The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Need help with magicka Nightblade pvp

LovesLost13
I see everyones stats and what they are shooting for in damage ect ect... I even followed some builds exactly.. but idk what i am missing (I am ps4)

I hate being a detriment to my team and can't ignore how poor my damage and such on pvp
Desription on character: Vet Rank 285
Race: Woodelf (I am planning change to Breton or High Elf)
Vampire.
Attributes:
Magick: 64
Health: 0
Stam: 0
Equipment: I use full Julianos and Vicious Death sets. Willpower set for rings and necklace.
Dual swords first bar.
Resto Staff second bar.

My stats in cyrodil: (This is with Cyrodilic Field Treat food Buff on: Increase Max Health by 5000 and Magicka by 4575 )

Max Magic: 30916
Max Health: 25326
Max Stam: 9537

Spell Damage: 1669
Spell Critical: 59.8

Spell Resist: 11429
Critical Resist: 552

Magick Recov: 1728
Health Recov: 201
Stam Recov: 750

Weapon Damage: 1426
Weapon Critical: 40.8

Physical Resist: 7881

Again those are my buffed stats. Anyways,Now my stats from what I seen everyone post my stats are.. well.. Useless in fighting. Idk why my stats are so low compared to even other Magick Nightblades.. I want to learn what I need to compete.. please..I know my race could be influence. But over a 3 to 4k difference in damage? I do not understand..
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see everyones stats and what they are shooting for in damage ect ect... I even followed some builds exactly.. but idk what i am missing (I am ps4)

I hate being a detriment to my team and can't ignore how poor my damage and such on pvp
    Vampire.
    Attributes:
    Equipment: I use full Julianos and Vicious Death sets. Willpower set for rings and necklace.
    Dual swords first bar.
    Resto Staff second bar.

My stats in cyrodil: (This is with Cyrodilic Field Treat food Buff on: Increase Max Health by 5000 and Magicka by 4575 )

Again those are my buffed stats. Anyways,Now my stats from what I seen everyone post my stats are.. well.. Useless in fighting. Idk why my stats are so low compared to even other Magick Nightblades.. I want to learn what I need to compete.. please..I know my race could be influence. But over a 3 to 4k difference in damage? I do not understand..

since your going dual wield you need to change to Breton. You will benefit from the spell resistance, 10% increased magicka and 3% reduce cost cast. This will be better than high elf because your not weaving a destro staff for the elemental damage.secondly you need undaunted mettle for the 6% magicka boost. Thirdly, is your 5 piece light armor? Are you running gold gear? Also you need more cp points. I think you gain stats the higher your cp points. Lastly, you might want to consider something other than vicious death. Right now sounds like your having an identity crisis. Is your play style a bomb blade? If your running vicious death generally you would want alchemist set, proximity det, and soul tether. Otherwise, you may want to consider something else with julianos that would give you better single target or sustained dps.what is your mundus stone?

Just noticed your crit resist is very low. You need impen on your gear and Cp points into resist crit. At a minimum to survive cyrodil you need 2K+. Also you need to be running sharpened on your swords and max out spell erosion and then elemental damage in cp tree.
    Edited by LegacyDM on August 30, 2016 9:17AM
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
    ¥ampire Lord of the South
  • zuto40
    zuto40
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pro tip, go stam it's op
    Stamblade- Legate
    Tank/Heals Templar- Sergeant
    Magic DK- Corporal
    Stam DK- Sergeant
    Stamplar- Corporal

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy8uqORxhlrMh8oz2230s9g
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Firstly, forget julianos for pvp. Crit isn't great in pvp.

Swap it for kagernacs.

Make sure you have a siphoning ability on both bars to increase max magica by 8%.

Honestly, dual wield nb sucks these days, unless you go for a bomb blade. Destro resto is way better. You can then run very little regen (like 1300 is fine for me) and use Siphoning atracks. You can invest more in spell damage.

Like someone mentioned, most people have undaunted 9 so 6% higher magica, stam and health.

You need at least 4 impen (small bits).

