Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Flurry of Questions from New Player

Sunnata
Sunnata
Soul Shriven
Long time MMO player (10+ yrs in EQ2/5 yrs in Eve) with a few questions. I appreciate any help.

1. Is there a way to practice combat? Like a combat dummy or training arena?

2. Other than following the Achievements for Exploration is there any help in focusing on Exploration? Like a questline or specific NPCS etc.

3. Is there a way to view an item's stats prior to stealing it?

4. Will I ever be able to get a mount via questing/adventuring or must it be purchased via the crown store?

5. As a new player I'm just my best judgement as to how to spend my skill points. Can I respec later?

6. What's a good source to follow the game's lore? I completed the intial prophet quest (entered his mind and watched the five companions due their thing) but I will probably want to revisit that part of the lore. I guess I'm looking for some chronological lore resource where I can read as I go.

Many thanks for any assistance.
  • lolo_01b16_ESO
    lolo_01b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    1. No
    2. Isn't exploration about running around without any strict guide lines^^? A small help could be that if a point of interesst is black on your map, there is still something to do there. (But if they are white it doesn't always mean there is nothing left to do.
    3. For pick pocketing no, otherwise you can just hover over them with your mouse.
    4. There are 4 different mounts you can buy ingame for 10k / 42k gold.
    5. Yes, in the 3 main cities (Wayrest, Mournhold, Elden Root) there are Shrines to respec Attribute and Skill points for a small fee.
  • Shardaxx
    Shardaxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. No but the starter zones are pretty much practice zones.
    2. Not really but if you collect all the sky shards and do all the quests you will go everywhere in a zone.
    3. Only when stealing from a container, not from picking pockets.
    4. Yes you can buy a horse from the stables for gold.
    5. Yes, there are respect shrines for attributes and skills in your alliance capital.
    6. Not in game but google for background tamriel lore.
    PS4 - Europe - Shardaxx - Wood Elf Nightblade - Aldmeri Dominion
  • Elephant42
    Elephant42
    ✭✭✭✭
    Others have answered 1-5 quite thoroughly but regarding 6, there is no chronological source of lore that I'm aware of in-game. However, there is a wealth of lore to be found in the myriad books scattered all over Tamriel and ...
    when you reach the end of the Mages Guild quest line you get a reward that lets you re-read any book/note/scroll you have ever read on that character at any time.
  • Draqone
    Draqone
    ✭✭✭✭
    Addons (if you are PC) really help with exploration.
    ESO Balance:
    “All skills are equal, but some skills are more equal than others.”
  • Sunnata
    Sunnata
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for the reply. B)
  • Claire
    Claire
    ✭✭✭
    1. As soon as you hit level 10, go straight out to Cyrodiil...you'll *BE* the combat dummy! ;)