Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

magicka sorc build

AzuraKin
AzuraKin
✭✭✭✭✭
looking for some tips to improve mage sorc dps. i have tried everything from dw to destro staff and always mage sorc has crap sustainability, and crap dps.

destro staff aoe only crits up to 8k which imo is very weak for an aoe considering sap essence can crit up to 11k and it not only does damage, but heals allies as well and costs about the same as impulse.this puts mage sorcs way below a nb in terms of aoe dps. secondly cannot sustain cast any skills, destro or class single target do not have sustainability. destroy sits at 8k regardless of using light attack and skills and with dw class it sits at about 10-12k until you run out of resources after about 20s of casting. destro staff seems to me to be way underpowered.
v160 spellsword (nightblade)
v160 restoration archmage (Templar)
v160 battlemage (sorcerer)
v160 warrior (DragonKnight)
v160 assassin (nightblade)
v160 swordsman (sorcerer)
  • bryanhaas
    bryanhaas
    ✭✭✭✭
    AzuraKin wrote: »
    looking for some tips to improve mage sorc dps. i have tried everything from dw to destro staff and always mage sorc has crap sustainability, and crap dps.

destro staff aoe only crits up to 8k which imo is very weak for an aoe considering sap essence can crit up to 11k and it not only does damage, but heals allies as well and costs about the same as impulse.this puts mage sorcs way below a nb in terms of aoe dps. secondly cannot sustain cast any skills, destro or class single target do not have sustainability. destroy sits at 8k regardless of using light attack and skills and with dw class it sits at about 10-12k until you run out of resources after about 20s of casting. destro staff seems to me to be way underpowered.

Mag Sorc is high single target DPS, any class can do anything but any class cannot be good at everything. There is always one class optimized for a certain playstyle.
    PS4 NA AD GM formerly known as GM of "The Children of the Void"

9 trait crafter I do all the things (Yes I mean ALL the things ;0).

Price list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FTV7ACtmEpQQwsEiHVcrBxC0zKaj6LKvc3An7dGG2t0/edit?usp=sharing
    Youtube: MaulochBaal https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRav05_8nWGvlTrfBBefaEw/featured
  • AzuraKin
    AzuraKin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bryanhaas wrote: »

Mag Sorc is high single target DPS, any class can do anything but any class cannot be good at everything. There is always one class optimized for a certain playstyle.

even single target dps sucks, a nb can sustain dps 50% higher in numbersr then a sorc that has only 1k less max magicka, 600 more spell power and almost double the regen.
  • DRXHarbinger
    DRXHarbinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

even single target dps sucks, a nb can sustain dps 50% higher in numbersr then a sorc that has only 1k less max magicka, 600 more spell power and almost double the regen.

NB can't sustain 38k overloads for 2 mins. That's the difference.

For a sustain fight you burn your magic down and use energy overload to build it back up and repeat.

Sorc should always have more magika than a NB.

Have you got bound aegis on? You should be at 44k without pets and necro set. Your front bar is purely, force pulse, frags, aegis, ward and inner light and meteor.

Back bar is buffs and LL.

Try and make sure you kill trash with force pulse so you get tons of magika back from the passive or kill with endless fury for 3k magika back. Play it right and you'll never struggle for sustain. You also have dark conversion. Near 5k magika back in a sec.
    PC Master Race

1001CP
    8 Flawless Toons, all Classes.
    Master Angler
    Dro-M'artha Destroyer (at last)
    Tamriel Hero
    Grand Overlord
    Every Skyshard
    Down With BOP!
  • lrjs
    lrjs
    Soul Shriven

For a sustain fight you burn your magic down and use energy overload to build it back up and repeat.

Have you got bound aegis on? You should be at 44k without pets and necro set. Your front bar is purely, force pulse, frags, aegis, ward and inner light and meteor.

Try and make sure you kill trash with force pulse so you get tons of magika back from the passive or kill with endless fury for 3k magika back. Play it right and you'll never struggle for sustain. You also have dark conversion. Near 5k magika back in a sec.

Thanks for the help, I'll certainly use this.

What does "buffs and LL" means? And what is the necro set? I'm having the same problem, can't get my sorc to be a respectable DPS. What can I use if I haven't unlocked meteor? And what is dark conversion?