Inner light on your front bar. 7% magica is huge.
  • joshhh_nb
    joshhh_nb
    ✭✭
    Magic nb is really in the lower end of all the classes right now but the build really depends on your play style. Best thing a mag nb can do nowadays is to build up really high burst.

Mag Nb destro resto is really good but tbh imo it gets really boring. I like dual wield because I like melee.

5kags,5seducers,5 Julianos, Lich set, 4 Magnus, 2 torugs, 3 willpower, maelstrom resto/master resto - are all really good sets to use. Since I'm a vampire and a high elf in some of my setups I can get up to 1.8k recovery even with all spell damage glyphs on all my jewellery whilst using the shadow mundus. I don't think atro is really that good on magic nbs because you'll often run out of magic even before you kill people because of how tanky a lot of people are.

I'm also using inner light on my front bar to get more magic,higher crit chance and to take people out of stealth. Since there aren't enough slots I drop harness magic for siphoning attacks and I make sure I have 2k+ crit resist with most of my gear being impen so I can invest less points into crit resist and more into hardy and the other one.
  • LovesLost13
    Thank you guys for all the information. I was planning for a bomb blade. But I guess i went with wrong gear and have alot more work to do with overall just building my character. The reason I don´t go stam right now (even though its top dog and I could easily start using it) Is I just find Mag nightblade more unique and fun. Just my personal opinion.... Also I have a tendency to sprint everywhere instead of getting my mount out Then when I fight something I am like crap no stam. lol.

But again thank you all for your feedback will definetly test somethings.
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with what Josh said, the only thing I'll add to it is...

There are only 2 ways you can be bad to your team
    1) You are dying a lot which may indirectly cause them to die

2) You are not doing enough damage to kill the enemy fast enough

Your max magicka is really low at 30k, the minimum it should be is 36k & I try to keep my minimum at 38k
    Your health is fine but maybe you could lose 1k
    Your stamina could use a little boost but instead of boosting the stat you can use recovery by morphing the merciless resolve ability to the one that gives stamina recovery or by using 1 piece blood spawn; even 2 piece wouldn't be bad on magicka nb

If you are wearing light armor:
    You need shields, put 80-100 points into bastion, you could even try putting that many points into blessed ( i knew an argonian nb one time; it was aids...)
    Josh already listed the armor for this

If you decide to try heavy:
    Run immovable brute for reduce cost breakfree & either worm cult/seducer for sustain & still need healing bubble
    Clever Alchemist, Elf bane, Julianos (you need sets that will give you really high spell damage & kags doesn't really do this in heavy)

No matter what you go with you end up spamming healing bubble & cloak in a bad situation
    Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg
  • mtwiggz
    mtwiggz
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Vampire.
    Attributes:
    Dual swords first bar.
    Resto Staff second bar.

The more CP you have the higher your stat pools, damage output and mitigation is. You're really slacking in the CP department which makes an already difficult class to play even more difficult.

As far as sets? You're definitely not running the BiS, which also will take part in your low damage. Always make sure your weapons are Gold (and sharpened) in the case of DW you want the last passive Twin Blade and Blunt, otherwise running DW is a massive DPS loss.

Would run Destro/Resto on a mageblade rather than DW unless your a bombblade as well. The added DPS and pressure for light/medium weaves is more so than that of the added DPS of DW. Not to mention Merciless Resolve procs hit like a truck, use that damn skill!

1x Kena
    5x Julianos
    3x Willpower
    2x Torugs

All Spell Damage glyphs on jewelry and all magicka enchants on armor. Can run 7/7 light or 5/1/1 depending if you have undaunted. Even recommend 5L/2H in a lot of cases for Mageblades.

Basically the meta setup for Mageblade. Those saying you'll have sustain issues are just bad at managing resources. Can drop Julianos for Alchemist (burst) or Kags (equal regen/SD) or Seducer (all regen). Which greatly depends on your play style and resource management.

