The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Lua Limit

Cously
Cously
✭✭✭✭✭
Is there any way to do away with that dialogue that pops up asking to increase Lua memory limit? That crap is super intrusive and I hit it by accident countless times during combat or other important activities which makes it /reloadui. Anyone knows any addon? It is infuriating.
  • JKith
    JKith
    ✭✭✭
    I had this problem too and modified a file called UserSetting.txt

below is the source of the info, i set the LUA memory to 1024 and never again got the popup.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/144921/how-to-fix-that-annoying-lua-memory-limit-error-easy-as-1-2-3
    Edited by JKith on August 30, 2016 1:39AM
  • Aquanova
    Aquanova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shissu's LUA memory. Download from Minion.
    NA/PC
  • Leony1981
    Leony1981
    ✭✭
    And what if you don't use addons such as myself?
    Even when not using any addons at all I still get this notification popping up on my screen...
  • Baertram
    Baertram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The game consumes your physical memory for ingames tuff, even if it's no addon the game source for the inventories etc. is using the lua script language and thus using lua memory.
    If you do a lot and play long time the lua memory will be filled and at any time it can be full.

If you are not using any addon:
    So just logout, change the UserSettings.txt"as described in the posts before, and login again and you're fine.
  • Belidos
    Belidos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go into ...

Documents > Elder Scrolls Online >Live

... Find the UserSettings file and open it in notepad, in there you should find the following line:

SET LuaMemoryLimitMB "64"

(the number might be different but it's that line), then increase the number, if you have a lowish memory machine i would recommend about 512, if you have a machine with more memory then anything up to about 2048 should be no problem.
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leony1981 wrote: »
    And what if you don't use addons such as myself?
    Even when not using any addons at all I still get this notification popping up on my screen...

Got the same problem and don't use addons as well, the general LUA setting is just too low. Changing it as described by @Belidos (post above) to 256 and upwards solves the problem. (At least I never got another of those messages, plus it eases lag a little tiny bit)
  • Belidos
    Belidos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As @Elsterchen said, it should fix memory limit messages for non-addon users too.

LUA isn't just used for add-ons, it's actually a full scripting language, similar in some ways, but very different in others to C#, if Elder Scrolls Online accepts add-ons in LUA format then it's a very good chance that it's used in other areas of the game, especially things like the interface, quests, and many of the game mechanics, it's just that we don't see them as LUA files because they are hidden in encrypted archives in the data files.

So as LUA is used throughout the engine then changing the memory limit for LUA should theoretically help with performance of all those hundreds (if not thousands) of background scripts running while we play the game.
  • Misa
    Misa
    ✭✭✭