Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Some questions from a newcomer

Rololollo
Rololollo
Soul Shriven
Hai everyone!

First of all I'd like to say sorry for my English. I'd say it's not perfect, but hopefully ya'll understand everything ^^

So me and wife just purchased ESO, well actually we purchased it about 8 hours ago yet we can't play it coz of the maintenance. Kinda funny and sad, but whatever, this isn't a complaint thread.

We just wanted to get some things clear about the game. Sure thing we will figure it out by our own when the game finally works, but we got bored waiting so we just wanna say Hi to everyone and ask some questions.

We've read like tons of reviews before purchasing the game. There are just 2 types of reviews. First type - the game just horribly sux. Usually posted by people who expected Skyrim 2.0, TES 6, etc. They got an MMO in their face and that fact truly dissapointed them. The other type of reviews are about how the game is highly underrated and it's just the best MMO ever PLUS it's about TES which is good for a TES fan. There were slightly more 2nd-type reviews so we decided to give it a try. Also most of the bad reviews were from 2014 when the game was bugged etc. Also there is no trial in this game, so you can't just try it before purchasing. So..

1. How would you rate this as a TES game? Out of 10
2. How would you rate this as a MMORPG game?
3. Is it still as bugged as people say it was in 2014? We've read that there were tons of server crashes, disconnects, etc. Okay, pretty much every game has bugs, especially MMORPGs. Did the situation in ESO get better atleast? How many times a week should I expect to get lagged/disconnected/whatever? My PC and Internet connection are perfect for ESO.
4. People say this game is a solo-game in a MMORPG world. You can't group with people (coz it's bugged?), most of the quests are solo-style. Can we enjoy this game as 2 people playing together should enjoy a MMO game? Doing quests together and stuff?
5. How long does it take to get to level 50? We won't play hardcore-style, maybe 2-4 hours a day, no powergaming, no rushing, making every quest, exploring every location etc.
6. The game map seems to be enormous. Is it just "territories with similar mobs and dungeons and 0 fun" of is it worth exploring?
7. What to do after level 50? I know there are vetran ranks, but is it just the same leveling but slower? What to do after top veteran rank? We're not that much interested in PvP, that will do maybe 25% of our playing time, is there something interesting to do after 50/top vet level? Maybe some events, or some really hard bosses etc.
8. Is the game actually hard? Are there really hard bosses or quests that require high skill level? Real teamwork etc? Or is it just a boss with 925952251 hp and you should just right-click him?
9. Should we get the DLCs at the beginning? Will it be fun enough to play without the DLCs, lets say, untill level 50 atleast?
10. I think this game isn't a P2W game. Yet you can buy potions which give you faster exp. You can't call this a real pay to win I guess. Didn't see any other things you can buy for real cash that brakes the balance. Am I right?
11. Are the classes balanced? Well, there is a little disbalance in any game. Just are they pretty balanced, or horribly disbalanced, overall?

I could continue the list but these are the main thing we wanted to know :р

Much appreciated for all the upcoming answers!