Sorry! I've been struggling with this a lot! Have so many questions :(
  • Aeaeren
    Aeaeren
    ✭✭✭
    Buffs would be Power Surge and LL is Liquid Lightning. You can dump Power Surge if you use potions but I find it expensive to do and you lose out on Crit heals. Liquid Lightning is a MUST HAVE up as it does GREAT AOE damage and has a chance to proc Implosion.
  • AzuraKin
    AzuraKin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1. destro staff makes for crap dps, i can barely pull 8k dps at on a mage sorc with destro staff at maximum spell power and max magicka.
    2. frags is crap dps because you have to do minimum 3 other skills for it to proc which negates the bonus gain from 20% additional damage 50% cost reduction proc.
    3. liquid lightning, not worth using specially if its on back bar as then no chance to proc frags and also not worth having surge on back bar because by time you cast surge then liquid lightning then swap weapons do 3 force pulse then if you managed to get a proc crystal frag its time to swap weapons again meaning in out of 8s you did 1 crystal frag, 3 force pulse, 1 liquid lightning, weapons swapped 2x which is maybe 8k dps tops a far cry from the 25-35k they say a player should be pulling.
    4. even with perfect light attack weaving, a sorc cannot generate enough ult to do a cycle of burn magicka overload it back up, burn it out, overload it back up indefinitely.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1. destro staff makes for crap dps, i can barely pull 8k dps at on a mage sorc with destro staff at maximum spell power and max magicka.
    2. frags is crap dps because you have to do minimum 3 other skills for it to proc which negates the bonus gain from 20% additional damage 50% cost reduction proc.
    3. liquid lightning, not worth using specially if its on back bar as then no chance to proc frags and also not worth having surge on back bar because by time you cast surge then liquid lightning then swap weapons do 3 force pulse then if you managed to get a proc crystal frag its time to swap weapons again meaning in out of 8s you did 1 crystal frag, 3 force pulse, 1 liquid lightning, weapons swapped 2x which is maybe 8k dps tops a far cry from the 25-35k they say a player should be pulling.
    4. even with perfect light attack weaving, a sorc cannot generate enough ult to do a cycle of burn magicka overload it back up, burn it out, overload it back up indefinitely.

1. Wall of Elements + LL + weaving + Valkyn Skoria is really good for dps (I personally use Lightning staff for the AoE damage)
    2. Frags is like the best sorc move, many players can fling one for 21k alone. Keeping up a good rotation will make sure frag proc is often and reliable.
    3. LL is the most efficient dps AoEDoT in game,
    4. True, Overload needs to be used during boss burning. Wasted on mobs.
    5. Meteor is advised as an ult too

Im not gonna sit here and say mSorc is the monster they were, nor will I claim any sort of superiority. However the above posts are way too slanted against mSorc.

I still solo vet dungeons on mine, it's not as dire as they would make you believe.
    Edited by Waffennacht on September 19, 2016 8:32PM
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • AzuraKin
    AzuraKin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i can pull more dps on a 3600 regen healer templar then i can pull on a max spellpower/max magicka m.sorc.
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lightning staff for AOE, fire staff for single target. Both sharpened. I run 5 Julianos, 1 Kena, and 5 Elegant or Destruction Mastery pieces on my mag sorc, and her DPS is pretty good. Pulsar, Elemental Blockade, Boundless Storm, Power Surge, and Liquid Lightning for shock staff. Sorcs get a bonus to shock damage. Endless Fury, Crushing or Force Shock, Hardened Ward, Magelight or Structured Entropy (extra magicka or health and empower if you have Might of the Guild), and Crystal Frags for fire staff. Overload is usually on one bar, and an interchangable ultimate(ie Meteor, Storm Atronach, or Soul Assualt) is on the other.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • Drummerx04
    Drummerx04
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, 8k with max mag and spell damage? Do you use wall of elements and LL? When I put both of those on a target they pull about 9k on their own. Force pulse with light weaving brings another 8k or so, and c frag procs bring up another 2-4k depending on rng on procs and crit. Velocious Curse hits almost as hard as frags and it guaranteed to go off every 3.5 seconds.

You can put elemental drain on a target to help with magicka sustain.

