The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

[Sugestion] Take a page from WoW and Diablo 3 by...

Stealthbr
Stealthbr
✭✭✭
... facilitating respecing. Why is it that we as players need to travel to a major city and pay an exorbitant amount of gold in order to try out a different build? I can understand players arguing that such a penalty serves as a gold sink, but gold can be controlled in many other ways. Ever since playing Diablo 3, I have come to appreciate the ease of changing up my skills to try something new. Often times, the text description of an ability is not enough for me to properly gauge whether I want to unlock it or not. I need to use the ability and see how well it synergises with the rest of my build before accurately determining whether or not it's worth a slot. That, or I have to resort to some cookie-cutter build.

I, for instance, decided to try a morph on my Dragonknight that sounded good based on the text description, but unfortunately I soon found out it costs too much magicka, so it does not work well with my build. Instead of being able to try the other morph, I simply don't use the ability anymore since the respec costs are absurdly high.

Furthermore, many builds that excel in PvE simply do not work in PvP. Why punish players for wanting to switch things up by partaking in a different sphere of gameplay? WoW developers realized this and now, you can change your talents and spec whenever you're not in combat except inside instances, where it can only be done if the player uses a crafted consumable.

So please, ZOS, stop making it such a hassle for players to experiment. Give us more freedom and allow us to more easily change our builds!

• CherryCake
    CherryCake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont know I find it really easy to change skills to be honest...its only a wayshrine away and from what I know last time it was only 1 gold per skill, unless they changed that...
    I like sweetrolls and I cannot lie
  • Myerscod
    Myerscod
    ✭✭✭
    Agree, I see no reason why skills can't be reset 'on the fly' by single skill or reset morph only.
  • GreySix
    GreySix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play so sparsely that I'm often required to respec my characters when logging in again. :D
    Crotchety Old Man Guild

"Hey you, get off my lawn!"
  • Bonzodog01
    Bonzodog01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont know I find it really easy to change skills to be honest...its only a wayshrine away and from what I know last time it was only 1 gold per skill, unless they changed that...

Yeah, the 1 gold per skill thing was temporary for 2 weeks after the DB release. Its back to 100 gold per skill now.
    Xbox One - EU - EP/DC
    Trying and failing to hold the walls of his Templar house up since 2015
  • KingYogi415
    KingYogi415
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Its 1 gold on console
  • Shadesofkin
    Shadesofkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's only a lot of gold if you're poor. Most players can afford it and only the very new try out "builds" before they've hit at least CP160.
    @shadesofkin -NA Server.
    Tier 2 Player.
    MagDK Main forever (even in the bad times)
  • phermitgb
    phermitgb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    for Estelio - I think the 1-gold-per-skill cost was actually a very short time offer after the latest patch dropped - they reduced skill point costs significantly for a short period of time - think that was post Dark Brotherhood. IIRC, normal cost for a respec is 50 gold per skill point, which can be close to 30k for max/near-max sp characters

whether that's a LOT or not, is up to you to decide - but I'd say it's a significant amount of money for casual players

However, cost notwithstanding, I too generally agree that respeccing is, at least for me, at about the right place. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the instant versatility of specs for WOW and Diablo 3, but I also appreciate tow other aspects of playing a game and building a character; namely, commitment, and thorough experimentation.

My personal experience has been, that I connect better with my characters as I follow their growth and progress. My characters actually grow - they experiment with skills, test things out - find that some things work, some things don't, some work but feel so awkward that I prefer not to use them, and some things I choose to pass by because they *sound* awkward or inappropriate, and I only have so much to spread around. I, through my character, have to make choices about that character's *life* - and I like that.

to me, my character isn't just a set of statistics that I use to beat content or other people - they're a...surrogate person - a vicarious life experience - and I take some comfort in knowing that they have to make many of the same choices I kinda do over the course of their life.

and yet, I CAN still totally respec the character - I just can't do it often, or will-nilly. For me, the choice to respec is a significant one, like many of the other choices I have to make with limited resources - all of that lends me some...weight...to the experience of playing the character.

and, like I mentioned earlier - there's also commitment to the build. I find that it's far too easy to dislike something early on and give it a pass, instead of really testing it out. Lately, I've found myself, mostly for fun, leveling up skills I don't use - like a chump, I put them on my action bars and actually used them, rather than putting them on a switchable bar mod so that I could just pump them up during quest turn ins. And you know what, it was an interesting experience, using skills I don't generally like, HAVING to find the ways in which they *would* be useful, adapting my playstyle to account for skills I wouldn't normally use.

That's not to say that any of them dramatically changed my mind - but I still found it a valuable experience.

anyway, that's not to say you're *wrong* - just, an alternate perspective on the problem, perhaps
    "There is no correct resolution; It's a test of character."
    James T. Kirk
  • ComboBreaker88
    ComboBreaker88
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah that 1 gold per skill point is really breaking the bank....
  • Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I did the same thing on a morph.

The shrine lets you respec morphs only and it cost me 550 gold last night.

