The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Tamriel Provinces IRL

Dark_Claw
Dark_Claw
✭✭✭
So I've recently been thinking about which real life countries the various ESO provinces are based upon, as they are all clearly influenced by real life environments and cultures. So far I've decided upon these:

Black Marsh
Mexico
cloud-forest-panama-1.jpg
I went with Mexico because I think the vast cloud forests that cover central America greatly resemble the swamps of Black Marsh. Plus Mexico was home to the Aztecs; an ancient culture that the Argonians are clearly based upon (just look at the architecture for example).

Cyrodiil
England
pic1.jpg
This is a photo of the Lake District in Cumbria, and it was actually a personal visit to this place that made me think of its semblance to the Imperial province with its rolling hills and blankets of woodland, dotted here and there with quaint villages.

Elsweyr
India
Thar_desert_Rajasthan_India.jpg
I personally think that Elsweyr has some serious Indian vibes. The fact that it has a mixture of both desert and jungle, the latter of which being the hunting grounds of tigers and other big cats, makes this seem quite likely.

Hammerfell
Egypt
sahara-desert-hoggar-mountains-algeria-view-from-assekrem-pass.jpg
Okay so when I say Egypt I really mean the Sahara Desert in general, though I went with Egypt because both the desert and the ancient ruins in that country are particularly Hammerfell-esque. The above image was actually taken somewhere in Algeria, but I couldn't help but post it due to its resemblance to Craglorn.

High Rock
France
french-alps-small1.jpg
I think it's safe to say that High Rock is clearly based off France, seeing as how the native Bretons were actual people who lived in that country. Plus I couldn't help but notice that the subregion of Gavaudon in Stormhaven sounds eerily similar to that of Gevaudan; a region in France that was once terrorized by a creature many people considered to be a werewolf. And what is there an infestation of in nearby Glenumbra? Exactly.

Morrowind
Indonesia
gunung-bromo.jpg
I think the above image speaks for itself.

Skyrim
Norway. Obviously.
magnificent-northern-lights-1400.jpg?width=640
Yeah, I don't think I need to go into detail on this one either. There's a reason why Skyrim is often referred to as "Norway Simulator".

Summerset Isles
Thailand
maxresdefault.jpg
Okay, so this one was a little difficult. First and foremost I thought it should be somewhere tropical, and since the design of the Altmer has an obvious Far East influence I moved my search to Asia and eventually settled on Thailand when I saw the coastlines.

Valenwood
Brazil
rio-hondo-3.jpg
Admittedly the first location I thought of when it came to Valenwood was Australia, due to its massive creepy-crawlies. However, I think Brazil is a better fit due to the Bosmer resembling the Indigenous tribes of South America more so than aborigines and the fact that Brazil, much like Valenwood, has a big portion of its landmass comprised solely of jungle.

So those are my choices for real life Elder Scrolls locations. I'd love to hear everyone else's opinions though.
Edited by Dark_Claw on September 10, 2016 7:47PM
  • Wow
    Wow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsewyr is not India, but Indonesia.

Click the spoiler for more info
    Rawlkha of course, Khajiits are my favourite race

elderscrollsonline_999734.jpg
    Khajiit_Architecture_Concept_Art.png

Are their architecture inspired by the traditional indonesian houses? To be more specific, Torajan Tribe?

minangkabau-traditional-house-central-sumatra-indonesia_original.jpg
    Toraja_house.jpg

look at this tongkonan house it looks like one of those Khajit's
    .eJwVxEsOgyAQANC7cABgho-MS629BwGCJirGoaumd2_7Fu8tXvcuRrH2fvGoVN44tTtL7u2OtcjaWt1LvDaWqR0q9h7TepSzswKy5JxHJK9Rw4BBIThrNID1gfxAxmu1mICT-W3I_p9mXp7TgxbOCVAHp0FeZxWfL_YJKHk.Pk0Ekl23KkGYNOs6vXwdtKeF3pw.png

Some says India, but in India you wont see such architecture. They are heavily inspired by Torajan Tribe in Indonesia.

if you come to Sulawesi Island, you can see real life Khajiit village in their full glory ;) Even the /dancekhajiit emotes (male version) looks similar to their dance. I don't know what the dance was called, couldn't find the video of it.

