Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Acquiring Sets

JetLife2985
Hello,
Ive recently returned to the game and see that i am 108 cp stam nightblade. Provisioning is the only crafting i do, so i have not made any good armor. I was wondering how i would go about getting the training xp armor, if i have to level up crafting or not. I also was wondering how to get good sets for my character when i get a little higher level. Is it worth spending hours to level my crafting, or should i be doing something else?
Thank you!
  • Panth141
    Panth141
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To craft armour/weapons with the training trait you first have to research the trait on each piece of armour - i.e. You have to find a piece of armour with training on, set the trait to research and then you can craft with the trait. Putting points into crafting passives boosts research speed.

FWIW I think that the fighters guild has stocks of training gear.
    PS4 EU - Panth141 | CP 630+
    Dominion
    Almalexia's Fallen - Magicka Dragonknight - PvE Main
    Lost Hope of Sotha Sil - Magicka Dragonknight - PvP Main
    Claws-in-pockets - Stamina Nightblade - PvE/P DPS
    Nocturnal's Guise - Magicka Nightblade - PvE DPS
    Udun - Magicka Templar - PvP Healer
    Onsi's Shattered Blade - Stamina Sorcerer - Dungeon/vMA Farmer
    Stands-like-Mountains - Magicka Nightblade - PvE Saptank
    Auri-El's Forgotten Light - Magicka Sorcerer - PvP DPS

Covenant
    Tharkün - Magicka Sorcerer - PvE DPS
    Rahai-Anaa - Stamina Dragonknight - Provisioner (lol)

Pact
    Perolis - Magicka Sorcerer - Enchanter/Alchemist/BwB PvP

• JetLife2985
    Thank you! Is it worth spending hours on crafting to be able to make sets for me to use in actual competitive gameplay? Or would it be quicker for me to just farm gold and buy the stuff?
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hello,
    Ive recently returned to the game and see that i am 108 cp stam nightblade. Provisioning is the only crafting i do, so i have not made any good armor. I was wondering how i would go about getting the training xp armor, if i have to level up crafting or not. I also was wondering how to get good sets for my character when i get a little higher level. Is it worth spending hours to level my crafting, or should i be doing something else?
    Thank you!

I'm not sure how long you plan on playing the game, but I would definitely invest the time leveling up your crafting skills. It is much better crafting your own gear then trying to find a crafter when you need one.

Alternatively, you can also join guilds and one of the members could craft you gear. Or, look at guild stores to see if someone has items for sale with the training trait you are looking for.

The best option is to spend the time leveling your crafting.

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• Carokube
    Carokube
    ✭✭✭
    All above said, it should not be that hard to find someone to make you a full set of training gear for a reasonable price at your CP. Helps if you can join a guild where people regularly offer crafting services.

Whether you buy your end game gear or craft it is a different question... depending on the set you want, it could take you months to research all the traits you need to craft it. You could farm for the gold to buy stuff that is just as good in a much shorter amount of time while you're working on the research.
    Trade Guilds | Shatner's Trade Dominion | Blackbriar Barter Co | Black Dragon Apothecary | The Ska'vyn Bazaar
    PVE Guilds | The Shogunate
    The CaroCrew | Jesulon (DC) | Jilandara (DC) | Juniper Wind (AD) | Jostine (AD) | Jura (EP) | Jtala (EP) | Jysha (EP)
    CP600!!+ (and still not a vMA clear) | NA | PC
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you! Is it worth spending hours on crafting to be able to make sets for me to use in actual competitive gameplay? Or would it be quicker for me to just farm gold and buy the stuff?

You need the Training Trait on 8/10 items depending on how many weapons you use. Really, you only need it on 5 of them to get you going, but the more the better. It takes only 6 hours to learn the first trait, so you could be at 5 in 30 hours, call it two days as your not going to log in every 6 hours to que something up.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

If you know a crafter in-game that will make gear for you then farming will certainly be quicker vs the research time to be able to make sets like Twice-born Star. Crafting does play a big role in competitive end-game gearing though so if you plan on being around for awhile it is extremely useful to be able to make gear for yourself.

Leveling up alchemy for the passives is a good thing to do as well.
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • JetLife2985
    I want to get my character to a respectable cp level, so i was wondering if there was a place i could just buy crappy armor with the training trait? Im going to grind cracked wood cave and i think that would make it go much faster.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, a lot of end game drops come with the Training Trait, not sure how many of them are Bound, which means you can't buy them or trade them. But I have gotten CP160 gear with the Training trait that was not bound.

I would peruse the Guild Stores and you may be able to find some already with the trait. Or hang around a crafting station and ask if anyone can make the gear for you. If you do this, be able to offer the mats or the gold to cover the cost of the mats.

And, there are lots places in the game to grind that is not Cracked Wood Cave. Heck, in a Gold Instance of Public Dungeons, I can gain a Champ Point a lap on a new dungeon (never killed the bosses) and I am over 600 Champ Points, so that is like 780K Champ Exp per point. And, this is without Training on any of my gear.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• JetLife2985
    Thank you so much everyone for all of your advice!! I really do appreciate it :)
  • Pandorii
    Pandorii
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @JetLife2985 In the short run, it's probably more efficient to purchase your gear, as it could take around 2-3 months to get to the 5-6 trait benchmark, where you're able to craft some of the standard sets (Torugs, Night Mothers, Julianos, and Hundings).

My argument for why you should consider leveling up your crafts is because the cost is little and the rewards are high (in the long-run). At the beginning, you will likely come across researchable armor in your regular grind. You don't need to invest any skill points on crafting to be able to research traits. It might be more convenient though to unlock the passive that allows you to research more things at a time.