Maintenance for the week of May 27:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 27

Zenimax, Poor RNG

ZombieZig
ZombieZig
✭✭✭
Dear Zenimax,

I've casually participated in Molag kills since IC's release. Always wanting the skin, over the course of this event i spent a whopping 16 hrs a day on true Flame as my Nightblade and Templar. During this time i have killed Molag Bal many many times~ 300+. I've had to organize my personal matters to attend this grind, I have had to create and lead numerous groups. I've fought countless enemies. High stress, headaches, sore wrists...

Nothing. Its now 2 am on a work weekday and i have to call it quits. I am so disappointed in who? Me? Bloody hell i did everything i could and more. You Zenimax on the other hand need to figure this out. Its simply NOT fair. I have received 30 something scamps and not once the skin. I've seen people get it on their first try. I've seen people get it in 10-20 kills. Great, glad for them. Your system fails and now Im sore and broken and JOYLESS. Do you not understand the results of your RNG looting system? Have i mentioned 300+ kills? It could be very well 500 i stopped counting bc i heard you get the skin when you loose all will and hope to live.

*This is for a Zenimax response. Others, Im glad you have your skin. Dont troll me.

**Id like to focus on a possible RNG algorithm issues. Scamp rare reward is to be equal of the Soul Shriven skin. Yet we all received repeat rewards that are scamps. Personally: 28 scamps to date for one accounts adventure seams to be TOO HIGH!

*** Oddly enough many members from our group got the Soul-Shriven Skin all at once. I now have my skin, exhausted but happy. Ty DC for all your fantastic help on TF. I could not have done it with out you. We did however still get additional scamps. Id really look into THAT. Doesn't seem correct and may validate a change.
Edited by ZombieZig on September 8, 2016 8:07PM
  • Palidon
    Palidon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZombieZig wrote: »
    Dear Zenimax,

I've casually participated in Molag kills since IC's release. Always wanting the skin, over the course of this event i spent a whopping 16 hrs a day on true Flame as my Nightblade and Templar. During this time i have killed Molag Bal many many times~ 300+. I've had to organize my personal matters to attend this grind, I have had to create and lead numerous groups. I've fought countless enemies. High stress, headaches, sore wrists...

Nothing. Its now 2 am on a work weekday and i have to call it quits. I am so disappointed in who? Me? Bloody hell i did everything i could and more. You Zenimax on the other hand need to figure this out. Its simply NOT fair. I have received 30 something scamps and not once the skin. I've seen people get it on their first try. I've seen people get it in 10-20 kills. Great, glad for them. Your system fails and now Im sore and broken and JOYLESS. Do you not understand the results of your RNG looting system? Have i mentioned 300+ kills? It could be very well 500 i stopped counting bc i heard you get the skin when you loose all will and hope to live.

***This is for a Zenimax response. Others, Im glad you have your skin. Dont troll me.

Don't feel bad you are not the only one who did Molag um-teen times and never got the skin. This game is all about Rinse and Repeat and at some point it just gets old.

Options
  • ZombieZig
    ZombieZig
    ✭✭✭
    Palidon wrote: »
    Dear Zenimax,

***This is for a Zenimax response. Others, Im glad you have your skin. Dont troll me.

Don't feel bad you are not the only one who did Molag um-teen times and never got the skin. This game is all about Rinse and Repeat and at some point it just gets old.

Thats kind of my point to Zenimax aswell~ To have this content be so repetitive, stressful and additionally be unrewarding is unwise. Who wants to set themselves up like this? How am I supposed to believe in investing further time into this title? I've already beaten the DLC and covered all PvP content.
    Options
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I guess you need to decide if you want to play MMOs or single player RPG games. Items that a company do not want everyone having are going to be rare and harder to find.

At least you have the time to try to get it. I don't even have the opportunity right now.
    Options
  • DRXHarbinger
    DRXHarbinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dear Zenimax,

Thats kind of my point to Zenimax aswell~ To have this content be so repetitive, stressful and additionally be unrewarding is unwise. Who wants to set themselves up like this? How am I supposed to believe in investing further time into this title? I've already beaten the DLC and covered all PvP content.