pQOxSEf.jpg

Here is the interior of the Tongkonan house
    AA1wE32.png

Their temples/shrines, looks like one of those "Candi" called structure in Indonesia. If you ever visit Bali you'll see them.
    Even more spoiler
    wip20111.jpg

iyWxDpw.png

The interior of a Candi
    zE6ASG0.png
    Edited by Wow on September 10, 2016 7:11PM
    I'm a Godot Engine and GameMaker enthusiast from the most populated island on earth, Java, Indonesia. Coffee is my staple fuel, and durian is my favourite fruit. I'm currently building a Godot Community site.
  • Dark_Claw
    Dark_Claw
    ✭✭✭
    I see what you mean. However, whilst the buildings do indeed greatly resemble Indonesian architecture, I still believe that the landscape and environment of Elsweyr is more similar to that of India.
    Edited by Dark_Claw on September 10, 2016 6:43PM
  • Wow
    Wow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dark_Claw wrote: »
    I see what you mean. However, whilst the buildings do indeed greatly resemble Indonesian architecture, I still believe that the landscape and environment of Elsweyr is more similar to that of India.

If you think Indonesia is all about thick forest then you certainly haven't visited here. ;) You should come here, you will see Elsewyr-like vast landscapes that could make your jaw dropping
    Elsweyr
    India
    Thar_desert_Rajasthan_India.jpg
    I personally think that Elsweyr has some serious Indian vibes. The fact that it has a mixture of both desert and jungle, the latter of which being the hunting grounds of tigers and other big cats, makes this seem quite likely.
    We also have those in Yogyakarta
    228222_gumuk-pasir-parangtritis_663_382.jpg

Some women in Minangkabau are selected to be the High Mother who hold the key to their clan lives. And the selected women started their training and all about the customs and manners since they're blooming young girls.

In Minangkabau folklore named Tambo Minangkabau, Bundo Kanduang is a title of honour for a woman chosen by her people or her clan. Also has a meaning as the True Mother. Her beauty is represented with a term of Nymph or Moth (beautiful insect with decorative and gorgeous wings, well, some of Minangkabau people think that Moth is calmer than butterfly instead :D), in Minangkabau we call it Limpapeh. Her presence also a blessing of her land, and she is as precious as jewellery. And she was chosen to be the key holder to the clans property and wealth. (credits to assattari)
    limpapeh_nagari_sambilan_by_assattari-d7badul.jpg

The building beside her (it's called Rumah Gadang), I think you can find building very-very similar to it right in Kneharti's Roost
    Edited by Wow on September 10, 2016 8:29PM
    I'm a Godot Engine and GameMaker enthusiast from the most populated island on earth, Java, Indonesia. Coffee is my staple fuel, and durian is my favourite fruit. I'm currently building a Godot Community site.
  • Dark_Claw
    Dark_Claw
    ✭✭✭
    I can confirm that I have never visited Indonesia. However, I would argue that the Khajiit are based off the Romani people; an ethnic group that originated from India. They were also predominantly nomads and gypsies, much like the Khajiit. And as for the Indonesian countryside resembling Elsweyr, I challenge you to find me an example of a vast Indonesian desert, 'cause all I could find were recipes for kolak.
    Edited by Dark_Claw on September 10, 2016 8:13PM
  • Wow
    Wow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Indonesian desert, 'cause all I could find were recipes for kolak.
    Parangtritis, Central Java.
    http://media.viva.co.id/thumbs2/2013/11/04/228222_gumuk-pasir-parangtritis_663_382.jpg
    http://cdn.metrotvnews.com/bank_images/actual/133483.jpg
    http://hardivizon.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/gumuk-pasir-02.jpg

In Indonesia, we would have found Sahara desert like in Africa. This is the natural phenomenon is occurring in Indonesia. Interestingly, this desert is formed in tropical areas with high rainfall. Of some existing data, desert in Indonesia is claimed as the only desert in Southeast Asia.

