and vampires though. For Mage's guild, you need to read lore books to make the skill line progress. For Fighter's guild, you need to kill undead and for Undaunted, you need to complete dungeons. For World, you need to complete the main quest.
    • All of this information can be seen when you hover you mouse over the respective skill line's names.
    • Check the sources I gave you and the forums, there are plenty of tutorials and grind locations to level up faster. If you do it perfectly, you can reach level 50 in 6 hours. At this point you don't get any skills points from leveling up. But you will level up Champion Points (CP for short). The first 100 are easy to aquire, you can spend them on CP trees for more bonuses. CP is account wide and when any of your character reach lvl50, they get the CP you earned up until now.
    • Also, to level up your Mage's guild skill line faster, I suggest you use an addon that shows you lorebooks locations on your map. There's also an addon for skyshards. Addon can be found here

The Mage's guild, Fighter's guild quest and the main quests are given depending on your level. When you reach the needed lvl, you will generally encounter someone to give you the next quest when you pass through any town.

4.2. They are tons of guides concerning money making and professions. Generally woodworking<leatherworking<blacksmithing but don't take my word for it. You can get good money from all the professions really (but I'm struggling to find customers :tongue: ). Provisioning and alchemy have a more sustained demand than gear making though. Joining a trading guild is also a very good idea and you can make a great deal of money off trading.

Here you go, I hope this helped. :smile:
    Edited by Vifen on September 22, 2016 8:14PM
    PC EU

G Strongarm - 50 sorc
    Vifen Ah - 50 dk crafter
    Options
  • Vifen
    Vifen
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yeah and Alliance War skill lines are leveled up by AP gained, not XP.
    Crafting by crafting and deconstructing (! not detroying) and doing daily writs.
    PC EU

G Strongarm - 50 sorc
    Vifen Ah - 50 dk crafter
    Options