Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Crafting skills worth it?

JohnnyQuantum
JohnnyQuantum
✭✭
In this, and every other MMO I've played, I have started out leveling the crafting skills, but soon end up giving up. I find the time, effort, cost, inventory/bank space just not worth it, especially as crafted items are no better than what you can get from just playing the game (questing, dungeons etc.).

• wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Many crafted items are better that what you can get from just playing the game.

Crafted potions, poisons, food, drinks and enchantments are vastly superior to those that drop anywhere in the game. Additionally, alchemy and provisioning have passive skills that make your potions and food actually work better. In my opinion alchemy and provisioning are good for everyone to get and as an added bonus those two are extremely easy to level up.

Enchanting can be quite a steep hill to climb but it is quite useful to be able to create your own enchantments.

Equipment crafting is a whole separate thing because of trait research and motifs. If you want to get good at equipment crafting you not only need to level the skills (not to hard if you deconstruct most of your drops) but you also need to research traits (will take months to get them all if you're attentive, years otherwise) and learn motifs (lots of grinding or lots of gold or lots of $$$). While there are many good dropped sets in the game, the RNG grind to get a complete set is pretty ridiculous and being able to craft your own sets to fill in the gaps or round out a build is invaluable IMO.
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • silvermistktralasub17_ESO
    If you go ESO+ membership, you don't have to worry about inventory space for your craft materials at all. Also, being someone who does multiple crafting writs on 12 characters, I can say I honestly make a decent amount of gold for use on other things merely by keeping ahead of my writs, especially alchemy, provisioning, and enchanting, all of which are reasonably cheap to do the writs on. Doing the physical crafts (clothing, woodworking and blacksmithing) is also very valuable in keeping you up to date with your gear. I have a friend who doesn't do any crafting of his own armor/weapons, and, as a result, really can't keep up with some of mine at about the same level. He doesn't have the choices that I have with what to wear, because you're lucky, a lot of times, to get even a piece that you can use out of quest rewards and random drops. I've gotten to where I usually now have one of my highest level characters make gear for my lower ones, and am almost always using very good gear for my level (the only one that falls behind is jewelry, because I can't craft it). Oh, and as a note, ESO+ membership is good for a couple of other things, like the dying of costumes. It's well worth it, as far as I can see, both for making sure that I don't need to constantly check inventory and bank space, and because I like the convenience of not having to worry buying dye sets for what I want.

Alassirana
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Totally worth it, unless you want to chase down other players to craft for you, plus spend a lot of gold buying crafted items. It saves me time and gold having one character who can feed whatever crafted items I want/need to outfit all my characters. If you PVP, using crafted potions and foods is a must.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • EleonoraCrendraven
    EleonoraCrendraven
    ✭✭✭
    My main character has all the crafting skills since you need just one to craft whatever you want and then use the items with your other characters.
    But all of my characters have the passive skills in alchemy and provisioning:
    alchemy: medicinal use (potion effects last 30% longer)
    provisioning: gourmand (adds duration to any eaten food)
    connoisseur (adds duration to any conumed drink)
    Very useful.