That sucks dude. Feel bad for you. I spent 6hrs solid rinsing and repeating. Dodging bomblades etc. But damn that'd bad. Even in vma you get some useful loot at times.
    PC Master Race

1001CP
    8 Flawless Toons, all Classes.
    Master Angler
    Dro-M'artha Destroyer (at last)
    Tamriel Hero
    Grand Overlord
    Every Skyshard
    Down With BOP!
    Options
  • ZombieZig
    ZombieZig
    ✭✭✭
    Dear Zenimax,

That sucks dude. Feel bad for you. I spent 6hrs solid rinsing and repeating. Dodging bomblades etc. But damn that'd bad. Even in vma you get some useful loot at times.

Im not sure if Zenimax has it even working properly. The RNG delivered me a total of 28 scamps so far. In addition to wondering why i get a repeat collectible, i wonder if this shines into a problem with Molags RNG algorithm. I understand doubling a extremely low drop rate is still extremely low. But i understand its supposed to be as rare as the Scamp pet. If thats the case, then again it points to RNG issues.
    Options
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've been fighting alongside @ZombieZig, and I've probably done Molag Bal 100+ times. Not nearly as much as him. I've gotten the Scamp at least 10 times, no skin. It's probably been 16+ hours total now, and that's 16+ stressful hours as I have to constantly keep dodging PVPers and people trying to kill us.

No skin.

Some guildmates have joined, got the skin on the second go... another on the 10th go. In fact, one of my guildmates got the skin TWICE last night.

Yet I'm up to well over 100+ times now, no skin. I keep doing it. I don't know what they doubled the skin's drop rate to but it's not nearly enough. I mean, this is to the point that when the event is over I can't imagine anyone EVER getting the skin with the drop rate halved from what it is now. Bad RNG is one thing, but 100+ Molag kills and nothing? I've made (and lost) stupid amounts of Tel Var during this event... but I don't want the Tel Var. Just the skin.

It feels like some people have really high RNG and others have really, REALLY low RNG. The skin drop's rate feels like a punishment.
    Edited by Preyfar on September 8, 2016 2:31PM
    Options
  • DRXHarbinger
    DRXHarbinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dear Zenimax,

Im not sure if Zenimax has it even working properly. The RNG delivered me a total of 28 scamps so far. In addition to wondering why i get a repeat collectible, i wonder if this shines into a problem with Molags RNG algorithm. I understand doubling a extremely low drop rate is still extremely low. But i understand its supposed to be as rare as the Scamp pet. If thats the case, then again it points to RNG issues.

I think rng is assigned on creation of toon. Call me paranoid but my day 1 sorc has never looted the everfrost, my templar has gotten it over 10 times. My Sorc farmed hard for it. My stamblade only ever gets magika weapons from vma and my Sorc only gets 2h mêlée.

My Sorc gets 3 dwemer trophies from a darkshade run everytime. My templar never.

My templar gets infallible jewelery everytime and nothing else. NB both of them and sorc get nothing bar Yokeda from every trial boss.

My DK gets a fair mix.

Despite the hundreds and hundreds of runs that's over done on ICP none of them have ever gotten scathing mage sash. I only have a prosperous that was traded to me, the same guy got one everytime we ran it that day.

Call me paranoid but some items will never appear on certain toons.

My Sorc also never got anything from molag Bal in 4hrs. Changed to templar and 2hrs later got both. Got loot an equal amount of times.

Again possibly paranoid.

PC Master Race

1001CP
    8 Flawless Toons, all Classes.
    Master Angler
    Dro-M'artha Destroyer (at last)
    Tamriel Hero
    Grand Overlord
    Every Skyshard
    Down With BOP!
    Options
  • drakhan2002_ESO
    drakhan2002_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you all feel entitled to getting "x" item after so many tries? I know I would. After reading the first few posts of those who have done this event multiple times and not getting anything...I never even stepped foot into the event at all. I figured my RNG would no better than the examples you've posted. I am now happy I did not.

I sure hope ZOS figures out a way to put a "cap" on some of these item tries. Like if you do it over an over, you get a slightly better, incremental chance to receive the item. Let's say they have a base number of getting an item. For ease of example, READ...EXAMPLE... let's say it is 50% chance to get an item. Over time, each time you run and don't get the item, you are granted a "base + 1% = new "base"" chance to get an item. Hence, by the time you've done the event 50 times, you will get the item, guaranteed. That way, the grind is still there, but at least you can rest assured that eventually you'll get the item.

Just a thought...
    Options
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think rng is assigned on creation of toon. Call me paranoid but my day 1 sorc has never looted the everfrost, my templar has gotten it over 10 times. My Sorc farmed hard for it. My stamblade only ever gets magika weapons from vma and my Sorc only gets 2h mêlée.

