Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

crowns to gold?

Suter1972
Suter1972
✭✭✭✭
Is there any way to convert crowns to gold ingame?

I bought a load of crowns to get DLC but having read the reviews the base game is huge and a bit overwhelming for a newbie. The feedback on the DLC doesn’t seems that great either. I bought a camel and a pig and have it all sat there, yet in game im scraping around collecting 6 and 7 gold here and there.
Was - Breton DC ( GIRL - Guy In Real Life toon) Magika Templar Healer/ 5-8 trait Crafter - currently CP290 and learning now starting again on xbox…...

xbox suter1972 - Character name - Hota Woskeef

Xbox EU ESO+ Mature (40+) UK casual gamer
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nope.

OTOH what you need is income; if you are willing to farm (either materials, or stealing over and over) I'm told it's not that hard (I have absolutely no patience for it, tend to decon EVERYTHING that I get, so I just had to get used to being broke.

Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Pandorii
    Pandorii
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Suter1972 wrote: »

I bought a load of crowns to get DLC but having read the reviews the base game is huge and a bit overwhelming for a newbie. The feedback on the DLC doesn’t seems that great either. I bought a camel and a pig and have it all sat there, yet in game im scraping around collecting 6 and 7 gold here and there.

I loved this part...

As far as I know, there's no way to transfer crowns to gold, at least not directly. You can purchase items that might save you gold. For example, you could buy riding speed upgrades for your mounts and save the little bit of gold you would have to pay every day to upgrade it. Similarly, you could buy bank space upgrades, which cost in-game gold otherwise. You could buy a motif instead of having to buy it with gold.
    Edited by Pandorii on August 19, 2016 7:28AM
  • Suter1972
    Suter1972
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pandorii wrote: »

I loved this part...

As far as I know, there's no way to transfer crowns to gold, at least not directly. You can purchase items that might save you gold. For example, you could buy riding speed upgrades for your mounts and save the little bit of gold you would have to pay every day to upgrade it. Similarly, you could buy bank space upgrades, which cost in-game gold otherwise. You could buy a motif instead of having to buy it with gold.

Haha yes I didnt want to just rock up as a Breton with a glowing guar and a beetle as a pet, just didn’t seem right as I like to have a bit of back story (RP etc).

I spent the whole evening trotting calmy around daggerfall between craft stations, buying bank space etc chopping wood and picking lowers while everyone ran around like headless chickens all around me. Some high level people even found the need to run up to me, flash of light and show me how impressive their glowing spikes are while I stood and watching. I even did a spot of fishing and got attacked by an assassin. Still managed to haul the fish out though, he wasn’t having that. That’s the last time I follow a random dog to a river. I went from helping begger who was whining that ‘no-one helps the beggers’ to walking straight into the castle and having banter with the king of daggerfall (before more assassins ruined the party.

Overall quite a surreal second evening in the game lol

But on topic, thanks for the advice. Bank space etc is proving essential even at level 8 as im fast collecting a load of useless crap/materials
    Was - Breton DC ( GIRL - Guy In Real Life toon) Magika Templar Healer/ 5-8 trait Crafter - currently CP290 and learning now starting again on xbox…...

• DrkHunter86
    DrkHunter86
    ✭✭✭

Golds hard too come by early on but it gets better at higher levels. Once you hit 50 and unlock cp you should get a decent amount. Crafting writs help too. Collect every crafting material you can and consider joining a trade guild. I make close too 100k a week from this adding gold conversion would break the in game economy.
  • carljokl
    carljokl
    ✭✭✭
    I think writs are your friend. Their payout is quite a bit higher than you would get from quests at the same level. Provisioning can be relatively easy.

As said, allowing people to buy anything that can be sold for gold or gold directly would have implications on the economy.

I might suggest if you are buying crown packs to weigh that up with ESO Plus membership. You get a regular amount of crowns with this. You get 1500 crowns per month. The price of 1500 crowns is similar to a months worth of ESO Plus.

The crafting bag could take a lot of pressure off your storage. I found in the early days most of my money was spent on storage. You get an experience boost too and the DLC. It can be more cost effective than buying everything individually with crown packs but that depends on your spending patterns.
    My Characters

Xargothius: Breton - JOAT / Magsorc | Orchid the Fair: Orismer - Crafter / Heavy Tank | Voneri Vox: Dunmer - Magplar Healer | Rexorgiana: Imperial - Temptress / Magblade
    Phirkius: Altmer - MagSorc | Rexorigus: Imperial - Med Tank / StamKnight | Sven Svedishchef: Nord - Provisioner / Stamplar | Finds-All-Fungi: Argonian - Alchemist/ Stamblade
    Emerald-Wild-Guard: Bosmer - Wyrd / StamSorc | Nates Datum Festi: Imperial - Light Tank / StamKnight | Magnolia Desert-Blossom: Redguard - 2 Handed Stamplar | Shadow-Softpaw: Khajiit - StamBlade
    Sorcerer | Dragon Knight | Templar | Night Blade
  • carljokl
    carljokl
    ✭✭✭
    I say this as someone who fell into the trap of buying a bunch of Crown packs, buying the DLC....only later to decide just to go ESO Plus and realise I could have saved quite a bit if I did that in the first place.