Parangtritis sand dunes, or “Gumuk Pasir Parangtritis” according to local tongue, were formed in thousand years of natural process. Some experts said that the sands were actually volcanic materials erupted by Mt.Merapi which flowed along the stream of Opak and Progo rivers to their estuaries in the south sea. The materials then been brought to the shore by strong waves, and after dried by the sun, the smooth and light sands blew by strong wind came from the ocean. Since Parangtritis beach was bordered by limestone hills, the sands could not pass the hills and fell before them, made a desert like area on an open part of the land between the hills and the beach. The wind that blew continuously in the area from various directions in a certain times made the sands became sand dunes with various unique forms.

http://triptojogjakarta.com/news/read/39/Shades-of-the-Sahara-Desert-in-Yogyakarta.html

Kolak? lol. If you are looking for Skooma, there's no Skooma equivalent here, the closest one probably Tuak/Tuwak/Toak (varies depends on dialect) a drinks produced from Nira. Nira is some sort of sugar. Though it's not as extreme as Skooma, It can make you feel euphoric / high, and addictive.
    Edited by Wow on September 10, 2016 8:26PM
  • Dark_Claw
    Dark_Claw
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not entirely certain whether a large beach would count as a desert. Just because it looks and feels like a desert doesn't make it a desert. This is the Thar desert:
    thar-desert-3.jpg

And some more of India's wilderness.
    India_grassland_habitat_KalyanVarma_D123534.jpg
    9981-jungle-white-tiger.jpg
    Edited by Dark_Claw on September 10, 2016 8:55PM
  • Wow
    Wow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) For starters, the Khajiit are not descended from desert tribes. There are deserts in the north, yes, but there are also jungles.

2) Not all Khajiit are nomadic. In fact, the lore states that there are (or rather were) hundreds of cities in Elsweyr. That rather flies in the face of a nomadic lifestyle. Calling the Khajiit nomadic is like calling the Chinese nomadic because they like to travel and can be found living in other countries aside from China.

Those are southern most part then yes it's a beach, you walk to the north, you will see sand dunes with no water in sight, Parangkusumo Sand Dunes. During the day the heat in this place is very hot but if the air in the evening would turn out to be very cool. Locals did not differentiate these 2 places so they usually call them as Parangtritis.
    http://gambarfoto.co/pemandangan-alam-indonesia.html

3) Khajiit have a rather clear Southeast Asian architectural style. You will not find such architecture in India.
    rumah-gadang-view-38050281.jpg
    rumah_gadang_by_adhityano-d3fb6yr.jpg
    Toraya01.jpg

And you also asking for a cat heh. There's also big cat in Sumatra Island, Panthera tigris sumatrae (or just simply called Sumatran Tiger), but sadly they are critically endangered now :'(
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3566/3684745707_1d377b8d2f_b.jpg

Also white tiger does not exclusive to India, they can also be found in South Malaya, China, Indonesia, Nepal, Bhutan and Bangladesh, as well as in various parts of India.
    Edited by Wow on September 10, 2016 9:21PM
  • Sentinel
    Sentinel
    ✭✭✭✭
    A lot of places have multiple influences honestly.

Some influences are purely architectural, others purely cultural, but oftentimes many of the peoples and places of Tamriel find a nice mixture of cultures to base themselves off of.

High Rock, for example, resembles France, but also has large influences from Britain and Germany (and perhaps more states) in certain regions.

Cyrodiil has mixtures of architecture ranging from Greek and Roman to British.

It is likely that the architecture and environment have their own influences of which culture and customs have others.

Consider Bangkorai, a region of High Rock
    050905-nature-landscapes-rocks-spain-torcal-natural-park-spain.jpg
    (just browsed the web, Spain does resemble parts of the zone)
    Edited by Sentinel on September 10, 2016 9:23PM
  • magnusthorek
    magnusthorek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just because we have the second largest forest in the world doesn't mean the whole country is a jungle like 90% of Valenwood is
    I am the very model of a scientist Salarian, I've studied species Turian, Asari, and Batarian.
    I'm quite good at genetics (as a subset of biology) because I am an expert (which I know is a tautology).
    My xenoscience studies range from urban to agrarian, I am the very model of a Scientist Salarian.
  • Dark_Claw
    Dark_Claw
    ✭✭✭
    1. I don't know what your point is. The name Khajiit literally translates to "desert walker", so it's obvious that the desert has a large influence on their culture, whether they originated there or not.

2. I have never heard of the "Chinese nomad" stereotype. Anyway, that's like saying that the Romani people weren't traditionally nomadic because they originated from a country that also had many cities. It was something most of them did, enough for it to become a defining part of their culture.

