The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Campaign Resets

camknox
camknox
✭✭✭
I have heard a lot of people discussing this and it sure does feel a lot like something that needs to be seriously looked at. Hear me out before you rip my throat out.

Currently all of the PVP campaigns run for a set period of time. Scoring, based on who owns what keeps and resources starts from the moment the campaign starts and ends when the timer ends. If a single alliance already owns the campaign as it ends then they lead into the new campaign.

The 7 day (Haderus) campaign has it's timer start and stop during the maintenance downtime (pretty sure) so force resetting all keeps, villages, resources etc. would not affect anyone as they are all offline anyway. At least then everyone comes back to a "NEW" war each week. Instead of one-sided holdouts.

How to go about it

1. At the conclusion of the campaign timer Cyrodiil does a hard reset. Wherever you are, whatever you are doing you are force moved back to your Home. Heck kick everyone from Cyrodiil and return them to PVE to re-port back again.

2. Keeps, resources and villages are reset to native ownership. All "claimed" resources are blanked. Clean slate.

3. Any scrolls not in their right places are returned.

4. Imperial City districts can go either way. They could be part of the reset or be exempt since technically they are nothing to do with the "war" raging above.

This isn't lore breaking since the concept of a "war" that rages back and forth but has an 'arbitrary' timer for rewards is the odd part. Make each timer an actual race to the winning line. Instead of the current system where the alliance with more people kicks sand in everyone's eyes and laughs from the winning podium continually.
  • laksikus
    laksikus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so you basically want, that once an alliance is up front with enough points to win the camp, that all other just quit and wait till camp resets, instead of trying to get their stuff back?

no thanks
  • pod88kk
    pod88kk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I agree with the OP not that other negative nelly
  • laksikus
    laksikus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so tell me, what happens in a 30d campaign. if reds are 10k points up front and still 10 days to go?
    harsh example, but could happen.

all dc and ad would leave for 10days basically abondoning the campaign to wait for the reset, so it will kill that camp for 10 whole days.
  • camknox
    camknox
    ✭✭✭
    laksikus wrote: »
    so tell me, what happens in a 30d campaign. if reds are 10k points up front and still 10 days to go?

all dc and ad would leave for 10days basically abondoning the campaign to wait for the reset, so it will kill that camp for 10 whole days.

As opposed to what? Staying and fighting with no purpose anyway? When one side is that far out in front it makes absolutely no difference either way. 9 times out of 10 the opposing factions just give up and set up some kind of AP farm at a resource. The factions just need to try harder the next reset to not let the opposition get such a big lead; as in the entire concept of actually fighting to hold your stuff.

What happens now in your example is that EP has a 10,000 point lead with 10 days to go. DC and AD are fighting but let's say their numbers are low and EP have day/night coverage. EP hold the map until the reset, winning the campaign. They don't let off and because the map has not reset they continue to hold the map for another 10 days into the next campaign. At this time they've cemented a 1/3rd lead on the campaign over the opposing factions. One sided battle. DC and AD have by now gotten the *** and campaign swapped away, most never to return.

This has already happened. Some time back on NA. A mass exodus of DC and EP players fleeing the constant barrage of AD holding the map for consecutive campaign "times" led to the complete yellow-washing of a campaign for months. The occasions when a hold-out of DC would re-take some of the map, sometimes the whole thing, would be great however AD would turn up almost as soon as the hold-outs logged off and re-take it immediately. It took a lot of server promotions and coordinated efforts of guild leaders to get a balance restored. As it is now Haderus rarely stays blue for long before EP or AD gate cap the map. DC can still win occasionally but it takes a lot of effort and an Emperor that stays logged on near permanently.

Campaign resets would level the playing field. Every time. End of story. No more one-sided campaigns.
  • Dysturbedfan
    Dysturbedfan
    ✭✭
    camknox wrote: »

As opposed to what? Staying and fighting with no purpose anyway? When one side is that far out in front it makes absolutely no difference either way. 9 times out of 10 the opposing factions just give up and set up some kind of AP farm at a resource. The factions just need to try harder the next reset to not let the opposition get such a big lead; as in the entire concept of actually fighting to hold your stuff.

What happens now in your example is that EP has a 10,000 point lead with 10 days to go. DC and AD are fighting but let's say their numbers are low and EP have day/night coverage. EP hold the map until the reset, winning the campaign. They don't let off and because the map has not reset they continue to hold the map for another 10 days into the next campaign. At this time they've cemented a 1/3rd lead on the campaign over the opposing factions. One sided battle. DC and AD have by now gotten the *** and campaign swapped away, most never to return.

