Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Hireling Statistics Over 5 Months (+270 Mails)

Reorx_Holybeard
Reorx_Holybeard
✭✭✭✭✭
I've been wanting to compile the chance of obtaining materials through the hireling mails for a while now and managed to find some time this week to do so:

Hireling Statistics -- Google Docs Link

The statistics were collected with my uespLog add-on and compiled/sorted with a custom Python script. I choose a period of 155 days (7 March - 9 August) which comprised roughly 270 mails each from Blacksmithing, Clothing, Enchanting, Woodworking hirelings and 469 mails from the Provisioning hireling (total of 1543 hireling mails) . Most mails are with characters having maxed crafting and hireling passives although one character has 9/10 crafting passives to get writs in Craglorn and there are a few mails with lower crafting/hireling levels mixed in.

A few observations and notes.
  • A total of 25 gold temper materials were received (6 Tempers, 8 Wax, 11 Rosin) during this period. This works out to around 1 gold temper per 32 mails (16 days).
  • When taking into account the raw materials received this would contribute about 3-4 more temper materials/trade from refining during the entire period (overall total of 35 tempers, 1 temper every 23 mails).
  • A total of 11 Reporas, 17 Itades, and 9 Kutas were obtained. This works out to a Kuta every 30 mails (15 days).
  • In order to craft a full set of Gold CP160 from only hireling materials from one character it would take around 1.5 years (mainly due to gold tempers).
  • Clothing materials are split in half compared to Blacksmithing/Woodworking: roughly 50% Medium and 50% Light.

If you'd like me to get some specific statistic not included here just let me know.

Edited by Reorx_Holybeard on August 10, 2016 3:43PM
Reorx Holybeard -- NA/PC
Founder/Admin of www.uesp.net -- UESP ESO Guilds
Creator of the "Best" ESO Build Editor
I'm on a quest to build the world's toughest USB drive!
  • Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    155 days, "most characers" getting mail twice per day, around 270 mails each for Blacksmithing, Clothing, Woodworking... but how many characters and actual mails for say Blacksmithing does this translate to?

If I were to assume 8 characters (270*8=2160 blacksmith mails) the chances of getting a gold blacksmith temper for example is only 0.28% with the hireling at max points (6/2160 mails). But if you're not working with 8 characters and got 6 tempering alloy then the chances would change dramatically.
    Is Uncle John's band calling you? Do you daydream about Sugar Magnolias? Is your favorite sunflower a China Cat? Tired of Truckin' alone to Terrapin Station? If so, share some Space with other hippies & deadheads in the guild Sunshine Daydream! Send a message in game (PC-NA) to Kaibeth for your invitation.
  • Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, 155 days divided by 25 gold improvement materials received, works out to one about every 6.2 days, not 16 days -- but, again, by relying on how many characters to get that yield?
    Is Uncle John's band calling you? Do you daydream about Sugar Magnolias? Is your favorite sunflower a China Cat? Tired of Truckin' alone to Terrapin Station? If so, share some Space with other hippies & deadheads in the guild Sunshine Daydream! Send a message in game (PC-NA) to Kaibeth for your invitation.
  • Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I choose a period of 155 days (7 March - 9 August) which comprised roughly 270 mails each from Blacksmithing, Clothing, Enchanting, Woodworking hirelings... Most mails are with characters having maxed crafting and hireling passives although one character has 9/10 crafting passives to get writs in Craglorn and there are a few mails with lower crafting/hireling levels mixed in.

[*] A total of 11 Reporas, 17 Itades, and 9 Kutas were obtained. This works out to a Kuta every 30 mails (15 days).

Umm, 270 mails for enchanting for each character over the course of 155 days sounds about right if "most characters get mail twice per day" but 9 Kutas out of that would only be "a Kuta every 30 mails" if only ONE character is getting enchanting mails. If you're using 8 characters to get those 9 Kutas, that would actually be 9/2160 not 9/270 -- making it far from one out of 30 mails.

Edited by Tevalaur on August 10, 2016 4:58PM
  • Reorx_Holybeard
    Reorx_Holybeard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tevalaur wrote: »
    I choose a period of 155 days (7 March - 9 August) which comprised roughly 270 mails each from Blacksmithing, Clothing, Enchanting, Woodworking hirelings... Most mails are with characters having maxed crafting and hireling passives although one character has 9/10 crafting passives to get writs in Craglorn and there are a few mails with lower crafting/hireling levels mixed in.

[*] A total of 11 Reporas, 17 Itades, and 9 Kutas were obtained. This works out to a Kuta every 30 mails (15 days).

