Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Tanking - Mag or Stam?

Travy_2Hype
Travy_2Hype
✭✭✭
As of lately I've been rethinking my Tank and looking to get other's feedback.

I currently have an Orc Dragonknight and keep teetering between Magicka or Stamina build.
I currently run Magicka and do great in Solo PvE as well as running Vet Dungeons.
I'm looking to start getting more into Trials and I'm not sure what build would be best for doing so.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Don't necessarily need an entire guide on the builds. Just need to know which is better of the two and why.
X-Box: EU

Orc Stamina DragonKnight - Tank
Altmer Magicka Templar - DPS
Redguard Stamina Sorcerer - DPS
  • Legoless
    Legoless
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stam, you need to be able to maintain block and taunt.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Either works fine, but Orc lends itself more to stamina. But I used to run my orc as a magicka tank and she had no problems, so if you prefer magicka, stick with it.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love my saptank

I have 34k magica, 32k health and 20k stam.

Tanking is about how well you can create stamina. I can tank every dungeon without a shards or repentance with 20k stam.

Magica is a lot more fun.
  • raaphor
    raaphor
    ✭✭✭
    I'm running a DK tank too and recently moved from magicka to stamina, I'm not min/maxing though with 3 stat glyphs on my armor. With 25k stamina it's enough to block, taunt and debuff trial bosses, ~18k magicka for self/group support and ranged taunt and 31k health to avoid being one-shot when not blocking.

before I moved points from magicka into stamina it was easier to support the group with chains and talons but long fights are way easier now with the larger stamina pool.

Since my primary role is holding aggro from the biggest threats it is convenient to be self supporting, no need for the healer to run repentence or shards for me (although I would grab them when I'm able too). With healers throwing orbs or using elemental drain I can use the extra magicka to provide crowd control but that is not my primary goal.
    EU/PC - 9 max level characters (DC)
    NA/PC - 2 characters (AD)