Again possibly paranoid.
    This is the problem of an RNG. You never quite know whether you're experiencing a run of good luck... or bad luck. Are the numbers really just not in your favor or are you the Chosen One who receives everything?

I had this problem going for Master Angler. I've spent 4+ hours fishing in an area and not a single green or blue fish. Not one. NOT ONE. Give up, log in, get both from the first fishing hole I find. Am I dealing with broken RNG or just exceedingly bad luck? It's impossible to tell without being able to know the mechanics behind the scenes.
    Options
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Do you all feel entitled to getting "x" item after so many tries? I know I would. After reading the first few posts of those who have done this event multiple times and not getting anything...I never even stepped foot into the event at all. I figured my RNG would no better than the examples you've posted. I am now happy I did not.
    I wouldn't say I feel entitled to get one. I just want to know that I have a fair chance. And getting nothing after endless tries is stupidly demoralizing. Is the RNG working? Are some people cursed with bad RNG? Is the drop rate just stupidly low even when doubled?

I don't mind working for something. Earning that rare item is definitely worth it. But there's a point where you're quite literally WORKING for it, and with a doubled drop rate still making it elusive it brings up a lot of questions.
    Options
  • Waseem
    Waseem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kill the 3 monsters in portals and the 3 bosses prior molag bal spawn and killing it , it could be a myth but if you read the soul-shriven skin description, it says daedric forces (probably the bosses) and their leader( molag)
    gl.. used to be like u before getting it on 6th day
    PC EU

Options
  • ZombieZig
    ZombieZig
    ✭✭✭
    Waseem wrote: »
    kill the 3 monsters in portals and the 3 bosses prior molag bal spawn and killing it , it could be a myth but if you read the soul-shriven skin description, it says daedric forces (probably the bosses) and their leader( molag)

Our group is so desperate, we are now doing that.... but we acknowledge it very well may be myth!
    Options
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Waseem wrote: »
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

Can we get a confirmation if the outer portals are required for the skin to drop?
    Options
  • Thornen
    Thornen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately RNG seems to be the go to for developers now days as it is an lazy and cheap way to inflate playtime. I'm not sure if Zos are actually trying to move away from it or introduce more, on 1 hand they added the telvar morphs to boxes, on the other hand they're adding rng gamble boxes to the store.

For 1 thing it would be interesting to be a fly on the wall during their staff meetings.
    Options
  • aidenmoore
    aidenmoore
    ✭✭✭✭
    People should be rewarded upon hard work not for being lucky. This is not just IC center event. vMA too.
    Daggerfall Covenant
    Gorrag gro-Gar - Dragonknight ( Vehemence )
    YT : Gorrag gro-Gar
    Options
  • fr33r4ng3r
    fr33r4ng3r
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't gotten the skin either, or the scamp for that matter. It's hard enough to get MB to drop loot at all, especially when you're fending off being ganked at the same time because you look like the soft target. Once I've dispatched my attackers and turned my attention back to MB, I'm too far behind to get loot. So I hang around. The group gets smaller and my chances improve and then we get zerged by another faction who have been patiently waiting for our numbers to dwindle so they can get their turn...

I also agree that there seems to be some sort of account modifier for RNG. Probably for population distribution. Whatever it is, it has to go. This game has to place everyone on an equal footing, and it definitely feels like it does not.

To illustrate the point, I remember back in the days of farming for Psijic Ambrosia fragments. I did the writ for 3 months on several characters and got exactly 0 fragments. I filed a bug because at that point the prices in the guild stores were already coming down because there was such a surplus. I hadn't received a single fragment. In the end I started buying them and then I started receiving the fragment I'd already bought. I received 3 part I's and 1 part V if I recall in 6 months. I bought the others. I still do the writs every day and have received 1 fragment in a year.
    Options
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A pure RNG system is prone to this kind of behavior. It may be an intentionally part of the design, or it may be because they haven't/can't implement an altered system. I'll see if I can do a writeup like my RNG writeup, and try to get a dev response or something.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
    Options
  • waterfairy
    waterfairy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There should be a backup put in place for things like this where if you did the same event an absurd amount of times (50 or more) then you should automatically get the special drop. The RNG system needs to be reworked but in the meantime that guaranteed 50th run would at least give peace to players like the OP so it's not a major waste of time.
    Edited by waterfairy on September 8, 2016 5:39PM
    Options