The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Quest Reward & Trait Research

carljokl
carljokl
✭✭✭
Has anyone linked trait research to quest reward items.

Most of the quest rewards are fixed. When trying to fill in the gaps of researched traits it would be handy to know if any quests rewards consist of a given item with a given trait.

On the various Elder Scrolls Wiki's I have found that there are complete lists of all the quest rewards. The trouble is that these are not referenced to be navigable by trait. They may not even be able to be organised by gear type. I am hoping it does not require going through every quest reward one by one to find out. I haven't been able to get the search engine solve this for me either.

For example, I am missing training on one handed swords. As swords are something I would like to use and I have been creating a lot of training sets it would help to find it. If I could easily find that there was a given quest in the game that rewards you with a one handed sword with training then I could aim to complete that quest.

This is just one example as I still have a fair few gaps in researched traits.
If not I may be back to leaving it to random chance. I don't fancy having to trawl through the description of every quest / reward one by one looking for something that may not be there.
My Characters

Xargothius: Breton - JOAT / Magsorc | Orchid the Fair: Orismer - Crafter / Heavy Tank | Voneri Vox: Dunmer - Magplar Healer | Rexorgiana: Imperial - Temptress / Magblade
Phirkius: Altmer - MagSorc | Rexorigus: Imperial - Med Tank / StamKnight | Sven Svedishchef: Nord - Provisioner / Stamplar | Finds-All-Fungi: Argonian - Alchemist/ Stamblade
Emerald-Wild-Guard: Bosmer - Wyrd / StamSorc | Nates Datum Festi: Imperial - Light Tank / StamKnight | Magnolia Desert-Blossom: Redguard - 2 Handed Stamplar | Shadow-Softpaw: Khajiit - StamBlade
Sorcerer | Dragon Knight | Templar | Night Blade
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You would spend less time looking in the Guild Stores for a Traited item to research. Even if the dungeon drops, in this the Uniques, all come with the same trait, the drop itself is still RNG to even get it. And it does not happen all that often.

Or, just hang out near a crafting station in a major hub and ask if someone can make the item for you.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• cjhhickman39
    cjhhickman39
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have you checked the fighters guild weapon vendor there in training if I remember right not sure if sword was available though
  • carljokl
    carljokl
    ✭✭✭
    I do have one of my guid masters who I can ask to craft one for me. I have received a few items that way. I still have a backlog of items to research, especially weapons. I did get a couple of Pauldrons crafted by him with traits I was missing. By the time a research slot came up I had ended up with another set of Pauldrons with the trait I needed from a random drop. It seems sods law that if I get someone to craft something for me with the trait I need, then I will find that trait in a random drop.

The training on armour was the first trait I focused on researching on everything. I resorted to buying some things from the guild store. I didn't like paying for some high trait set gear at epic or legendary just to be destroyed for research. The gear in guild stores is aimed at making money so only expensive high end items tend to be there.

If I am sure that my guildmaster doesn't mind crafting items with traits then it isn't a big problem (I provide all the materials needed). I haven't interacted with him closely and find it hard to gauge. For that reason I try and find gear myself as much as possible and like being self sufficient.

For my part I don't mind creating gear with traits for others and have created training sets for 2 other players so far. I didn't even get materials for it. I hope the karma comes around.

I am dreading when it gets to researching Nirnhorned.
    Edited by carljokl on September 19, 2016 4:32PM
    My Characters

Xargothius: Breton - JOAT / Magsorc | Orchid the Fair: Orismer - Crafter / Heavy Tank | Voneri Vox: Dunmer - Magplar Healer | Rexorgiana: Imperial - Temptress / Magblade
    Phirkius: Altmer - MagSorc | Rexorigus: Imperial - Med Tank / StamKnight | Sven Svedishchef: Nord - Provisioner / Stamplar | Finds-All-Fungi: Argonian - Alchemist/ Stamblade
    Emerald-Wild-Guard: Bosmer - Wyrd / StamSorc | Nates Datum Festi: Imperial - Light Tank / StamKnight | Magnolia Desert-Blossom: Redguard - 2 Handed Stamplar | Shadow-Softpaw: Khajiit - StamBlade
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    carljokl wrote: »

If I am sure that my guildmaster doesn't mind crafting items with traits then it isn't a big problem (I provide all the materials needed). I haven't interacted with him closely and find it hard to gauge. For that reason I try and find gear myself as much as possible and like being self sufficient.

First, being in a Guild means players make things for you if asked. Just the same as you would for someone else. Making a traited item for research has to be about the easiest request to fill, it does not even need a certain Crafting Station to be accessed. Sure, some people don't have time at this moment (they might be in a dungeon or something), but I can't think of anyone who will get offended if they are sent an email with some mats and a polite request to make a traited item for research. Heck, it helps me use up some excess mats I may have (in that you might get back a Galatite Sword if you sent me say Steel that I needed)

It is only when people are being jerks and demanding that the traited item be made now and sent to them immediately that any negative feelings are going to be developed.

If you don't feel like leaning on one person in the guild, you can use the Guild's Chat channel and just request a traited item to be made. Send a token of a tip and your all set. I respond to guild chat requests all the time to make traited items for people to research. Plenty of guild mates made me things when I was learning the traits, it is only fair that I return the favor to another.

Edited by Nestor on September 19, 2016 4:58PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• carljokl
    carljokl
    ✭✭✭
    The Fighter's Guild store has been a useful discovery. One of those things where managed to get this far in the game without noticing it properly. I knew that the guild sold gear but I thought it was just like any of the other weaponsmith stores and didn't look closely. Now I am able to plug two missing training traits on weapons.

It is a shame that I found a training great-sword. Then I could not see it available for research when a slot freed up. I wondered if I had researched it on an alt but could not find it anywhere. I most likely accidentally deconstructed it. That is annoying.
    My Characters