The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Craft bags is something you would see in a f2p business model!!

• JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Still less than the max of inventory for one character. Plus the bank. I juggled mats since early access. It can be done. The crafting bag makes it easier, of course, but the crafting bag isn't pay to win because it makes inventory management faster.
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    JKorr wrote: »
    As you level up your crafting skills and your character, you'll not need the lower level mats. Just talk to STEVIL about it. You get lower level mats for doing writs, in addition to whatever is appropriate level. I tried it on the pts; did ruby level writs and got a crate of regular hide.

Those people who are crafters for guilds with many members at many different levels might have issues with not being able to find lower level mats, but apparently they come in crates of 25, so one inventory slot.

I know all this.
    But if you want to craft for OTHER PEOPLE you'll rely on those mats you get from writs and you'll have to keep them over time. Of course it's not one slot, that's 50 slots (if you want to have everything OTHER PEOPLE would need).

5 crafts (wood, leather, cloth, metal, alchemy) x 10 levels = 50 slots.

Even if you went to this extreme you'd only need 5 toons. Half the time it us your character lecel, the other half your points invested into the passive. So a level 16 with no points invested gives you iron, rawhide, jute, flax, steel, rough hide, maple and (insert second tier wood here)...

So even if you went extreme, 5 toons not 50. That leaves three spaces for combat toons (dps, tank healer) with 4 additional spots purchasable to use as mules or other combat toons.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DocFrost72 wrote: »
    So even if you went extreme, 5 toons not 50.

I'm talking about inventory SLOTS, not toons.
    Besides, I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm just saying that ZOS is cleverly and ninja-wise leading all of us to the crafting bag (=sub).
    I sub already so I don't care. But their strategy is crystal clear.

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on September 18, 2016 4:25PM
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Then your issue is laughable. That is one toon as a mule...
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You don't even understand "my issue".
    50 slots is 50 slots, regardless of anything. That's 50 EXTRA slots required on top of everything ELSE, just because you cannot farm mats "on demand" (like it is now on live) , you have to pile them up somewhere.
    I don't disagree with the new node system, but I state that it requires 50 extra slots of inventory (in inventory, bank or mules, doesn't matter. That's 50 extra slots, on top of everything else.)

• Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

50 slots is 50 slots, regardless of anything. That's 50 EXTRA slots required on top of everything ELSE, just because you cannot farm mats "on demand" (like it is now on live) , you have to pile them up somewhere.
    I don't disagree with the new node system, but I state that it requires 50 extra slots of inventory (in inventory, bank or mules, doesn't matter. That's 50 extra slots, on top of everything else.)

If I understand it correctly, based on your comment "in One Tamriel, you won't be able to farm lower level crafting materials as you need them", your issue is that with One Tamriel you won't be able to go to a lower level zone and harvest the mats you need to make a lower level item for someone (and will therefore have to stockpile them). My understanding, however, is that nodes in each zone will drop half mats of that zone's level and half mats of your crafting level, in which case you will be able to pick up what you want at any time, albeit it will take twice as long as it used to.

• anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    If I understand it correctly, based on your comment "in One Tamriel, you won't be able to farm lower level crafting materials as you need them", your issue is that with One Tamriel you won't be able to go to a lower level zone and harvest the mats you need to make a lower level item for someone (and will therefore have to stockpile them). My understanding, however, is that nodes in each zone will drop half mats of that zone's level and half mats of your crafting level, in which case you will be able to pick up what you want at any time, albeit it will take twice as long as it used to.

Not exactly.

My general "issue" is that the amount of storage available to any given account (without extra crown store expenditure) remains the same while the need for storage increases drastically in the game. That's my general concern. As I said, nothing deal-breaking, but a range of stealthy moves from ZOS. It is not impossible to cope without a crafting bag, but it becomes increasingly painful to NOT have a crafting bag.

ONE of those "design moves" from ZOS is the new farming system for crafting mats below your level : crafting writs. You can't just go to a zone and pick up stuff whenever you need it. You need to do writs and to store stuff. Storing requires storage space.

Now as a crafter I like to be able to craft at all levels, so that I don't always have to require from guildies, friends or customers to provide their own mats. In order to do that without storing from crafting writs, I would need a different character for each level available : that would be 10 characters... and would require the purchase of two crown store character slots. Between all the hassle... just sub and get that damned crafting bag already, and do the damned writs, and store the stuff, problem solved.

I have no particular problem with that : the crafting bag, while not P2W at all, is a fantastic feature and a strong subbing incentive. The reason I posted in this thread was to counter the belief that "we managed without a crafting bag for 1.5 years no problem, we can carry on without a crafting bag". That's not true because the situation has changed and for many reasons (the lower level mats issue being just one of them) inventory management without a crafting bag is considerably more painful than it used to be pre-crafting-bag. And I think it would be fair from ZOS to add some 20-30 space slots purchasable with ingame gold. To narrow a bit the gap between playing with or without a crafting bag.

• DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Not exactly.

My general "issue" is that the amount of storage available to any given account (without extra crown store expenditure) remains the same while the need for storage increases drastically in the game. That's my general concern. As I said, nothing deal-breaking, but a range of stealthy moves from ZOS. It is not impossible to cope without a crafting bag, but it becomes increasingly painful to NOT have a crafting bag.

ONE of those "design moves" from ZOS is the new farming system for crafting mats below your level : crafting writs. You can't just go to a zone and pick up stuff whenever you need it. You need to do writs and to store stuff. Storing requires storage space.

Now as a crafter I like to be able to craft at all levels, so that I don't always have to require from guildies, friends or customers to provide their own mats. In order to do that without storing from crafting writs, I would need a different character for each level available : that would be 10 characters... and would require the purchase of two crown store character slots. Between all the hassle... just sub and get that damned crafting bag already, and do the damned writs, and store the stuff, problem solved.

I have no particular problem with that : the crafting bag, while not P2W at all, is a fantastic feature and a strong subbing incentive. The reason I posted in this thread was to counter the belief that "we managed without a crafting bag for 1.5 years no problem, we can carry on without a crafting bag". That's not true because the situation has changed and for many reasons (the lower level mats issue being just one of them) inventory management without a crafting bag is considerably more painful than it used to be pre-crafting-bag. And I think it would be fair from ZOS to add some 20-30 space slots purchasable with ingame gold. To narrow a bit the gap between playing with or without a crafting bag.

As I recall, they upped invetory space by 30 (or was it bank space?). The cap, so you could buy with gold.

And use your bank to hold mats, and you don't have to "dump them" any more often than you do anywhere else. Can also use the in game mail system as a pseudo holding bin.

All stuff I did pre-crown store...
    Edited by DocFrost72 on September 18, 2016 6:46PM
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I recall, they upped invetory space by 30 (or was it bank space?). The cap, so you could buy with gold.
    And use your bank to hold mats, and you don't have to "dump them" any more often than you do anywhere else. Can also use the in game mail system as a pseudo holding bin.
    All stuff I did pre-crown store...

I'm not sure about the last time they increased the storage cap, I think it was with Imperial City ? Since then, we've had tons of new ingredients, style materials, stolen stuff, sets to grind, trophies, potions, etc etc....

• Suter1972
    Suter1972
    ✭✭✭✭

Just a thought here but whats wrong with keeping the mats specific to areas. As we can got to anywhere, if a high level needs some cotton for eg, then they head off to the starter zones.

Then you don’t need to stockpile, you know where to pick up specific mats just like it is now and go get them when you need them. Cant see why that element needs changing?
    Was - Breton DC ( GIRL - Guy In Real Life toon) Magika Templar Healer/ 5-8 trait Crafter - currently CP290 and learning now starting again on xbox…...

xbox suter1972 - Character name - Hota Woskeef

Xbox EU ESO+ Mature (40+) UK casual gamer
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Suter1972 wrote: »
    Just a thought here but whats wrong with keeping the mats specific to areas. As we can got to anywhere, if a high level needs some cotton for eg, then they head off to the starter zones.

Then you don’t need to stockpile, you know where to pick up specific mats just like it is now and go get them when you need them. Cant see why that element needs changing?

Several things here :

- Zones are not "alliance-instanced" anymore. Level 1 zone for an AD char is lvl CP10 zone for a DC char, etc... It's ok if we see different things based on crafting level (that makes sense), but based on alliance ? That makes no sense.

- Players without DLC have an extremely limited access to VR15 mats currently. It's fair to have them available everywhere.

- It's the concept of One Tamriel to make us spread all over Tamriel again, and not only in the zones fitting to our level. That applies to farming materials too.

- It will also relieve the server pressure on Wrothgar if people go farming in all Tamriel and not only in Wrothgar.

- Levelled materials made sense when mobs and loot were also zone-levelled. Now that everything is scaled to CP160, it would make little sense to have lower levels mats to farm in a zone with CP160 mobs.

That's all I can think of on the top of my head, maybe @ZOS_RichLambert or anyone from ZOS has more to say about that. Or maybe forumers too lol ! Almost forgot you guys ! :)