This has already happened. Some time back on NA. A mass exodus of DC and EP players fleeing the constant barrage of AD holding the map for consecutive campaign "times" led to the complete yellow-washing of a campaign for months. The occasions when a hold-out of DC would re-take some of the map, sometimes the whole thing, would be great however AD would turn up almost as soon as the hold-outs logged off and re-take it immediately. It took a lot of server promotions and coordinated efforts of guild leaders to get a balance restored. As it is now Haderus rarely stays blue for long before EP or AD gate cap the map. DC can still win occasionally but it takes a lot of effort and an Emperor that stays logged on near permanently.

Campaign resets would level the playing field. Every time. End of story. No more one-sided campaigns.

So if a faction has good players that win the campaign my tactics and such and puts them ahead by a lot, they should be punished ? Lol any one can win if they push at the beginning. Campaigns are meant to be one sided , hence a war.
    Blam blam Dysturbedfan -vet magblade
    Kakakakakarmaelectra- Kyne gankblade
    Attack me Zerg- Kyne healthblade tank
    Quintario- craftblade pve land
    CookiecutterMagplar- vet/dungeon healer
    Wind Rasengan-Kyne stam sorc
    Sinbad the Just Bad- kyne stamdk
    Stay awhile and listen.

• camknox
    camknox
    ✭✭✭
    So if a faction has good players that win the campaign my tactics and such and puts them ahead by a lot, they should be punished ? Lol any one can win if they push at the beginning. Campaigns are meant to be one sided , hence a war.

No they don't get "punished" they win the campaign. They get their reward. If they're that good then they can do it all again on the now reset campaign.

Wars also don't have arbitrary timers that dictate who will win. This is not war, not even in the slightest. This is an overly exaggerated RTS map. I control this area, then the map and now I win. This is Command and Conquer in 3D with swords and horses. This is every other RTS there is. You win, you exit and you start a new game. Only in ESO you win, you stay winning, you keep winning, hey look I'm winning everyone look at me... Guys? Where did you all go? I swear there were other alliances here...
  • Dysturbedfan
    Dysturbedfan
    ✭✭
    camknox wrote: »

No they don't get "punished" they win the campaign. They get their reward. If they're that good then they can do it all again on the now reset campaign.

Wars also don't have arbitrary timers that dictate who will win. This is not war, not even in the slightest. This is an overly exaggerated RTS map. I control this area, then the map and now I win. This is Command and Conquer in 3D with swords and horses. This is every other RTS there is. You win, you exit and you start a new game. Only in ESO you win, you stay winning, you keep winning, hey look I'm winning everyone look at me... Guys? Where did you all go? I swear there were other alliances here...

Oh i see now, I didn't see what you were getting at, yeah that I agree with , after a win the map should reset. Not so sure about the command and conquer part but after a win it should reset so the campaign can be more random. Makes for better fights
    Blam blam Dysturbedfan -vet magblade
    Kakakakakarmaelectra- Kyne gankblade
    Attack me Zerg- Kyne healthblade tank
    Quintario- craftblade pve land
    CookiecutterMagplar- vet/dungeon healer
    Wind Rasengan-Kyne stam sorc
    Sinbad the Just Bad- kyne stamdk
    Stay awhile and listen.

• Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so you basically want, that once an alliance is up front with enough points to win the camp, that all other just quit and wait till camp resets, instead of trying to get their stuff back?

no thanks

Nothing is stopping the losing side from going to a campaign where their side is doing better or has a better chance. Having a reset timer will not change that.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @camknox I am SO with you. I thought this is how it worked when I first started PvP, it confused the heck out of me, and I've always wanted this, BUT @laksikus makes a very valid point I had never considered, alot of people play to win only and could think, what's the point and wait for the switch

On the plus side that day 1 charge for the keeps would be EPICCCCCCCCCCCCC
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • laksikus
    laksikus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Ackwalan
    I will start to carebear you now.
    Cos campaign hopping people like you are exactly Why campaigns are one sided.
    People start to leave once it goes Bad for abit. Without fighting back they hop to a better Camp.
    Whats Wrong with trying to back cap things before the campaign is over so you get an equal start?
    Dont be a lazy coward and start doing things
  • raviour
    raviour
    ✭✭✭✭
    i agree with laksikus. u see it in trueflame all bananas go there coz they can't be bothered to fight against the odds in other campaigns, all reds in azura coz they wanna win with the big guilds, dc training guilds owning ebony blade coz trueflame is hard to train noobs in, blackwater enemies rerolling to smurfs coz we r succesful. a good player wants a challenge why u see zerg squad in azura. it's a mentality thing like i supported my local team queens park rangers while half the people in my area supported manchester united, it's called 'glory hunting' and it's not good for sport.
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Ackwalan
    I will start to carebear you now.
    Cos campaign hopping people like you are exactly Why campaigns are one sided.
    People start to leave once it goes Bad for abit. Without fighting back they hop to a better Camp.
    Whats Wrong with trying to back cap things before the campaign is over so you get an equal start?
    Dont be a lazy coward and start doing things

You are one of those toxic people that if you don't get your way, you will do your best to ruin everything. Go ahead and be a carebear all you want.