Still doesn't make it a desert.

3. I never said it didn't. Khajiit architecture is clearly based off Indonesian buildings, but that doesn't mean that everything else about Elsweyr is therefore influenced by Indonesia as well. For example, the Nords are obviously based off Scandanavians but certain aspects of their culture are also Celtic.

And in the last pic I was giving an example of an Indian jungle. The fact that a white tiger was included was just a bonus.
    Edited by Dark_Claw on September 10, 2016 9:50PM
  • BenLocoDete
    BenLocoDete
    ✭✭✭
    What great example of a beautiful multicultural thread. I feel that the references belong to pretty much every place in the world with a mix of either the environment or its inhabitants, i.e. while I feel the Black Marsh would fit best some Brazilian environments and Australia the Valenwood province, the bosmeri have both asian and south americans indigenous tribes traits found in their body marks, bow and arrow expertise and their connection with the nature(while lances fit better when yielded by argonians).

As found in other articles, while nords are clearly inspired in the scandinavian cultures, they tend their dead much like the egyptians did. Even their tombs murals resemble the ones found in Egypt.

Again the elves have eyes similar to asians, but Khajiiti architecture is much more close to the ones found in the Indo-part of the Asia.

I remember some articles mentioning that the original lore authors choose french to name the Tsaesci individuals.

It is a big mix of multiple references.
    [slit]Throat[/slit]
  • Dark_Claw
    Dark_Claw
    ✭✭✭
    Just because we have the second largest forest in the world doesn't mean the whole country is a jungle like 90% of Valenwood is
    At what point did I claim that the whole country is a jungle? The Amazon rainforest makes up a lot of Brazil as do the jungles of Valenwood, and I also mentioned the similarity between the Bosmer and the South American tribes.
    Edited by Dark_Claw on September 10, 2016 10:01PM
  • magnusthorek
    magnusthorek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't say you said, don't feel offended about it. Sometimes I like to see this s*it country mentioned in games or movies. I'm just throwing some facts around.

Like... the Amazon Forest covers a big part of the country. 42%! It's a lot! But much less than Valenwood, I believe, that might be like 80% of the region.

What's not jungle in Valenwood makes small settlements (not really cities, saved the more importants like Elden Root, Arenthia, Marbruk...). Here we have the 7th biggest city on Earth, with more than 12 million people (an old census).

With "tribes" I guess you meant indigenous population. Well... From more of 204 millions of habitants, "only" ~897 thousand are indigenous.

Fine, they do look like some Bosmers, but they're very cultural and ethnically distinct.
    Edited by magnusthorek on September 10, 2016 11:23PM
    I am the very model of a scientist Salarian, I've studied species Turian, Asari, and Batarian.
    I'm quite good at genetics (as a subset of biology) because I am an expert (which I know is a tautology).
    My xenoscience studies range from urban to agrarian, I am the very model of a Scientist Salarian.
  • Dark_Claw
    Dark_Claw
    ✭✭✭
    My apologies. I never intended to come across as insulting, I was only making an observation.
  • magnusthorek
    magnusthorek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    None taken :)

Like I said, sometimes it'a good to be remembered by something nice, other than the cr*p we often see on news or Internet. :(
  • magnusthorek
    magnusthorek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sentinel wrote: »
    Consider Bangkorai, a region of High Rock
    050905-nature-landscapes-rocks-spain-torcal-natural-park-spain.jpg
    Oh my... This park is so much like Bangkorai :open_mouth:

Especially to the southeast, where M'aiq likes to hide.
    Edited by magnusthorek on September 10, 2016 11:38PM
  • Sentinel
    Sentinel
    ✭✭✭✭
    This area from Greece resembles the Gold Coast of Cyrodiil:
    poros-greece-2.jpg
  • Wow
    Wow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still dont understand why they pick Kenya as Elsewyr equal IRL, :/
  • runagate
    runagate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Wow wrote: »
    Elsewyr is not India, but Indonesia.

