The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Any roman incoming outfit?

abelsgmx
abelsgmx
✭✭✭
I really would love a roman imprerial outfit and if possible one handed spears in game, they can fit into woodwoking tree for craft them and no need a lot of work for skills, they can be a mix of 2H and DW. Please!
  • Maztiax
    Maztiax
    ✭✭✭
    That's racist
  • abelsgmx
    abelsgmx
    ✭✭✭
    Maztiax wrote: »
    That's racist

Why?
  • Oakmontowls_ESO
    Oakmontowls_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's going to be a toga does that count?
  • Maztiax
    Maztiax
    ✭✭✭
    abelsgmx wrote: »
    That's racist

Why?

Lore-wise and culture-wise, the Imperials share next to nothing with the Roman Republic or the Roman Empire. There is no democracy or Senate, collegia system, patrician system, or anything such as theatre, ***, forums, public baths, and many other things the Romans were famous for. Even the style as we saw in Oblivion does not match anything remotely Roman with the exception of the city of Anvil, which is mentioned in-game as having architecture inspired from neighbouring Hammerfell!

If anything, the Imperial race, or rather Colovians and Nibenese, take cultural inspiration from the Mississipian Culture of pre-colonial America, and some Mayan inspiration courtesy of the in-universe Ayleids. These influences, combined with the style of Oblivion and the culture laid out, reveals very little Roman inspiration at all.

Why do I suggest those two cultures? For several reasons. For one, the Imperials took a fair amount of influence from the Ayleids who remind me a lot of the Maya Civilization. Why? Because Cyrodiil was a jungle at this point in time, the Ayleids frequently adorned themselves with feathers and magic beads, and the Ayleids were culturally unified, but politically separate. This is all rather similar to the Mayans who were culturally unified (religion, language, climate, style, etc.), but were politically separate living in various city-states with complex alliances in the heart of a jungle. The Maya also loved to adorn themselves in feathers and beads/jewelry, as a quick google search will confirm.

So there’s why I feel that they Ayleids would have a fair bit of Mayan influence. As for the Imperials and the Mississippian Culture connection, I made that connection based on in-game texts that describe the Imperials (or rather the Nibenese) as being a river-based culture, with a lot of importance placed on trade and with a history of agriculture. This is fairly similar to the Mississippian Cultures of the America South and Southeast.

As for being a “civilized, smart, and conquering empire”, so were the Persians. So were the Chinese. So were the French and the British. What exactly is the point of that statement when so many other equally true examples could be found?

Is this all a perfect comparison? Of course not. The Imperials, like all races in Tamriel, take inspiration from numerous real-world cultures and civilizations. And while they may have some Roman inspiration, they most certainly are NOT Roman.

totally not copy/pasted
  • abelsgmx
    abelsgmx
    ✭✭✭
    I really would love a roman imprerial outfit and if possible one handed spears in game, they can fit into woodwoking tree for craft them and no need a lot of work for skills, they can be a mix of 2H and DW. Please!

If is 1H and shield don't neeed work on skills ;)
  • Eirikir
    Eirikir
    ✭✭✭✭

Spears would be cool man.
    Server: PS4-NA
    PSN: Eirikir
    Name: Eirikir "Erik" Kololf
    Alliance: Ebonheart Pact
    Race: Nord (Lycanthrope)
    Class: Dragonknight (Range DPS)
    Playstyle: Crafter, PVE, PVP, Roleplayer
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    That's racist

Why?

Lore-wise and culture-wise, the Imperials share next to nothing with the Roman Republic or the Roman Empire. There is no democracy or Senate, collegia system, patrician system, or anything such as theatre, ***, forums, public baths, and many other things the Romans were famous for. Even the style as we saw in Oblivion does not match anything remotely Roman with the exception of the city of Anvil, which is mentioned in-game as having architecture inspired from neighbouring Hammerfell!

If anything, the Imperial race, or rather Colovians and Nibenese, take cultural inspiration from the Mississipian Culture of pre-colonial America, and some Mayan inspiration courtesy of the in-universe Ayleids. These influences, combined with the style of Oblivion and the culture laid out, reveals very little Roman inspiration at all.

Why do I suggest those two cultures? For several reasons. For one, the Imperials took a fair amount of influence from the Ayleids who remind me a lot of the Maya Civilization. Why? Because Cyrodiil was a jungle at this point in time, the Ayleids frequently adorned themselves with feathers and magic beads, and the Ayleids were culturally unified, but politically separate. This is all rather similar to the Mayans who were culturally unified (religion, language, climate, style, etc.), but were politically separate living in various city-states with complex alliances in the heart of a jungle. The Maya also loved to adorn themselves in feathers and beads/jewelry, as a quick google search will confirm.

So there’s why I feel that they Ayleids would have a fair bit of Mayan influence. As for the Imperials and the Mississippian Culture connection, I made that connection based on in-game texts that describe the Imperials (or rather the Nibenese) as being a river-based culture, with a lot of importance placed on trade and with a history of agriculture. This is fairly similar to the Mississippian Cultures of the America South and Southeast.

