Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Potency runes looting

Moushna
Moushna
Soul Shriven
Hi all.

First post here, i am actually quite annoyed by the last update concerning the potency runes loot.

I actually didn't get it at first. I had stopped playing for a while and came back to the game not too long ago. Yesterday, since my main character was getting close to cp 70, i crafted an new armor and weapons and went to search for some missing potency runes. But try as I may, i could only find some lvl 4 and 7 potency runes wherever i was searching. Very frustrated, it took me a while to find in the many update notes what was the reason for that: my character not being yet cp 70, half of the looted runes where lvl 7 (up to cp 60) and the other half was lvl 4 which is my enchanting skill lvl. And basically, i realized that there was just no way for me to farm what i was searching for.

So OK, i get that you can buy them from vendors, which doesn't thrills me that much but, why making the looting of them so damn dysfunctional and, worse as i am concerned, so different from the other materials? you can go get yourself some cloth, metal, water and fur if you need, at any lvl you can get the stuff to cook for any lvl, but enchanting is now different? why?

The fact that you had to go to the zone with the mobs level corresponding the the level of the gear you intended to make always sounded logical to me, there was this idea that you could actually risk yourself in a zone that was far above your level if you intended to do something in advance or for someone else which was quite thrilling, having to avoid monsters because fighting them was out of the question, and there was the kind of nostalgic feeling of going back to low level places if you wanted to craft some low level stuff.
Nothing like that now, you can actually loot some lvl 10 potency runes even if you go back to kenarthi as an aldmeri. Not only is it weird and different from the other crafting skills but it makes it impossible some times to go farming for stuff in advance since the potency runes will be looted only if you have the correct lvl or enchanting skill for that, and very often impossible to go farming for someone else, be it your guild mates, your friends or even another of your characters. Basically, except if i manage with all my character be it by their actual lvl or by their enchanting skill points in potency runes to cover the 10 different lvl of existing runes, there are some that i can just never loot, does that sound logical for someone whose main trade and pleasure inthis game is crafting for others?

Wasn't there something about being able to craft everything without having to buy anything when the game was released? That is no longer true.

Well, to make a long story short, i really don't like the new mechanics of the potency runes loot. Am i the only one, that's what i am wondering about.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, it's not you.

The potency rune issue was one of the largest debated topics in PTS during testing of the Dark Brotherhood ... 14 forum pages in fact.

I've attached the thread below.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/261845/official-feedback-thread-for-enchanting/p1

Still a curious decision by ZOS. The change was intended to get more players into the enchanting profession (since statistically it is the least used crafting profession). However, there were some easier ways to do that (such as increasing inspiration gains for glyph decon or writ completions). Changing how nodes dropped potency runes was (still is) an odd solution.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on August 10, 2016 9:50PM
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm actually liking the change. I wasn't sure i would but now i do.

Also, if you have some gold to spare, enchanting can be leveled very quickly.
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/3084972#Comment_3084956
    :smile:
    Edited by SirAndy on August 10, 2016 9:59PM
  • Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No, it's not you.

The potency rune issue was one of the largest debated topics in PTS during testing of the Dark Brotherhood ... 14 forum pages in fact.

I've attached the thread below.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/261845/official-feedback-thread-for-enchanting/p1

Still a curious decision by ZOS. The change was intended to get more players into the enchanting profession (since statistically it is the least used crafting profession). However, there were some easier ways to do that (such as increasing inspiration gains for glyph decon or writ completions). Changing how nodes dropped potency runes was (still is) an odd solution.

LOL - I'm also confused by the decision that they made to increase the amount of people crafting the Enchanting line.

People don't do it because it is truly PAINFUL to advance this line. It's slow compared to the rest in terms of time needed by an exponential amount.

Provisioning and Alchemy are a breeze. You can just grind it out in a short period of time if you have the mats.

Blacksmith, Clothing, and Woodworking. If you research everything you can and decon rest, these max before you know it. The research lags the levels a bit, but it gets there without much effort.

Enchanting on the other hand is about as exciting and time consuming as getting the master angler achievement...

I have LVL 50 is all other professions on my crafter and all traits learned but a few Nirns - my Enchanting after 2 years is level 41.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I like the change and feel it serves the needs of the new progressions systems very well.

The old way, zone locked mats, made perfect sense when EVERY CHARACTER had a strict linear level scheme - 3-50 then vr1-vr16 - and a strict zone linear scale increase as well even in silver and gold.

That all went away for many players when the CP level went into place. A "lot" of characters on one day jumped well beyond cp60 beyond cp90 and so on. They skipped many of the interim levels and the need for mats scaled to all those inbetween. Similarly, except for a player's first character, maybe second, once you hit 50, there will be another JUMP of dozens or hundreds of cp as the account cp kick in.

the old days where every silver character walked into his first silver zone at basicaly vr1-3 and needed mats at vr 1-3 are gone. now there is NO certainty that a character will need cp10-30 at all or even cp40-60.

So, scaling the mats to "skill or character" level makes sense. having the level controls also purchasable for minimal cost (the lower ones are quite cheap) covers the oddball cases which can occur now and again where a character needs something that doesn't match his level or skill.

The zone locked mats levels" are an anachronism, no longer suited to the new progressions and really gonna be out of date by the time one tamriel hits. its just a waste of space to have entire zones assigned to mats of levels the majority of the characters running thru them wont need or cant use.

Cant wait until they expand that to cover all mats.
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the plus side, you can now just buy potency runes from the merchants in mages guild.