Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Item Set Improvement (via Tempers/Rosin/Wax)

Transairion
Transairion
✭✭✭✭✭
Probably a silly question, but you can improve armor/weapons via Tempers/Rosin/Wax to improve their stats and it's a per-piece process; what I was wondering was how do item sets with scaling stats/effects work with regards to improvement?

Say the Viper's Sting set:
(2 items) Adds 688 Weapon Critical

(3 items) Adds 967 Max Stamina

(4 items) Adds 688 Weapon Critical

(5 items) Your Melee Attacks deal 8311 Poison damage. This effect can occur once every 4 seconds.

The various item "levels" of the set provide different effects, so my silly question was to improve a set's effects do you have to improve the number of set items appropriately? For example to boost Viper's 5-set bonus, do I have to improve all 5 pieces to reach that point or does only a certain % of the set have to be improved to consider it all improved?

Assuming a full purple Viper's set, say I gold 2 items: my understanding is I'll have a gold value on the 2-item set bonus (Weapon Crit) and the 3-item and above bonuses will remain purple values: if I improve a 3rd set item, the Max Stamina bonus will become gold value and the 4 and 5-item set bonuses will still be purple and so on.

Is that a correct understanding, or are there shortcuts where you don't have to improve all set items but can get all set item bonuses maxed out?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, you have to increase all the items in the set to get an increase. Now, you will get some of the increase, as it will be an average of the different pieces, but that does not seem to work all that well. Your best results are to improve each item in the set to see the increases in the set bonuses. The averages, or increases are on all pieces. So, you can't get a better 2 Piece Bonus and then later on get a better 3 piece.

Note, if this is a dropped set item that also has an enchantment on it, most of the time, that enchantment will also improve if the underlying piece is improved, ie a Blue item with a Blue Enchantment gets a Purple level enchantment if you improve the item to Purple
    Edited by Nestor on August 3, 2016 3:59PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"