I wouldn't consider that very high at all.
  • itehache
    itehache
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have had to use that wayshrine a couple times while leveling due to my poor choices :lol: I cannot remember exactly how much I paid, but I could pay it, and I was playing for like, 2 weeks maybe? I do not think it is expensive either.
  • Garldeen
    Garldeen
    ✭✭✭✭
    If borrowing from other MMO games can we have the newish feature FFXIV added. An equipment optimiser (not sure on proper name) which tells you with one click if you are wearing the best gear you have in your inventory and makes suggestions about what you should swap. Is super handy for people like me who want to get on and have fun in the game without having to learn every single minor detail of builds etc. I have enough learning to do at work and uni, I don't need another text book to study :)
    Edited by Garldeen on July 31, 2016 7:50PM
  • acw37162
    acw37162
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is not joke while your at it allow players to choose how their armor and weapons look to.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Old farts like me remember MMO's where you could not respec at all, had to level a different character for a different spec, and the leveling took over a year.

Youth these days, pffft :)

Advantage: there were no FOTM's.
  • Bromburak
    Bromburak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stealthbr wrote: »
    Why is it that we as players need to travel to a major city and pay an exorbitant amount of gold in order to try out a different build?

Yeah, and why do players need to move a mouse to play, damn activities.

• ethanthefox
    ethanthefox
    ✭✭
    I have to disagree with you, its not that costly. Kind of a gold sink and theres must have a couple somewhere. The thing I wish for would be an easy and quick way to switch between gear/skill bars/mundus(?)/cp(?) for pvp and pve. Like you cant swap in cyrodiil, dungeons , vma , etc but can still swap easily in open world.
  • Marktoneth3
    Marktoneth3
    ✭✭✭
    If someone want to sink gold that much

why don't you sink gold in my pocket

I'd love to do that for you
  • stewhead2ub17_ESO
    stewhead2ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bromburak wrote: »
    Stealthbr wrote: »
    Why is it that we as players need to travel to a major city and pay an exorbitant amount of gold in order to try out a different build?

Yeah, and why do players need to move a mouse to play, damn activities.

lol :smiley:
  • snakester320
    snakester320
    ✭✭✭✭
    last time i checked it was 1 gold per skill point on ps4 ( stupid me being noob was buy respec scrolls for crowns ) ( yeah you got me ZOS good for you) but attibute points was like 3k gold which is steep for noobs trying to make gold and sort a character out!! NOT everyone is rich !!
  • nimander99
    nimander99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Wayshrines are sometimes several minute transfers... Which is super duper lame, but I understand you can just buy a respec scroll from the CS anywhere and reset your skills so you don't 'technically' have to wayshrine to respect.
    Edited by nimander99 on August 1, 2016 12:56AM
    I AM UPDATING MY PRIVACY POLICY

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

∽∽∽ 2 years of Elder Scrolls Online ∼∼∼
    "Give us money" = Box sales & monthly sub fees,
    "moar!" = £10 palomino horse,
    "MOAR!" = Switch to B2P, launch cash shop,
    "MOAR!!" = Charge for DLC that subs had already paid for,
    "MOAR!!!" = Experience scrolls and riding lessons,
    "MOARR!!!" = Vampire/werewolf bites,
    "MOAARRR!!!" = CS exclusive motifs,
    "MOOAARRR!!!" = Crown crates,
    "MOOOAAARRR!!!" = 'Chapter's' bought separately from ESO+,
    "MOOOOAAAARRRR!!!!" = ???

Male, Dunmer, VR16, Templar, Aldmeri Dominion, Master Crafter & all Traits, CP450
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they lowered the price of gave a certain amount free , you wouldn't see me complain .
  • KingYogi415
    KingYogi415
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think the first 50-75 skillpoints should always be free to respec.

This would help new players feel free to try more builds and not be stuck into one set.
  • xXMichonneXx
    xXMichonneXx
    ✭✭✭
    Shoot I respect about every other day . It's way cheap now. Good thing since I suck at building characters.
    XBoxOne NA
    910 CP
    50 Imperial Stamblade DC
    50 Argonian Templar Healer DC
    50 Altmer Mag Sorc DC
    50 Imperial Stam Templar DC
    50 Dunmer Mag DK DC
    50 Imperial Stam Sorc DC
    50 Nord Stam DK Tank DC
    50 Redguard Stam DK DPS DC
    50 Altmer Mag Templar DPS DC
    50 Imperial Stam Warden DC
  • Rayya_Blackheart
    Rayya_Blackheart
    ✭✭✭
    Next crown store option: Summonable shrines.
    PC NA Rayya Blackheart pitiful DPS NB CP160
    PC NA Phaedra Phoenix beast mode Templar Healer CP160
    PC NA lvl6 Mudcrab
  • Mandragora
    Mandragora
    ✭✭✭
    I wish there would be free respec at level 50. Now, you have to pay a lot of money and it is not your fault if you make a build, that after some levels you realise, that you don't like it. So atleast 1 free respec - after you know your class already, would be great.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!