PS: No spoilers, please ^^
Edited by Rololollo on August 22, 2016 6:29PM
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Rololollo wrote: »
    It's got a good story and lots to explore, but can't be quite as immersive as a single-player TES game due to the nature of MMOs. 7/10.
    I personally like it much more than other MMOs but I'm not really an MMO guy as much as I'm an RPG guy.
    3. Is it still as bugged as people say it was in 2014? People say there were tons of server crashes, disconnects, etc. Okay, pretty much every game has bugs, expecially MMORPGs. Did the situation in ESO get better atleast? How many times a week should I expect to get lagged/disconnected/whatever? My PC and Internet connection are perfect for ESO.
    I almost never crash or DC. There's more bugs right after an update and those get fixed over the following weeks. Lots of people complain but I don't have that many problems personally, YMMV.
    4. People say this game is a solo-game in a MMORPG world. You can't group with people (coz it's bugged?), most of the quests are solo-style. Can we enjoy this game as 2 people playing together should enjoy a MMO game? Doing quests together and stuff?
    Much of the questing is targeted at solo players but you should not have any problem questing together. There are some parts of the main quest(s) that are solo-only, however.
    5. How long does it take to get to level 50? We won't play hardcore-style, maybe 2-4 hours a day, no powergaming, no rushing, making every quest, exploring every location etc.
    If you do all the quests and read all the dialogue then it's going to take a long time. Enjoy it, it's one of the best parts of the game.
    6. The game map seems to be enormous. Is it just "territories with similar mobs and dungeons and 0 fun" of is it worth exploring?
    Explore it all, there are hidden gems everywhere.
    7. What to do after level 50? I know there are vetran ranks, but is it just the same leveling but slower? What to do after top veteran rank? We're not that much interested in PvP, that will do maybe 25% of our playing time, is there something interesting to do after 50/top vet level? Maybe some events, or some really hard bosses etc.
    No veteran ranks anymore, now we have champion points. Once you get past 50 there are veteran dungeons and trials with, yes, very tough bosses & encounters.
    8. Is the game actually hard? Are there really hard bosses or quests that require high skill level? Real teamwork etc? Or is it just a boss with 925952251 hp and you should just right-click him?
    Parts of the game are hard and require coordination (trials), other parts are faceroll easy for the most part (solo questing).
    9. Should we get the DLCs at the beginning? Will it be fun enough to play without the DLCs, lets say, untill level 50 atleast?
    There is so much to do without the DLCs I would not worry about it for awhile unless you really want to join the Thieves Guild or Dark Brotherhood or whatever.
    10. I think this game isn't a P2W game. Yet you can buy potions which give you faster exp. You can't call this a real pay to win I guess. Didn't see any other things you can buy for real cash that brakes the balance. Am I right?
    You can craft things in-game that are the same as or better than what you buy for $$$, so not pay-to-win, it's pay-to-be-mediocre or pay-to-save-gold.
    11. Are the classes balanced? Okay, there is a little disbalance in any game. Just are they pretty balanced, or horribly disbalanced, overall?
    We're probably closer to true balance now than we have ever been. No it's not perfect but it is improving over time.

Edited by wayfarerx on August 22, 2016 6:34PM
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • camknox
    camknox
    ✭✭✭
    wayfarerx wrote: »
    It's got a good story and lots to explore, but can't be quite as immersive as a single-player TES game due to the nature of MMOs. 7/10.
    I personally like it much more than other MMOs but I'm not really an MMO guy as much as I'm an RPG guy.
    3. Is it still as bugged as people say it was in 2014? People say there were tons of server crashes, disconnects, etc. Okay, pretty much every game has bugs, expecially MMORPGs. Did the situation in ESO get better atleast? How many times a week should I expect to get lagged/disconnected/whatever? My PC and Internet connection are perfect for ESO.
    I almost never crash or DC. There's more bugs right after an update and those get fixed over the following weeks. Lots of people complain but I don't have that many problems personally, YMMV.
    Much of the questing is targeted at solo players but you should not have any problem questing together. There are some parts of the main quest(s) that are solo-only, however.
    If you do all the quests and read all the dialogue then it's going to take a long time. Enjoy it, it's one of the best parts of the game.
    Explore it all, there are hidden gems everywhere.
    No veteran ranks anymore, now we have champion points. Once you get past 50 there are veteran dungeons and trials with, yes, very tough bosses & encounters.
    Parts of the game are hard and require coordination (trials), other parts are faceroll easy for the most part (solo questing).
    There is so much to do without the DLCs I would not worry about it for awhile unless you really want to join the Thieves Guild or Dark Brotherhood or whatever.
    You can craft things in-game that are the same as or better than what you buy for $$$, so not pay-to-win, it's pay-to-be-mediocre or pay-to-save-gold.
    11. Are the classes balanced? Okay, there is a little disbalance in any game. Just are they pretty balanced, or horribly disbalanced, overall?
    We're probably closer to true balance now than we have ever been. No it's not perfect but it is improving over time.

