The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Looking for an addon developer to assist me with a modification to the ZoS Active Effects panel

ArtOfShred
ArtOfShred
✭✭✭
Hey there, I'm not sure how much power we have to modify the base UI elements from ZoS, what I'd like to do create a system that would effectively only allow Whitelisted abilities to display in the Active Effects section of the Character Screen.

The intention of this change is to whitelist only long duration buffs like AvA Buffs, Food, Mundus, etc. This goes along with a project I've been undertaking to normalize buff display located here:
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/3349883/#Comment_3349883

The idea is to create a clean and concise display for Buff and Debuff application. Currently there are a few problems with buff/debuff display in the Active Effects window:
* Many abilities have do not have an icon associated with their application. Instead this little generic blue skull thing appears instead. ability_mage_065.png
* Many abilities do not have an aura that displays at all, despite applying some kind of effect that can be purged or removed by the player. Example of this would be the root ability called Rockjaw that wolves use.
* Several abilities have pointless aura application, some of the most common are the NPC caster "autoattack" type abilites, that display an aura in the Active Effects window based of their travel time to the player. This information is completely useless, as the only effect applied by these attacks is instant damage.
* Note that many of these issues aren't really going to be a huge problem for people not using a mod that displays buffs or debuffs, as in most cases players won't be tabbing into their Character Screen to see a 4 second debuff on them while they are in combat, however there are several mob abilities, etc that have far longer durations that appear. To me, these effects damage immersion and feel unpolished or incomplete.

LUI gives me the power to overwrite icons (and once I finish, names of buffs as well). However, if I say, change the footman style NPC ability Throw Dagger to display this rather appropriate icon (considering its animation): ability_dualwield_deadlycloak.png - the icon will display on my LUI buffs, but if I open my character screen to look at my active effects I'll still see the current generic bleed and root icon. This creates an inconsistency.

So ideally, I'd like to have the Active Effects screen only show a list of effects I manually process through, longterm buffs, and important passives that the player should be aware of when on their character screen, while rooting out useless information like "Hey you're in your character screen and there's a 3 sec snare on you because you *really* needed to know that.* Additionally it allows independence from Zenimax as far as what I can do with Buff/Debuff display. Though I will mention, as a part of this project I'm working on, I am processing a list of issues and inconsistencies with various abilities, buffs, debuffs etc to present to the ZoS development team if they feel its something worth their time.

Unfortunately this is far beyond my minor data entry and manipulation skills with LUA coding, and I require the assistance of another developer to help with this particular undertaking. If there are addon developers out there with some free time interested in helping, please post here or message me. If it comes down to it, I would be willing to commission you for your time to do this.
  • Ayantir
    Ayantir
    ✭✭✭✭
    You should post on http://www.esoui.com ; audiance is way bigger.

If you only want to modify the stats panel, you should unregister events & handler of STATS table and add your own
    Look at line 539 of ingame\stats\keyboard\zo_stats_keyboard.lua then play.

After If you want to polish zos bugs by your code, you should prehook GetUnitBuffInfo, it's a way cleaner.
    Edited by Ayantir on September 13, 2016 6:21AM
    Obsessive Compulsive Elder Scrolls addons Coder
    A Few millions downloads of ESO addons now.
    Master crafter on my main char since release. All tradeskills, recipes \o/, researchs (since long), 35 styles known
    My little french Guild: Cercle de l'Eveil
  • ArtOfShred
    ArtOfShred
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Ayantir, I'll check in over at ESOUI!