Realistically Mageblade is in a terrible spot. Light armor is very squishy and DPS is super low. Kiting and ultiburst is your best option at killing players.
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you do go bomb blade-- look into getting Potions of Immovability and Potions of Spell Power. When I tried Bomb blade I sucked pretty hard at it, kept running into CCs and Stuns. Immovability pot will help you out a lot.
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bomb blade is hard an you need clever alchemist to really make it shine . The trick of using shadow image properly is key and takes much practice !
  • Stoopid_Nwah
    Stoopid_Nwah
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you're going bomb blade I would do as other said and run alchemist (4 on front, 1 back bar resto). Also, Max your mages guild up if you haven't already-you will want that last passive that grants empower. Pop inner light then go for your bomb.

It also looks like your magicka is really low because you're running either drinks or the wrothgar drink. Run food to buff it up. Bombers/gankers don't run high recovery so this is another thing to consider.

Finally, I would suggest you give destro/resto or a saptank a chance, since it sounds like you do a lot of group play and these two can bring some great utility to a group.
  • joshhh_nb
    joshhh_nb
    ✭✭
    Your max magic is definitely low, mine has about 44k Max magic with inner light and 41 or 42 without. Are you using food?

- just read your stats, you deffo need to get more cp, mag nbs are already gimped as it is.
    Edited by joshhh_nb on August 30, 2016 8:19PM
  • LovesLost13
    joshhh_nb wrote: »
    Your max magic is definitely low, mine has about 44k Max magic with inner light and 41 or 42 without. Are you using food?

- just read your stats, you deffo need to get more cp, mag nbs are already gimped as it is.

I use Food Cyrodilic Field Treat. But the stats i gave you. Are with the food on. So my stats are actually 5000 health less as well as 4575 magicka less Than what i showed you.
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mag nb is on the level on a mag dk at the moment to be honest.

But if you build right it can be decent, not as good as stamina but it won't be useless.

Currently my mag nb has 52k magicka, 2.8k spell dmg with 1750 regen.

Even with this dmg i still hit like 3k swallow souls on the heavy armour fotm stam builds xD
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • ryanborror
    ryanborror
    ✭✭✭
    Gold max magic enchants and gold spell damage enchants. Try and use 2 siphoning and 2 assassination abilities on each bar for max magic and crit.
    dooderrr
    templars, nightblades
    PC/XB1 NA
  • WarLord2905
    WarLord2905
    ✭✭✭
    I have just re-rolled a magblade with the race changes available and the set I am running is working really well. I did have a redguard stamblade and have rolled a Breton magblade, mainly because no matter how much I try I just don't like running stamina builds because they are all pretty much the same. This set up is working really well for me at the moment and I can take on stambuilds and win.

Skills
    Front bar - duel wield
    Lotus fan, Sap essence, soul swallow, fear, concealed weapon, ult - soul tether or soul harvest
    Back Bar - resto
    Cripple or prolonged agony, merciless resolve(for the 8% damage buff), double take, healing ward, shadowy disguise, ult - soul tether or batswarm

Gear
    Front bar - 5 Julianos, 3magnus, 1 Kena (can be changed for Magnus if you don't have), 3 willpower (all spell power)
    Backbar - 3julianos, 4 magnus, 3 willpower
    Run 2 heavy chest & legs, 5 light all impen traits, all magicka enchants (all gear and enchants purple at the moment) - all this gear is easy to get and cheap in comparison to some other stuff out there.

Stats - Tri-stack food - cyrodiil
    Magic - 38950
    Health - 22,300
    Stam - 13,500
    Spell damage - 2,550 (with procs around 3300)
    Spell crit - 50%
    Spell resist - 20,000
    Physical resist - 15k front bar, 20k back bar
    Crit resist - 2500

I am running all attributes into magic and i am vampire. As most magblades I excel at attacking from stealth (yes I gank and love it). Magblade is far from dead in PVP, don't let the stamina sheep tell you otherwise. If you want to run the same build and press the same buttons over and over again run any class as stamina, they are the same anyway. Crit rush, dizzy-swing, dizzy-swing, dizzy-swing, executioner.

Have fun with the magblade, i think this is one of the only classes you can mix up a lot of different skills and combos and still be successful, no need to run a cookie cutter build like 90% of cyrodiil
    NA Server XBOX 1
    BAWS Order Of Wolves
  • LovesLost13
    Thanks again all of you for your Advice and builds to help me. Its going to take awhile before I can even try these things into effect since I guess I have to lvl up alot more and not just change sets.

And @WarLord2905 Thats exactly why I fell in love with MagBlades. The flexibilty along with just how fun the class is. I was once all stam (why i chose Bosmer at first long time ago) Found it boring after awhile. But thats just me.

Again Thank You all for even sparing your time to give me help.
  • Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Op: I run willpower - destro-staff or swords (dw passive) sharpened or decisive traits for meteor slinging

Transmutation defending trait restoration

Kena helm
    2-3 vicious death
    2 transmutation
    1-2 cyrodiils light

5 impen minimum

Or (5 twice born star apprentice mage )

1-2 two cyrodiils light rings plus arcane willpower necklace, all spell power enchantments.

With the arcane setup I run v15 blue magicka health food -

regeneration comes from vampirism the skill purge and siphoning attacks slotted on restor bar. I use elusive mist to regenerate stamina.

To be honest I miss playing the 30k magicka 2500 magicka recovery 1400 stam recovery magicka nb - perfect for disrupting siege defenses inside castles - infinitely cloak infinite cc infinite shielding etc - but I couldn't get as many direct kills or if I did it took forever.

Eta:
    Speaking of combos. I've giggled over the ole crippling grasp agony meteor combo.

A shooting star plus spectral bow hit for 20k.

Have fun
    Edited by Metemsycosis on August 31, 2016 11:53AM
    Terethea Magdalena, Breton Nightblade
    A Dark-Adapted Eye, Imperial Necromancer

sanguinare vampiris

https://m.twitch.tv/amcrenshaw/profile
  • Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dblpst
    Edited by Metemsycosis on August 31, 2016 12:59PM

sanguinare vampiris

• kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To my knowledge I was the first nb to start doing the prolonged suffering + meteor combo.
    The reason was because I kept getting my butt kicked going up against magicka dk's a few patches ago where they would consistantly win by dropping meteor & then immediately using petrify so that there wasn't enough time to break free from CC that I would be hit directly by meteor without being able to block.
    I got tired of this & sometime around the wrothgar/orsinium patch decided to use their own trick against them.

The right way to do this is pop a spell potion, hit inner light, hit meteor, hit prolonged suffering/agony so that they take a knee & take full damage of your meteor without being able to break free of CC fast enough that they can't block & end up taking full damage.

Shortly after I started doing this every nightblade I saw slowly picked up on it.
    #you're_welcome_nb_community
    Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg
  • Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was trying the combo with the concealed weapon stun but found that unless I was coming out of nowhere, when the combo was very strong, sorcs could easily streak through me and dks could put me in talons, etc etc. Mass Hysteria requires basically melee-range, which is ok, but I hate having to gap close targets whom I'm attempting to execute and prefer to run without lotus fan unless I am doing group vs group. I use ultimates usually to start and finish. I know it's considered bad play to use them to start but I also know that keeping on the offensive is a good way to win.

Anyway I saw purple slushi (sp?) on ps4 use shade, agony, and soul assault (which is an ultimate I honestly love in 1v1 against 50% of the player base - i.e., not useful against sorcs or Templars) against a pretty tough solo magicka dk and have been trying to incorporate agony since. Landing the spectral bow alongside shooting star against a cc'd opponent has been serving me well lately.

btw, I started running radiant magelight instead of inner light and all of a sudden i'm no longer a victim of horse ganking.

op:
    i failed to mention this before: check out 5 fasallas, 5 twilight's embrace, 2 monster helm (nerien'eth, engine guardian, malubeth, valkyn skoria) - potentially tanky crowd controller with decent aoe through sap essence, proxy det, veil of blades or its morph. make sure swallow soul is slotted to gain additional healing.
    Edited by Metemsycosis on August 31, 2016 8:05PM

sanguinare vampiris