And for point number 4... you know you don't need to burn all of your overload at the same time, right? I like to fight until I'm at about half magicka, then I pop overload for 6-7 shots and go back to my usual rotations. Will you sustain 35k single target dps? probably not. Will you kill pretty much everything in the game fast enough? yup.
    PC/NA - Nightfighters, Raid Leader and Officer
    Lilith Arujo - DC sorc tank/dps/healer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, Gryphon Heart, Grand Warlord
    Lilith Tortorici - DC templar trials healer

Notable Completions:
    vAS (72k), vMoL HM (160k), vAA HM (135k), vHRC HM, vSO HM (141k), vHoF HM (168k), vCR+3(129k), vDSA 45k, vMA 591k

Original Addons:
    Lilith's Group Manager
    Lilith's Lazy Hacks - Auto Recharge/Repair
    Bot Scanner 2000
    Lilith's Command History
    Maintained Addons:
    Kill Counter
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I'd say that instead of having a ward on the front bar you should run Velocious Curse.
    Back bar is : Elemental Blockade, Liquid Lightning, Endless Fury, Bound Aegis and Inner Light.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Drummerx04 wrote: »

Wow, 8k with max mag and spell damage? Do you use wall of elements and LL? When I put both of those on a target they pull about 9k on their own. Force pulse with light weaving brings another 8k or so, and c frag procs bring up another 2-4k depending on rng on procs and crit. Velocious Curse hits almost as hard as frags and it guaranteed to go off every 3.5 seconds.

You can put elemental drain on a target to help with magicka sustain.

And for point number 4... you know you don't need to burn all of your overload at the same time, right? I like to fight until I'm at about half magicka, then I pop overload for 6-7 shots and go back to my usual rotations. Will you sustain 35k single target dps? probably not. Will you kill pretty much everything in the game fast enough? yup.

There are sorcerers sustaining 49k DPS.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

1. Wall of Elements + LL + weaving + Valkyn Skoria is really good for dps (I personally use Lightning staff for the AoE damage)
    2. Frags is like the best sorc move, many players can fling one for 21k alone. Keeping up a good rotation will make sure frag proc is often and reliable.
    3. LL is the most efficient dps AoEDoT in game,
    4. True, Overload needs to be used during boss burning. Wasted on mobs.
    5. Meteor is advised as an ult too

Im not gonna sit here and say mSorc is the monster they were, nor will I claim any sort of superiority. However the above posts are way too slanted against mSorc.

I still solo vet dungeons on mine, it's not as dire as they would make you believe.

Frags should be hitting for around 40k.... With group buffs. Solo? 30kish.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

L2P Sorc DPS mate :wink:
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Drummerx04
    Drummerx04
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There are sorcerers sustaining 49k DPS.

I was referring to more average players in a non-raid setting with network connections and glitches where LL randomly decides it doesn't want to fire but still gives you the active effect timer... Yeah, I could drop ward and surge and ele drain from my build remorph crushing shock, run bound ageis, and squeeze another 800 magicka out of my armor and attributes and front bar meteor and run spell power pots and race change to altmer...

But again, for an average player in vet dungeons or whatever, if you can pull 20k+ then pretty much no one will ever complain at you.
    Edited by Drummerx04 on September 22, 2016 3:41PM
    PC/NA - Nightfighters, Raid Leader and Officer
    Lilith Arujo - DC sorc tank/dps/healer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, Gryphon Heart, Grand Warlord
    Lilith Tortorici - DC templar trials healer

Notable Completions:
    vAS (72k), vMoL HM (160k), vAA HM (135k), vHRC HM, vSO HM (141k), vHoF HM (168k), vCR+3(129k), vDSA 45k, vMA 591k

Original Addons:
    Lilith's Group Manager
    Lilith's Lazy Hacks - Auto Recharge/Repair
    Bot Scanner 2000
    Lilith's Command History
    Maintained Addons:
    Kill Counter
  • Foxic
    Foxic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Copying from another thread

Sorcerers are arguably the top magicka dps right now when you consider they do their Max dps from ranged.

There are two meta builds that are competing. One is 5 twice born star(or scathing), 4 infallible aether(or moondancer), 2 nerieneth(ilambris next patch), and a maelstrom staff backbar. I understand not everyone has a maelstrom staff or aether so you can replace that with willpower jewelry and nonset sharpened inferno staves.

The other is 5 twice born, 3 willpower, 3 aether with a maelstrom backbar.

I think the first build is better as next patch all of the magsorc will be running ilambris and the second setup has no room for it

Now here is some
    proof

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6AXRYsPA6Mo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c7KRsu4XwZ8

And here is a blood spawn parse where ilambris got 3.3K single target
    http://puu.sh/r0bNd/702c3367de.jpg

To the op. Magicka nb is not more dps
    Edited by Foxic on September 22, 2016 4:00PM
    Mechanically Challenged, PCNA competitive raid guild

Head of The Council of Raiders

First NA vAS Hardmode(#2 world)

World First Immortal Redeemer & Saintly Savior

All #1 Trial scores Clockwork City patch

• Foxic
    Foxic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also anyone who thinks you should overload for anything other than vma is wrong

• lrjs
    lrjs
    Soul Shriven

Sorcerers are arguably the top magicka dps right now when you consider they do their Max dps from ranged.

There are two meta builds that are competing. One is 5 twice born star(or scathing), 4 infallible aether(or moondancer), 2 nerieneth(ilambris next patch), and a maelstrom staff backbar. I understand not everyone has a maelstrom staff or aether so you can replace that with willpower jewelry and nonset sharpened inferno staves.

I think the first build is better as next patch all of the magsorc will be running ilambris and the second setup has no room for it

Now here is some
    proof

Thanks!

How do I get these sets? (I'm a 192 ch, -didn't develop the crafting line though-)

• Foxic
    Foxic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lrjs wrote: »

Now here is some
    proof

Thanks!

How do I get these sets? (I'm a 192 ch, -didn't develop the crafting line though-)

Willpower can be bought from other players and drops in imperial city vaults.

Aether drops in hel ra, sanctum ophidia, and aetherian archive.

Twice born star is a 9 trait crafted set.

Moondancer drops from maw of lorkhaj

Nerieneth drops from crypt of hearts and ilambris will drop from crypt of heart story 1

• lrjs
    lrjs
    Soul Shriven

Willpower can be bought from other players and drops in imperial city vaults.

Aether drops in hel ra, sanctum ophidia, and aetherian archive.

Twice born star is a 9 trait crafted set.

Moondancer drops from maw of lorkhaj

Nerieneth drops from crypt of hearts and ilambris will drop from crypt of heart story 1[/quote]

Thanks a lot!!!
  • AzuraKin
    AzuraKin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    41k max magicka, 3k spell power = 8k sustain, 12k burst dps with a mage sorc. there is zero way to improve this short of cheating. you can argue all you want, but end of story if you pull more than that the only answer is cheating. also 3k spell power 41k max magicka can only crit frag for 20k if all enemy resistance is removed, which means if tank isnt using right morph of taunt or even the right taunt then you have to apply that or hit less hard and even then you will run of out magicka. simple mechanics description is this, at 1500 regen casting 3 force pulse + 1 proced crystal frag will require 2 overloads to replace magicka used (44 ult) time to cast 4 skills is 4 seconds which means you are losing ultimate just to replace magicka used. this means there will be quite a bit of heavy attacking which takes 2s (1.8 with destro staff) to fully charge heavy hit (only fully charged heavy attacks will restore magicka) which means for 2s you are only doing 3kish active dps. if you are on top of this trying to keep liquid lighting up and wall of elements up you still are heavily nerfed as your rotation would have to be ll + wall of elements + 3x fp + ll + crystal frag + heavy attack repeat that will not generate 12k dps let alone 35k.
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Also anyone who thinks you should overload for anything other than vma is wrong

Overload is pretty fun to use in PvP for trolling though :lol: Other than that, I completely agree with what you say!
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    41k max magicka, 3k spell power = 8k sustain, 12k burst dps with a mage sorc. there is zero way to improve this short of cheating. you can argue all you want, but end of story if you pull more than that the only answer is cheating. also 3k spell power 41k max magicka can only crit frag for 20k if all enemy resistance is removed, which means if tank isnt using right morph of taunt or even the right taunt then you have to apply that or hit less hard and even then you will run of out magicka. simple mechanics description is this, at 1500 regen casting 3 force pulse + 1 proced crystal frag will require 2 overloads to replace magicka used (44 ult) time to cast 4 skills is 4 seconds which means you are losing ultimate just to replace magicka used. this means there will be quite a bit of heavy attacking which takes 2s (1.8 with destro staff) to fully charge heavy hit (only fully charged heavy attacks will restore magicka) which means for 2s you are only doing 3kish active dps. if you are on top of this trying to keep liquid lighting up and wall of elements up you still are heavily nerfed as your rotation would have to be ll + wall of elements + 3x fp + ll + crystal frag + heavy attack repeat that will not generate 12k dps let alone 35k.

