Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Resetting skill points

Da_Nutz
Da_Nutz
I've heard you can reset them. I accidentally clicked on a wrong last night and now thinking about it Whilst I'm still a new player levelling up I don't think I used them wisely when 1st started out.
If I reset them do ones that I choose to put back on again go back to 0 or will they return to their previous level?
  • cjhhickman39
    cjhhickman39
    ✭✭✭✭
    You keep the level you have reached before reset so if you decide to revisit that skill you will start where you left off not at zero
    Edited by cjhhickman39 on September 3, 2016 9:21AM
  • Da_Nutz
    Da_Nutz
    Perfect thanks. I'll track down a location tonight and get it all done. I've watched many videos with people giving advice. I heard it was good to have 1 skill point on everything possible so they all upgrade or am I misunderstanding that? At the risk of being lazy and not searching for a vid on resetting does anyone know off the top of their head how much gold per point? Thx
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Da_Nutz wrote: »
    I heard it was good to have 1 skill point on everything possible so they all upgrade or am I misunderstanding that?
    You're misunderstanding. A skill can only upgrade if it's equipped on your activity bar. If you're at level 15 and have dual swap capabilities, the skill can be on either bar, even if the bar isn't actively used.

Many lower leveled players will use the second bar to level up skills they plan to use later, while focusing on those they use to play the game. I recommend this strategy as well.
    At the risk of being lazy and not searching for a vid on resetting does anyone know off the top of their head how much gold per point? Thx
    I didn't know there was a price per point. I just assumed it was a flat rate. I know the price increases significantly if you do it again, which I thought was more a deterrent measure than a price per point.

Interesting.

PS: you may not need to do all skills if you inadvertently morphed a skill. You can reset just the morphs at a fraction of the price.

• Da_Nutz
    Da_Nutz
    Thanks for clearing that up. Only recently got dual swap and wondered why couldn't use magic when switched to bow. Good to know can equip magic for it too.
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skill points are about 50 gold per point to respec. So to wipe all skills my toon's cost about 8000-14000. Morphs cost 1000-3000. Mostly you'll be doing morphs throughout the characters life. You're low level..your respec will likely,only be a couple hundred.

A few tips per your questions:

- skills always retain their level, even on multiple morphs. In other words, you can level a morph to level four, respec it, buy the other morph and work that to 4 as well. If you have a morph at level 2, as an example, amd respec to the other one, that level 2 is saved if you ever return to that morph.

- skills level when they're on the weapon bar you're earning AP with. So do the weapon skill lines themselves. If I have a dual wield ability equipped and I'm killing things, I'm leveling dual wield and that skill. Note - another poster made a comment that I found confusing. When you have two weapon bars, XP only funnels to the bar equipped as you earn it. If I close a dolmen and get a big area clear bonus, that XP goes to the weapon type I have equipped and the skills on that bar when the piñon is closed. The back bar does not earn XP.

tip - say you want to level bow even though you have a sword and board setup you fight with? No problem, put a single bow ability on your sword and board bar. It will be a wasted button - you can't fire because you won't have a bow, but that ability and the bow line would level. This is more for experienced players...it can be hard to get by with a wasted button, but down the road you'll have many opportunities to exploit the leveling grind this way.

- as a general rule, when you're a younger character keep switching out skills on your bar so you're always leveling some. Try to keep 1-2 on there that are leveling. Invest in your class skills and your primary weapon line skills. Invest in some mage/fighters/undaunted. The armor active skills are actually quite good. Level some assault/support if you've pvp'd enough to earn them. Why do this? As an example, entropy (mages guild) is a powerful ability. Maybe you don't need it now, but if you level it on a "wasted" button while you're grinding, it will be max level if you ever do want it. Likewise, level all three armor lines. Who knows...you might respec someday and switch between magic and stamina. This tip is also a little advanced. You won't start to max out skills for a while. By the time you see your morphs starting to hit lvl 4, you'll understand the game a lot better and probably figure out to switch out skills.

- don't fret about "wasting" skill points. In fact, you only need to respec if you took a wrong morph and want to change it. But otherwise, there are some 200 sky shard skill points in the game, and like 200 others from quests and other sources. You can buy about 90% of the available slots on a character...skill points are not rare. If you want to budget yourself, from lvl 1-50 plan to purchase every one of your class skills (unless they just sound awful...a few are) and every single class passive. You can also easily purchase 3 complete weapon lines and passives, buying maybe three active skills per weapon line. You can also buy Mage/fighters passives here and there as useful, and your race passives. Like I said...skill points are not rare.

- if you don't want to grind every sky shard in the game (which I did because it's fun to me), you might "save" some points by having a main character that fights, and Alts who craft. A lot of players create an armorer who levels smith, wood and cloth, and then a enchanter to handle provisioning, enchanting and alchemy. It's a little work, but not so bad. Your main fights, throws his crap in the bank, and your Alts deconstruct/store it. A trade skill line is about 25 points...that frees up a lot of points for your fighter. However, if you're the type of player who plays every quest and grabs every shard, feel,free to craft with your main. My main has almost every ability unlocked, 95% of the passives and he has points in smith, cloth, wood and provisioning. I moved enchanting and alchemy elsewhere...because he's spent a freaking load of points, lol. The main point here is that if you're going to be a crafter, pick a character to handle this. Researching takes months and months...it's hard to start over with another toon.

Sorry, I think I got off track, lol. I got bored sitting at the DMV. Hope those tips help. I'm happy to answer any questions, just remember to use @davey1107 so the question pings me and I see it.

• Da_Nutz
    Da_Nutz
    @davey1107
    Thanks so much for that response. It is extremely helpful. I'm constantly looking online for different opinions and tips. There are some really good tips here not just for me but no doubt others at my level.
    I'm used to starting attacks from afar with bow then switching to dw as they start to get close but as I get stronger I doubt I'll bother with that and will equip different different weapon abilities on my main bar to level them too.
    I've got a lot of recipes learned with my main and have done a fair bit blacksmithing, wood and cloth with that too but alchemy I've not done any but am storing all the alchemy resources with 1 alt so will make that 1 alchemy. Didn't notice there was an echanthing skill line but if there is I have glyphs With 1 alt too. All 7 alts act as bank for specific types of things to save me having to spend on bag and bank upgrades so thankfully am setup to work with your suggestions.
    I hope this thread is as useful to others as it was me