Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

I feel weaker than others at my level?

StealthArcher
StealthArcher
Soul Shriven
Hello,

I recently made a new character, my first real serious one. I decided to grind it out on Sea Viper pirates on Auridon from 3-10.

I find the leveling slow, however during my time there I noticed I seemed a lot weaker. People were able to kill the pirates with a few hits while taking relatively little damage, whereas I took quite a few hits to down them and had trouble with groups of 2 or 3. However once I reached about level 5 and got some better armour I was taking the hits better, but I always found that other players, even ones only a level higher, were taking far less damage and killing the mobs faster.

Is this normal? I am playing a Bosmer Nightblade, maxing Stamina and dual wielding swords. I currently have Flurry, Killer's Blade, Teleport Strike, Shadow Cloak, and Vital Strike. I'm wondering if it's just the class that's weak earlier on, since I haven't seen another Nightblade grinding in that area yet. Thanks for any replies.
  • LrdRahvin
    LrdRahvin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you even CP?
  • Pandorii
    Pandorii
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like you're comparing yourself to players with champion points. CP is the end-game leveling currency. Once you hit max level (50), you start to accrue CP, which allow you to maximize certain stats: magicka recovery, magic damage, stamina recovery, physical damage. If they make a new character, they can carry over their CP. That's probably why they seem a lot stronger.

Set armor can make a world of difference as well. Being a crafter or knowing one can mean having level 10 crafted gear with set bonuses. If you were 5 pieces of a set, you can get the maximum stat boost. One single piece of a set doesn't give a bonus, usually.
  • StealthArcher
    StealthArcher
    Soul Shriven
    LrdRahvin wrote: »
    Do you even CP?

Champion Points?

No I haven't, I suppose that would help.

For a Stamina Nightblade, which ones are most useful? I want to make this character a PvP one after I'm done grinding.
  • StealthArcher
    StealthArcher
    Soul Shriven
    Pandorii wrote: »
    It sounds like you're comparing yourself to players with champion points. CP is the end-game leveling currency. Once you hit max level (50), you start to accrue CP, which allow you to maximize certain stats: magicka recovery, magic damage, stamina recovery, physical damage. If they make a new character, they can carry over their CP. That's probably why they seem a lot stronger.

Set armor can make a world of difference as well. Being a crafter or knowing one can mean having level 10 crafted gear with set bonuses. If you were 5 pieces of a set, you can get the maximum stat boost. One single piece of a set doesn't give a bonus, usually.

I am currently at level 6, I haven't reached 50.

So it's pretty normal for me to be a lot weaker than these other players? And CP isn't gained until level 50 is reached?

I guess I'll have to grind a lot more than.
  • Kraynic
    Kraynic
    ✭✭
    One thing to keep in mind: grinding only gives you skill points from level ups.

You should at least plan on doing the main quest chain for each zone and the main story quests, since some of those reward you with a skill point, and gather the skyshards in each zone. If you don't, you may find yourself with a shortage of skill points for skills/passives.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Power creep is real. Most new characters aren't new players, and their stats and gear benefit from their high ranking characters. It will become progressively harder for new players to break into the game.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Pandorii
    Pandorii
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Reverb I agree with you wholeheartedly.

@StealthArcher That's right. Unfortunately, you won't unlock CP until you reach level 50, but when you do, there will be a 'catch up mechanic' in place, which will give you a chance to earn CP at a faster rate until you get closer to the CP cap.

That said, you will have access to skill points and attribute points as you level up. Typically, stamina nightblades put their attribute points on stamina, but if you find yourself struggling to stay alive, you may want to add some to health.

That said, one of the first skills you will want to get is a self-heal. Off the top of my head, I recommend 'rally' (the morph of momentum) in the 2h skill line. It gives you a heal over time and major brutality, the best dps buff for stamina types.

It'll be a while before you reach that level, so you might want to start early.
  • TheUrbanWizard
    TheUrbanWizard
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why grind? "Grind" the story, it's easier.