Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

georgi1986

georgi1986
georgi1986
Soul Shriven
I was curious how the clothier, woodworker, and blacksmith surveys work?

In particular (and this has happened to me twice now) do they always lead you to resource nodes? I was rewarded with a clothier survey for completing the writ (in wrothgar). I equipped the survey to my quick bar, then proceeded to the location on the map. When I got to the location there were no resources and my map had been used? Just wondering if the surveys always lead to nodes or if there's just a chance for a node? Was this a glitch? It's happened twice now and is a little frustrating given the amount of resources required to craft max level gear.
  • Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, the surveys are not from every writ, they appear just about enough to help you break even on mats for most writs.

As for the location, the most recent update of Lost Treasure appears to have moved Wrothgar surveys to a wrong location, try using the actual map's location or the prior version of Lost Treasure to find the materials.

Also, you don't need to equip the survey in any fashion, just make sure it is in your characters inventory when you reach the location. "Using" the survey from inventory should only give you a look at its map, not make it disappear -- the survey should only disappear when the first set of materials have been gathered, but I suppose that it's possible someone grabbed a furrier trap at the location and made your survey disappear as they can evidently be seen by others at the moment (bugged).
    Is Uncle John's band calling you? Do you daydream about Sugar Magnolias? Is your favorite sunflower a China Cat? Tired of Truckin' alone to Terrapin Station? If so, share some Space with other hippies & deadheads in the guild Sunshine Daydream! Send a message in game (PC-NA) to Kaibeth for your invitation.
  • AntMan100673
    AntMan100673
    ✭✭✭
    When you get within a certain distance of the survey map location the map gets used and disappears from your inventory. Now if you don't know the exact spot the survey map is taking you its easy to not find the nodes. If, while searching, you move too far away from the nodes they disappear and you're left with no map and no materials
    EU - EP - Dunmer - Dragonknight - Magicka DPS - CP160

GT: AntMan100673
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'd be logging a support ticket.

They survey map should stay in inventory until you harvest the first node - this was changed when DB came out I believe. I have always had nodes at every survey location. Not every writ handed in receives a survay map but every survey map should lead to nodes for you to harvest.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you get within a certain distance of the survey map location the map gets used and disappears from your inventory. Now if you don't know the exact spot the survey map is taking you its easy to not find the nodes. If, while searching, you move too far away from the nodes they disappear and you're left with no map and no materials

Survey maps only worked that way briefly while a bug was fixed. They are back to where they are supposed to remain in your inventory until the first node is harvested. Noting that the original poster is speaking of a clothing survey, I wonder if someone grabbed the furrier trap and so the map disintegrated... I'd suggest banking any clothing survey maps until that is fixed and the nodes are only visible to you again in case that is what went wrong here.
    Is Uncle John's band calling you? Do you daydream about Sugar Magnolias? Is your favorite sunflower a China Cat? Tired of Truckin' alone to Terrapin Station? If so, share some Space with other hippies & deadheads in the guild Sunshine Daydream! Send a message in game (PC-NA) to Kaibeth for your invitation.
  • Ja50nX
    Ja50nX
    ✭✭✭
    For a number of days last week I had 'missing' nodes for blacksmith 1 & 2, clothier 2 & the alchemy survey closest to Old Orsinium.
    The actual survey did not disappear from my inventory so I left the Wrothgar region & returned later. The nodes were always there when I went back.

It has not happened within the last 3 or 4 days though.
    PS4 EU
    Ebonheart Pact