This is actually pretty spot on. Once the server comes back up get in and have a chop. You will be spending the better part of your first day just getting started and playing around in the starter city (after you do the tutorial).

My first play through (after Beta) I completed all quests in my alliance, then all the quests in the 2nd alliance (silver) and finally all quest-lines in the 3rd alliance (gold). It took forever. Glad I did it at least once though. But now I blast a character to 50 and get on with gaming.
  • mateoz
    mateoz
    ✭✭✭

6/10
    5/10
    3. Is it still as bugged as people say it was in 2014? We've read that there were tons of server crashes, disconnects, etc. Okay, pretty much every game has bugs, especially MMORPGs. Did the situation in ESO get better atleast? How many times a week should I expect to get lagged/disconnected/whatever? My PC and Internet connection are perfect for ESO.
    about 1 or 2 times per week
    Really cool to Duo only about a dozen are solo only, dungeons are for 4 or 12
    2-4 hours a day is about 4 weeks to get to 50 and that's about 25% of the game or less
    It worth exploring but don't do everything because you have probable for over 2 years of questing.
    There are very challenging content at end-game from solo to raid group
    It is very easy until you reach end-game and learn you have been playing wrong from the begening. theory craft, reaction time and your PC will play a major role to get big dps number.
    DLC are not required at all but I would suggest them lv50+
    No not right now
    11. Are the classes balanced? Well, there is a little disbalance in any game. Just are they pretty balanced, or horribly disbalanced, overall?
    Every class got their 3 months OP then nerfed, pick one eventually its going to be the best for a short time. Races are very important
  • soll
    soll
    ✭✭✭
    so...

1) and 2 )– I'm pretty bad ranker, but I enjoy game very much from both sides :) however, I came as TES fan
    3) I wouldn't say that. there are always some bugs around, but they most likely not game crushing like before (for example non finishing quests)
    4) This is kind of weak point of eso. there are dungeons, trials, pvp and etc content, which you can enjoy with friend, but majority of questing not really. they are indeed mostly solo oriented, however you still can do it together with friend (shared quest are in the game), but there is not a big point.
    5) here I would say a lot of time. Including all 3 alliances, and not even counting dlc, craglorn and Cyrodiil quests it's still a lot.
    fas you say for "2-4 hours evening plays" can be over months. When I was pushing hard through quests with my alt char it was taking me a week per alliance zone (total 3 of them). took me a lot of hours a day too. Can't rank it well neither, because my brain knows, that power leveled can be done in couple days :)
    6) Locations are different! It's not like in other bethesda's game copy paste. Another atmosphere in each of them. The only my complain would be about AD forests, but other ones are unic :#
    7) CP points leveling. max level is 531, and each point will improve your char. Overall – PVP, Trials, arenas, dungeons for best items. you'll not be able to get max level items on lvl 50, but 160cp. so, plenty of time again.
    8) There are some hard dungeons, but manor challenge is in 12 man veteran trials. They are hard, can't be done without team work no way.
    9) will be totaly fine without them, especially before lvl 50.
    10) There is nothing from PTW. some consumes, exp scrolls, but all of it (and even better) can be done by in-game content without problems (including exp potions). Some good gear available only in dlc's, but you can live fine without it or some of it get in game through other players.
    11) well... There are a lot of options for each class, so it makes it good, but sure some classes ara stronger comparing to others (who was nerfed). But with every class can be done strong build.
    For example – atm stamina looks stronger than magica. It doesn't mean that magica totaly sucks... it's just weaker

whoh :o
    EU PC
    I like to heal
    Triggered Tryhards/ HighRisk
    EP – Sollencia
    AD – Sollencia Overdose
    When you've invested time and money into a company, you have the right to be upset over changes that will negatively affect your experience and gameplay.

• Rololollo
    Rololollo
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Helped alot. The game finally works so have fun and cya ingame!