As for being a “civilized, smart, and conquering empire”, so were the Persians. So were the Chinese. So were the French and the British. What exactly is the point of that statement when so many other equally true examples could be found?

Is this all a perfect comparison? Of course not. The Imperials, like all races in Tamriel, take inspiration from numerous real-world cultures and civilizations. And while they may have some Roman inspiration, they most certainly are NOT Roman.

totally not copy/pasted

Their names are often "latinish", and their gear certainly looks Roman (more so in earlier ES games).

And "Legionary" is a title in PvP, though that's obviously pushing it :)
  • DUTCH_REAPER
    DUTCH_REAPER
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think an emote /thisissparta would be rad.
  • abelsgmx
    abelsgmx
    ✭✭✭

I am worng, no need extra skiklls, 2H or 1H wepons have their skills tree already, sorry
  • Eirikir
    Eirikir
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's racist

I thought this dude was kidding.

Then I saw the dissertation that left out all the obvious Roman references such as architecture, military and civil government ranks and the obvious vibe of trying to take over an unwilling world.

I hope he is kidding.
    Server: PS4-NA
    PSN: Eirikir
    Name: Eirikir "Erik" Kololf
    Alliance: Ebonheart Pact
    Race: Nord (Lycanthrope)
    Class: Dragonknight (Range DPS)
    Playstyle: Crafter, PVE, PVP, Roleplayer
  • abelsgmx
    abelsgmx
    ✭✭✭
    That's racist

Why?

totally not copy/pasted

Their names are often "latinish", and their gear certainly looks Roman (more so in earlier ES games).

And "Legionary" is a title in PvP, though that's obviously pushing it :)

This is true, skyrim have one
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    They're definitely Greco-Roman inspired. I really have no idea what @Maztiax was going on about. This doesn't mean they do not their own style and multiple influences like every other race in the series. I just find it a little odd to not see the comparison. It is their Imperial legions (with escuto), spear and shield formations, roman style helmets, Arenas, schools of learning, roman-styled architecture, etc that lead one to see the similarities. The religions in Elder Scrolls certainly have a very Joseph Campbell style to them but that is in large part due to a lot of the writers, and even in that one can see a certain Roman stylization of the Aedra and their sculptures. There are of course certainly some acronistic elements in the series, even just looking at armors. The fact that there are some more medieval and possibly even early renaissance European elements strewn about in the series does not take away from the themes they were obviously stealing from. (I'd like to also ask when have you ever seen an Imperial wandering around in a feather cloak - which by the way other cultures have worn, such as the Maori, Hawaiian, Irish, and probably others).
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    That's racist

Why?

totally not copy/pasted

The only Mayan or Aztec ressembling things in this game are Argonian.
    Romans most certainly are an inspiration to the Imperials. The armor, The White Gold Tower, the names, the titles. You don't even mention that.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • abelsgmx
    abelsgmx
    ✭✭✭
    Then a

I mean something like Legionary armor from Skyrim
  • Maztiax
    Maztiax
    ✭✭✭
    That's racist

Why?

totally not copy/pasted

Romans most certainly are an inspiration to the Imperials. The armor, The White Gold Tower, the names, the titles. You don't even mention that.

The White Gold Tower looks Roman?
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Then a

I mean something like Legionary armor from Skyrim

There were Imperial costumes in the crown store already. For centurions and centurion mages.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • stevepdodson_ESO888
    stevepdodson_ESO888
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eirikir wrote: »

Spears would be cool man.

cool indeed...right now all we can do is roll Templar and go jab, jab, jab or throw one at them....closest thing we have i guess
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    That's racist

Why?

totally not copy/pasted

Colosseum + Tower of Pisa (straightened out) = WGT. Okay its more of a Renaissance style but Renaissance was inspired by Greeks and Romans anyway.
    Edited by Izaki on July 31, 2016 5:27PM
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Maztiax
    Maztiax
    ✭✭✭
    That's racist

Why?

totally not copy/pasted

Colosseum + Tower of Pisa (straightened out) = WGT. Okay its more of a Renaissance style but Renaissance was inspired by Greeks and Romans anyway.

I dunno man the White Gold Tower doesn't really look like anything IRL I dunno about you
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    That's racist

Why?

totally not copy/pasted

I dunno man the White Gold Tower doesn't really look like anything IRL I dunno about you

Colosseum + the Panteon + the tower of Pisa on top of the Panteon = WGT.... I dunno its the closest references IRL that I've found :lol:
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • JJBoomer
    JJBoomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't the whole Imperial Motif and style (and towns and cities) based on the ancient Romans already? Pretty sure it is. =p
  • Cazzy
    Cazzy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The new costumes are Romanesque.

30fdebe6249723e702e15a137cfec737.jpg

dfd93a80cc296627a5de9460133306ba.jpg
  • Sleep724
    Sleep724
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Akatosh medium helmets and legs and imperial heavy shoulders together look pretty similar to a 1st century Roman legionarre. I have it on my stamina DK and love it.