Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Max level writs now pointless/non-cost-effective - is this an oversight?

• helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have some preliminary stats after doing a week top tier writs, all six with 12 crafters. It sums up to 96 writ-days and 576 writs.

These numbers are the average to expect when one character does six writs:
    Net materials is -material consumption + 0.85*raw mats + 0.25* intrisic rewards*5
    Raw mats is what comes from survey maps plus harvesting nodes between maps and killing animals.
    0.85 is the average rate getting mats when refining raw mats. I.e. refining 100 raw mats give 85 mats.
    0.25 is because of four types of mats and 5 is average amount of mats from deconstructing one intrisic item.

Daily loss/gain:
    Rubedite: -14
    Rubedo: +3
    A. Silk: +3
    R. Ash: -13

Writs gave 1.6 survey maps on average. Without harvesting all gear writs are now material loss. With harvesting between maps, clothing is just-about sustainable while blacksmith and woodworking writs are heavy loss. I think clothing is now in sweet spot while blacksmithing and woodworking should be adjusted.

I suggest to ZOS to do slight balancing of writs. E.g. one of blacksmithing writs uses 59 mats for helm, 2 shoulders and 2 daggers. Reduce them all to one item please. Add two woods into each node in woodworking survey areas.

Edited by helediron on August 16, 2016 11:35AM
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • BergisMacBride
    BergisMacBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    helediron wrote: »
    I have some preliminary stats after doing a week top tier writs, all six with 12 crafters. It sums up to 96 writ-days and 576 writs.

Net materials is -material consumption + 0.85*raw mats + 0.25* intrisic rewards*5
    Raw mats is what comes from survey maps plus harvesting nodes between maps and killing animals.
    0.85 is the average rate getting mats when refining raw mats. I.e. refining 100 raw mats give 85 mats.
    0.25 is because of four types of mats and 5 is average amount of mats from deconstructing one intrisic item.

Daily loss/gain:

Writs gave 1.6 survey maps on average. Without harvesting all gear writs are now material loss. With harvesting between maps, clothing is just-about sustainable while blacksmith and woodworking writs are heavy loss. I think clothing is now in sweet spot while blacksmithing and woodworking should be adjusted.

I suggest to ZOS to do slight balancing of writs. E.g. one of blacksmithing writs uses 59 mats for helm, 2 shoulders and 2 daggers. Reduce them all to one item please. Add two woods into each node in woodworking survey areas.

Pretty much reflects what I saw from my first week of testing on my 5 maxed equipment crafting chars, although I lost abit more rubedite than you calculated and had a slight net loss of silk instead of a gain - as it stands now the only equipment writ I will do consistently will be the Clothworking one - the other two just cost too much material for the gains or tempers returned.

In addition to changing the one BS writ requirement, I would also suggest they slightly increase the yield on BS and WW survey nodes to match that of the Clothworking ones.

@ZOS_GinaBruno, could you please point this out to the Devs?
  • Truewavesound
    Truewavesound
    ✭✭✭

Daily loss/gain:

Pretty much reflects what I saw from my first week of testing on my 5 maxed equipment crafting chars, although I lost abit more rubedite than you calculated and had a slight net loss of silk instead of a gain - as it stands now the only equipment writ I will do consistently will be the Clothworking one - the other two just cost too much material for the gains or tempers returned.

In addition to changing the one BS writ requirement, I would also suggest they slightly increase the yield on BS and WW survey nodes to match that of the Clothworking ones.

I agree - across 7 writ characters I am seeing a loss over a few days on all 3 max level equipment writs (ESPECIALLY that ridiculous 5 piece BS one). As these are MAX CRAFTING LEVEL writs, no, they are NOT for levelling the crafting skill. Please ZOS, we need this reviewed. There needs to be some point in doing these writs, or why are they in game?
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Daily loss/gain:

I did today the writs without harvesting. Uh i picked few nodes - couldn't resist... All gear writs turned to material loss. I believe the difference comes from amount of farming. I decided to include some farming because it is then closer to what we really do. There is much RNG, so i presume there will be small differences between people and days. Nevertheless, the trend is clear. the current balance leads to that casual players can't do writs.

I do agree that both BS and WW survey area node drop rate should be increased to same level as clothing.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I noticed on a few surveys I had left over, that the clothing surveys drop way more than they used to, up to 22 I think I got on one survey node. If this is intended, and they keep the same Survey drop rate from Writs they had pre-update, all they need to do is make the Metal and Wood nodes have the same increased drop amount from harvest.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"