Click the spoiler for more info
    Rawlkha of course, Khajiits are my favourite race

elderscrollsonline_999734.jpg
    Khajiit_Architecture_Concept_Art.png

Are their architecture inspired by the traditional indonesian houses? To be more specific, Torajan Tribe?

minangkabau-traditional-house-central-sumatra-indonesia_original.jpg
    Toraja_house.jpg

look at this tongkonan house it looks like one of those Khajit's
    .eJwVxEsOgyAQANC7cABgho-MS629BwGCJirGoaumd2_7Fu8tXvcuRrH2fvGoVN44tTtL7u2OtcjaWt1LvDaWqR0q9h7TepSzswKy5JxHJK9Rw4BBIThrNID1gfxAxmu1mICT-W3I_p9mXp7TgxbOCVAHp0FeZxWfL_YJKHk.Pk0Ekl23KkGYNOs6vXwdtKeF3pw.png

Some says India, but in India you wont see such architecture. They are heavily inspired by Torajan Tribe in Indonesia.

if you come to Sulawesi Island, you can see real life Khajiit village in their full glory ;) Even the /dancekhajiit emotes (male version) looks similar to their dance. I don't know what the dance was called, couldn't find the video of it.

pQOxSEf.jpg

Here is the interior of the Tongkonan house
    AA1wE32.png

Their temples/shrines, looks like one of those "Candi" called structure in Indonesia. If you ever visit Bali you'll see them.
    Even more spoiler
    wip20111.jpg

iyWxDpw.png

The interior of a Candi
    zE6ASG0.png

It freaks me out that you know that. I've spent an improbable amount of time staring at those houses over the years. I watched a video about genetic studies of migration patterns compared to these cultures, and how the older populations are still matrilinear, just last night.
  • Dark_Claw
    Dark_Claw
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, it doesn't make any sense. Whatever country Elsweyr is based upon, I think we can both agree that it certainly isn't Kenya.

• ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geopolitical borders are not unique to specific biomes. Take the united states as an example, off the top of my head i know the u.s. has at least five different climates in its borders. My own state of Washington itself has two climates, dense wet forests of evergreens in the west, and expansive flat dry plains in the east, seperated by the cascade mountains. Just Washington state alone could be compared with parts of Cyrodiil and Elsweyr.

But dont get me wrong, im enjoying this topic.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    Geopolitical borders are not unique to specific biomes. Take the united states as an example, off the top of my head i know the u.s. has at least five different climates in its borders. My own state of Washington itself has two climates, dense wet forests of evergreens in the west, and expansive flat dry plains in the east, seperated by the cascade mountains. Just Washington state alone could be compared with parts of Cyrodiil and Elsweyr.

But dont get me wrong, im enjoying this topic.

Arizona has some beatidul forests in the north,dunes to the south, and of course the grand canyon.
    Hell even south idaho is dramatically different than the north.
  • Elloa
    Elloa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah, it doesn't make any sense. Whatever country Elsweyr is based upon, I think we can both agree that it certainly isn't Kenya.

And Skyrim is NOT the Swiss Alp either. But whatever...they have choosen those destination, probably because of convenience in organisation. Maybe a Norway cruise was not fitting. Maybe an Indonesian trip was too complicated to organise.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They probably picked Kenya because you're much more likely to see a variety of big cats there than in Indonesia.

I suspect places their partner company normally runs trips was also a factor, they're not going to create a whole new package deal just to suit this one contest.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Wow
    Wow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @runagate Had a friend back then from that Island and she informed me all these stuffs in detail. :*

I agree :p
  • Wow
    Wow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Temple in Rawlkha
    ON-place-Rawl%27kha_Temple.jpg

Temple in Indonesia
    Indonesia_Temples_Prambanan.jpg

<3 Can't wait for the new Xpac
  • Wow
    Wow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Elseweyr artworks looks so familiar! <3
    unknown.png

That definitely looks like "Rumah Gadang", house of Minangkabau people
    rumah-adat-di-indonesia-sumatera-barat.png

• ArenGesus
    ArenGesus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You forgot about coldharbour. It reminds me a lot of Newark.
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ArenGesus wrote: »
    You forgot about coldharbour. It reminds me a lot of Newark.

Hold on, now, that's not fair.

To Coldharbour.
    Taking stealth away from the Bosmer is like taking magic away from the Altmer, making Nords allergic to mead, or making Orcs pretty.
  • siddique
    siddique
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Elsweyr is based on North and West Africa and Yemen, not India.
    "Knee-jerk reactionist."
    Lost Depths, 2015-2022.