The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Thief or shadow mundus stone for VMA stam dk?

Wrecking_Blow_Spam
Wrecking_Blow_Spam
✭✭✭✭✭
New to arena, 1st attempt on dk. My crit without thief is 50% ish, should I run thief for high crit chance or shadow for more crit damage?

Xbox one EU
8 Flawless conquerors on all class specs (4 stam, 4 magicka)
Doesn't stand in red
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shadow is better since you are already at 50% crit.
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    susmitds wrote: »
    Shadow is better since you are already at 50% crit.

I second this in case your still unsure @Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say shadow as well.
  • Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cheers for the answers but ended up going serpent. I really needed that sustain, It helped a ton.
    Xbox one EU
    Doesn't stand in red
  • Amdar_Godkiller
    Amdar_Godkiller
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haha. Serpent was by far the best answer! Solo Trials are not as influenced by crit because nobody is blasting warhorn and other buffs on you. thnk PVP Stam DK DPS, not PVE for VMA.

• Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Haha. Serpent was by far the best answer! Solo Trials are not as influenced by crit because nobody is blasting warhorn and other buffs on you. thnk PVP Stam DK DPS, not PVE for VMA.

Serpent < Shadow for pvp on a stam dk tho...
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ya, noo. Think PVE. vMA is PVE content best beaten by using PVE DPS and mechanics.
    Cheers for the answers but ended up going serpent. I really needed that sustain, It helped a ton.
    My Stamblade runs vMA with ~1100 Stamina recovery. Try Shadow, the DPS will indirectly help with sustain.
  • Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I said I needed the sustain. I tried both but serpent helped more. When I get better gear and more familiar with spawns I'll drop the serpent.
    Xbox one EU
    Doesn't stand in red
  • Amdar_Godkiller
    Amdar_Godkiller
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »

Shadow is weakest on a DK. We have no class bonuses to crit chance or crit damage. Without a set trait that procs resources like Engine Guardian or VO, you need increased sustain, especially with the increases to stamina cost of late.
  • Amdar_Godkiller
    Amdar_Godkiller
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ya, noo. Think PVE. vMA is PVE content best beaten by using PVE DPS and mechanics.
    My Stamblade runs vMA with ~1100 Stamina recovery. Try Shadow, the DPS will indirectly help with sustain.

Stamblades have much higher crit bonuses though. You'ld be a fool to not enhance those with the shadow. DK has less crit and less recovery than any class—especially Nightblade, but more weapon damage, stronger single target attacks, and a bit more spell resistance.
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Shadow is only better than Thief if you can get more than 70% critical chance without the Thief (aka pretty much never).
    50% critical chance is very low in PvE. You need as much as you can get. Even without Warhorns Thief out performs Shadow in pretty much any scenario.
    I'm guessing you're not wearing VO if you're having sustain issues in vMA?
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shadow is only better than Thief if you can get more than 70% critical chance without the Thief (aka pretty much never).
    50% critical chance is very low in PvE. You need as much as you can get. Even without Warhorns Thief out performs Shadow in pretty much any scenario.
    I'm guessing you're not wearing VO if you're having sustain issues in vMA?

This, all the way. 50% crit chance is very low for pve content, and while there are some underlying similarities (in terms of playstyle) between small-scale pvp and vMA, it's still pve content. Superior crit chance trumps crit damage (at least when it comes to assembling the build) in almost every case in pve. I would speak to the contrary if this were for small-scale pvp, but it's not. The majority of vMA is mechanic-based and highly scripted, so your burst damage should stem from more conventional means, i.e. crit chance. One obvious exception to this "general rule" is when TBS is used, in which case both Thief and Shadow are used.

As for sustain, my best recommendation to you is to use Vicious Ophidian, as suggested in the quote above. It is a night and day difference. Couple this with Bloodthirst (Flurry) and Blood Craze (Twin Slashes), and there is little else to do but learn kill priorities and boss mechanics, aside from maintaining buffs, of course.
    Edited by Autolycus on October 14, 2016 4:47PM
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »

Shadow is weakest on a DK. We have no class bonuses to crit chance or crit damage. Without a set trait that procs resources like Engine Guardian or VO, you need increased sustain, especially with the increases to stamina cost of late.

If you can't sustain on a stam DK you're doing it wrong. What stam DK(without proc based sets) lacks most is burst and that's made easily avaiable through shadow stone and allows you to have sustain and burst, although thief is certainly superior for heavy armor.
  • Kyye
    Kyye
    ✭✭✭
    Ran with warrior fine. Does shadow out burst warrior? In 5 med 2 hev, dreugh and hundings 5 pce (might run nm > hr)
    XBL GT: CWB Hempire
    Bright moons guide your steps.