I can't cheat, I'm on xbox and I can pull over 30k self buffs only... And that's not even impressive. My Frags crit for 28k-42k depending on buffs I have (Warhorns, Alkosh, Twilight Remedy, Combat Prayer, Spell Power Cure, etc.). I've had Overloads go as high as 51k and thats not very impressive either. A magicka sorc is one of the hardest specs to get high DPS with.

The actual rotation should look like this: Liquid Lightning - Light Attack - Elemental Blockade - Bar Swap - Light Attack - Velocious Curse - Light Attack - Force Pulse weaving with Frags (whenever they proc) and refreshing Curse. Rinse and Repeat. Cast Shooting Star as soon as its up.

The reason why you say that 8k sustained DPS is the maximum a sorcerer can reach is because you're not aware of proper rotations for a sorc. There not a single class that can do good DPS without a perfect rotation. Rotation is everything. More so than stats.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I suggest you take a look at YoloWizard's guide to Sorcerer DPS on TamrielFoundry. He explains everything in his non-overload Sorcerer build there.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Foxic
    Foxic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suggest you take a look at YoloWizard's guide to Sorcerer DPS on TamrielFoundry. He explains everything in his non-overload Sorcerer build there.

Im convinced at this point that this is a troll post

• Aeaeren
    Aeaeren
    ✭✭✭

I did 20K Blood Spawn and I messed it up, screwed up my rotation by trying to add things, hard casting Crystal Fragments etc. Pretty much if it could go wrong I did it and this was without using an ultimate period. Wrong gear so I don't how you come up with this 12k nonsense!
  • AzuraKin
    AzuraKin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

let me guess to you a troll is someone who uses concrete math and disagrees with you on a point?. point is only way to pull more then 12k dps would be to cheat. only way to hit even close to 20k dps would require you 1. have no resistance on target 2. proc frags every time cast force pulse 3. never swap weapons (weapon swapping costs you dps) 4. never use a heavy attack or equilibrium (costs you dps) 5. kill everything withing 12s and you will pull 18k dps. if all those conditions apply assuming 100 points into elemental expert and rest of points into elfbane plus run shadow stone not thief and still have at least 50% crit. this is hard proof. wanna convince me of otherwise, show me the math behind your build. show me where i am wrong. stating i am wrong doesnt make me wrong. it merely means you dont agree but you have no actual factual proof that i am wrong. see the thing is most people who try to pen and paper builds do so with the mistake of missing a key component. i can pen and paper prove any build by simply knowing 1. base damage of skill fully buffed, damage multiplier of critical strikes, percentage chance to crit, penetration caster has vs resist opponent has. sustainability cand be found by 1. knowing max resource / (cost of skill -{ regen /2}) + wp enchant regen divided by proc chance cool down time + cp sourced regen divided by proc cool down time.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're freakin off dude

Have you not seen...

Oh
    5 threads about dps mSorc?

NoS has builds, thelon has builds, fear turbo got builds, yolo got builds, all that blow 8 to 12k dps outta da water
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You are either trolling, or in no position to be giving out opinions you claim to be facts.
  • Foxic
    Foxic
    ✭✭✭✭✭

let me guess to you a troll is someone who uses concrete math and disagrees with you on a point?. point is only way to pull more then 12k dps would be to cheat. only way to hit even close to 20k dps would require you 1. have no resistance on target 2. proc frags every time cast force pulse 3. never swap weapons (weapon swapping costs you dps) 4. never use a heavy attack or equilibrium (costs you dps) 5. kill everything withing 12s and you will pull 18k dps. if all those conditions apply assuming 100 points into elemental expert and rest of points into elfbane plus run shadow stone not thief and still have at least 50% crit. this is hard proof. wanna convince me of otherwise, show me the math behind your build. show me where i am wrong. stating i am wrong doesnt make me wrong. it merely means you dont agree but you have no actual factual proof that i am wrong. see the thing is most people who try to pen and paper builds do so with the mistake of missing a key component. i can pen and paper prove any build by simply knowing 1. base damage of skill fully buffed, damage multiplier of critical strikes, percentage chance to crit, penetration caster has vs resist opponent has. sustainability cand be found by 1. knowing max resource / (cost of skill -{ regen /2}) + wp enchant regen divided by proc chance cool down time + cp sourced regen divided by proc cool down time.