For my side as regards making money I am in a kind of an in between stage. I don't have to scrimp for gold the same as a new player but the highest amounts of money seems to be made from crafting and selling high level gear or selling some of the most rare commodities in the game. I am not far enough along to do either...yet. It can be an eye opener hearing top end players talking about selling things for hundreds of thousands or sometimes a million gold. Imagining everything I could buy with that kind of money.
    Edited by carljokl on August 19, 2016 11:51AM
    My Characters

Xargothius: Breton - JOAT / Magsorc | Orchid the Fair: Orismer - Crafter / Heavy Tank | Voneri Vox: Dunmer - Magplar Healer | Rexorgiana: Imperial - Temptress / Magblade
    Phirkius: Altmer - MagSorc | Rexorigus: Imperial - Med Tank / StamKnight | Sven Svedishchef: Nord - Provisioner / Stamplar | Finds-All-Fungi: Argonian - Alchemist/ Stamblade
    Emerald-Wild-Guard: Bosmer - Wyrd / StamSorc | Nates Datum Festi: Imperial - Light Tank / StamKnight | Magnolia Desert-Blossom: Redguard - 2 Handed Stamplar | Shadow-Softpaw: Khajiit - StamBlade
    Sorcerer | Dragon Knight | Templar | Night Blade
  • DPG76
    DPG76
    ✭✭✭
    carljokl wrote: »
    I think writs are your friend. Their payout is quite a bit higher than you would get from quests at the same level. Provisioning can be relatively easy.

As said, allowing people to buy anything that can be sold for gold or gold directly would have implications on the economy.

I might suggest if you are buying crown packs to weigh that up with ESO Plus membership. You get a regular amount of crowns with this. You get 1500 crowns per month. The price of 1500 crowns is similar to a months worth of ESO Plus.

The crafting bag could take a lot of pressure off your storage. I found in the early days most of my money was spent on storage. You get an experience boost too and the DLC. It can be more cost effective than buying everything individually with crown packs but that depends on your spending patterns.

you also find more gold (bigger amounts) in game with ESO plus
    if not you can craft your gear with Prosperous trait or ask someone to craft , it's a small boost
    steal as much as you can everywhere
    good luck
  • AntMan100673
    AntMan100673
    ✭✭✭
    Early on in the game the only important things to buy are a mount, bag and bank upgrades and then you just need enough income to pay for riding training. Once you reach higher levels and may need to buy stuff you'll find gold is easier to come by
    EU - EP - Dunmer - Dragonknight - Magicka DPS - CP160

GT: AntMan100673
  • DrkHunter86
    DrkHunter86
    ✭✭✭
    Early on in the game the only important things to buy are a mount, bag and bank upgrades and then you just need enough income to pay for riding training. Once you reach higher levels and may need to buy stuff you'll find gold is easier to come by

Yea golds not too important untill you hit vet ranks/cp. Really only necessary for buying things you can't craft yourself. So if you wanna save be a master crafter
  • Suter1972
    Suter1972
    ✭✭✭✭
    So I did the writs last night. Didn't have many materials so a bit of graft needed early on. Then I got a load of resources as a reward which has made things easier.

Hardest part now is not gold as such, it's finding better gear in vendors ( guilds seems better) but it's either unknown (npc) or lvl 50 so no use yet. I'm relying on drops from quests now.

• AntMan100673
    AntMan100673
    ✭✭✭
    Don't bother buying gear at low levels as you out level it quickly. I just used drops up to level 50, then a guildie made me my first set of armour
    EU - EP - Dunmer - Dragonknight - Magicka DPS - CP160

GT: AntMan100673
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The awesome thing about the timing of your post @Suter1972 is the forum is currently outraged about some Crown purchase lottery boxes for in game content that it might be P2W, I'm surprised they haven't jumped on this thread fast ;)

Sadly no. But just take comfort that over time, you will have the gold to do all you need. As per others comments things you can do - Daily Writs (at top tier you earn 4000 gold a day) steal things and sell / fence them, join trading guilds and buy cheap / sell high or sell items you find, rare things, set items. Pick one craft and unlock it all and sell the Gold things. I.e. I did enchanting first, and sold Kutas for 15k a piece. Then used that money to trade items, buy cheap, split up bulk buys and sell high, etc and over a few months made some.good money to buy all that I need.

Upgrading your mount you can do with Crowns. That saves you buying bank and bag upgraded so that's a good idea. Capacity is king.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP