Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Leveling Sorcerer question

john.economoub14_ESO
I have been using a pet build for the most part as I leveled up solo. I am just wondering now that I have 160 CP, does that change at all? When running solo, do most sorcerers use pets, even later on? I'm just wondering if there are other ways to effectively CC aside from pets or is it even worth the hassle?
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I stopped using pets around level 20-30. Unless you build around your pets, you may find more use in other skills.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see people with Pets all over the CP160 zones, and Caldwell's Gold too, so they can be quite effective for that. Trials and PvP, not so much, at least if your chasing leaderboard times in Trials.

There is gear and sets beneficial to Pets, like Necropetence, that you may want to seek out.

One thing you might do is have a Pet Bar and a single Target DPS bar as go along. Or you can do this with Pets on Both Bars too.

In other words, if you can make it work, then it is effective and you should have fun with it.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• john.economoub14_ESO
    Thanks Nestor for the feedback. If possible, I would like to get away from pets altogether. I found the following thread and I would ask anyone interested, to read post #5:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/217504/

Now I had also read that sorcs were nerfed a while back. Did that nerf to shields (and whatever else), now prevent the Sorc from using a non-pet rotation? I'm assuming it takes more skill to stand alone and fight 3+ mobs without pets? I am thinking though that for end-game content (especially groups), that a Sorc with stand-alone skills would be more valuable.

So yes, up till now I've been running with pets but at the cost of 4 skill slots and a lot of dps sacrificed. True, I could use just 2 slots for pets but in my mind, that just makes it all the harder to manage the pets. If there are any Sorcs out there running solo without pets, I would love to hear from you. Can it work more effectively than pets?

I've been running with Magnus/Torug's but now that I have hit 160 CP, I am wondering if there are better/other gear and weapon options to consider. Julianos? Any others that would be more beneficial? I've been using this build:

http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/1-6-6-the-unholy-herdsman-thelons-pet-build/

Under gear, I'm using the, "Without Maelstrom Staff" option and using two Torug's Pact swords on bar 2. I also bit the bullet today and changed race from Imperial (Hey, It was 2014!) to Altmer and also got rid of vampire.

Thanks again for the read and any feedback out there.
    Edited by john.economoub14_ESO on September 20, 2016 10:41PM
  • Aeaeren
    Aeaeren
    ✭✭✭
    I don't use pets. You must depend on your power surge to keep you healed up so make sure you drop Liquid Lightning and Wall of Elements for sure. I do use shield every once in awhile but for the most part I don't use them too much.

*Edit
    I use Julianos (will be changing to Twice Born) and Destro/Restro staffs and I am still a Vampire. No need to drop it just feed if you want to be normal so no extra damage.
    Edited by Aeaeren on September 21, 2016 4:50PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been running with Magnus/Torug's but now that I have hit 160 CP, I am wondering if there are better/other gear and weapon options to consider. Julianos? Any others that would be more beneficial? I've been using this build:

There are two main ways to go for a Sorcerer, Low Spell Cost and or High Regen for Sustain at the cost of ultimate Spell Damage, or Spell Damage at the expense of Sustain/Resource management. In other words, doing amazing DPS until you run out resources means your doing crappy DPS until your pools replenish. Playstyle can have a big impact on this.

But, for gear for both

5 Piece Seducer/3 Piece Magnus with Warlock or Syrbane Jewelry is a good sustain build

5 Piece Julianos/2 Piece Torugs/2 PIece Adroit (might only be CP140, but good enough)/2 Vicious Death Rings/Molag Kena Shoulder. Willpower is expensive and quite frankly, I get real close to what Willpower can do with the above combo. However this is an easily obtainable gear set up that won't cost you too much money. You can use Spell Cost Reduction enchants on the Jewelry if you want to help with Sustain. I find Cost reduction to be better than Regen buffing, but you might find the other way around to be better for you.

And, yes, I am not doing the meta of going Dual Wield to maximize spell damage, as I Weave in Destro Attacks for resource management more than anything else. So, that could bump DPS if you go DW, but that approach just bugs me to use a weapon that has nothing to do with my skills and attributes.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• john.economoub14_ESO
    Aeaeren wrote: »
    I don't use pets. You must depend on your power surge to keep you healed up so make sure you drop Liquid Lightning and Wall of Elements for sure. I do use shield every once in awhile but for the most part I don't use them too much.

*Edit
    I use Julianos (will be changing to Twice Born) and Destro/Restro staffs and I am still a Vampire. No need to drop it just feed if you want to be normal so no extra damage.

Great information from everyone. I REALLY appreciate it. I am a bit confused about your comment above to drop liquid lightning. I never used wall of elements so no big there but I literally yesterday, I morphed into liquid lightning and you're saying it's not good solo without pets?

I will ask you or Nestor to please toss me a rotation. I want to go sustain and just use Overload on both bars since I think that for solo questing and such, sustain is prob better. That may be different in dungeons. I wouldn't know because I'VE NEVER BEEN IN ONE! There I said it. Oh I may have two years ago when the game was released but now I feel so inadequate that I don't want to embarrass myself in front of others. Still, I want to practice and get ready for Maelstrom so this is really important to me.

Thanks again for the advice. I'll check back. Hoping to see a rotation soon cause I've still been using liquid lightning.
  • john.economoub14_ESO
    Nestor wrote: »

There are two main ways to go for a Sorcerer, Low Spell Cost and or High Regen for Sustain at the cost of ultimate Spell Damage, or Spell Damage at the expense of Sustain/Resource management. In other words, doing amazing DPS until you run out resources means your doing crappy DPS until your pools replenish. Playstyle can have a big impact on this.

But, for gear for both

5 Piece Seducer/3 Piece Magnus with Warlock or Syrbane Jewelry is a good sustain build

5 Piece Julianos/2 Piece Torugs/2 PIece Adroit (might only be CP140, but good enough)/2 Vicious Death Rings/Molag Kena Shoulder. Willpower is expensive and quite frankly, I get real close to what Willpower can do with the above combo. However this is an easily obtainable gear set up that won't cost you too much money. You can use Spell Cost Reduction enchants on the Jewelry if you want to help with Sustain. I find Cost reduction to be better than Regen buffing, but you might find the other way around to be better for you.

And, yes, I am not doing the meta of going Dual Wield to maximize spell damage, as I Weave in Destro Attacks for resource management more than anything else. So, that could bump DPS if you go DW, but that approach just bugs me to use a weapon that has nothing to do with my skills and attributes.

Nestor, you're the man! Very, very helpful. Since I already have some of this. I use my destro staff as well. Couple of questions though. Right now I am using the Torugs and I want to decide which way to go cause I want to make as much gold gear as possible. Now specifically regarding DW of the two swords, do they provide the spell power even if they are not being held in the hands of my character? I don't really understand this dynamic as I do most of my fighting from bar 1, the staff is usually in my hand as well. One last thing regarding gear. I have mentioned making a new set of Julianos in Reapers March and a few people suggested that I wait until One Tamriel. It is my opinion though that One Tamriel will probably only include gear from dungeons and such. Right now I'm in purple 120CP so I don't feel like I have a lot to lose by making golds now while we wait to see whats ahead. I have plenty of mats anyway. Now if you suggested the same thing, than perhaps I would wait if there's a chance at new crafted gear or something like that.

If it's not to much trouble, could you list the skills you like for the 3 bars or direct me to a build I should use? I did find this one:

http://deltiasgaming.com/2015/03/18/ignition-sorcerer-build-for-elder-scrolls-online/

but I'm not sure if it is still accurate and used today or not.