Umm, 270 mails for enchanting for each character over the course of 155 days sounds about right if "most characters get mail twice per day" but 9 Kutas out of that would only be "a Kuta every 30 mails" if only ONE character is getting enchanting mails. If you're using 8 characters to get those 9 Kutas, that would actually be 9/2160 not 9/270 -- making it far from one out of 30 mails.

When I say "270 mails" I mean 270 actual mails across all characters. I leveled up 2-3 characters during this time so at the start only 1 character was receiving Enchanting mails while at the end all 4 were. I also wasn't playing 100% of the time to get every possible mail. I'm guessing over the 155 days played there were a potential of 800 mails for Clothing/Blacksmithing/Enchanting so I only was actually able to get 34% of them (I was travelling at least 1 month during this time and some of the of the time I can't get the 2 mails per day due to play times).

The chances I stated are for a single character with maxed out crafting/hireling levels. Just multiple it by the number of characters to get the approximate chance overall.
    Reorx Holybeard -- NA/PC
  • Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After looking at the link... how can you have most characters have the hireling skill maxxed (so each character gets 2 mails per day in each craft on most days) and only get a grand combined total of 268 Blacksmith deliveries over 155 days? (edit: answered as I asked)

Your sample size appears to actually be very small despite saying it's over 155 days... Will you be continuing this project? The data is interesting although the sample size is currently unexpectedly small.
    Edited by Tevalaur on August 10, 2016 5:34PM
  • Reorx_Holybeard
    Reorx_Holybeard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tevalaur wrote: »
    Also, 155 days divided by 25 gold improvement materials received, works out to one about every 6.2 days, not 16 days -- but, again, by relying on how many characters to get that yield?

I may have not calculated this correctly or I may have just chosen a strange way to state it:
    • 6 Tempers in 268 mails
    • 8 Wax in 270 mails
    • 11 Rosin in 267 mails
    • Total: 25 gold tempers in 805 mails

So the average is around 1 gold temper/32 mails received. If I have one character with maxed Blacksmithing crafting/hireling passives I get 2 mails/day so that averages around 16 days to get one Tempering Alloy. If that one character now has all 3 smithing passives maxed then I'm getting a gold temper every 5 days on average. 12 characters with all maxed passives would get 2.2 gold tempers/day on average.

Reorx Holybeard -- NA/PC
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's why you have 8 characters with all crafts maxed and hirelings at 3/3.

That's 8 x 5 x 2 = 80 mails per day

155 days x 80 mails = 12,400 mails

That should improve your numbers a bit. I sell stacks of 200x overflow mats for 1000g each on a daily basis.
    biggrin.gif
  • Reorx_Holybeard
    Reorx_Holybeard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    That's why you have 8 characters with all crafts maxed and hirelings at 3/3.

That's 8 x 5 x 2 = 80 mails per day

155 days x 80 mails = 12,400 mails

That should improve your numbers a bit. I sell stacks of 200x overflow mats for 1000g each on a daily basis.
    biggrin.gif

Yup, definitely! I have 4 characters maxed now so if I can log in everyday and get the 2 mails most of the time that is a potential of 6,200 mails in 155 days compared to the 1500 in this set. I've also expanded the logging a bit so I can better keep track of which mail comes from which character and their crafting/hireling levels (assuming you loot the mails on the relevant character).
    Reorx Holybeard -- NA/PC
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    One thing that stands out, and I've noticed since the beginning of the game, is the disparity between the clothing and blacksmithing improvement mats (superior and epic). For example, receiving 37.3% Dwarven Oil vs. 84.4% Embroidery, and 29.9% Grain Solvent vs. 52.6% Elegant Linings. The gold drops between the two are not so far apart, but it's clear that the Blacksmith hirelings need to get off their arse and get to work :)
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I checked my notes.

Last February i followed mails from two accounts cumulating 150 chars*days = about 450 gear hireling mails. I am calculating only one mail per day because i din't track received mail counts - only drops. I made no effort to receive two mails per day but occasionally got both. I got 16 goldens (2 Temperin Alloys, 5 Dreugh Wax, 5 Rosin, 4 Kuta).

After the latest patch i started to follow writ material gain/consumption. There i have gathered now 48 chars*days = 144 gear mails. . This time i have received 3 goldens (1 Temperin Alloys, 2 Dreugh Wax). This ongoing tracking is still too short. I am going to track at least ten days.

I think these are close enough to OP numbers. Hirelings are no good source of golden improvements. But i need to spend only one minute per day to hireling mails. Every drop is essentially free.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone