The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Where will a low level character turn in high level blacksmith writs?

Holycannoli
Holycannoli
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Before I commit any more points into blacksmithing I want to make sure I can still do writs. He's currently level 13 with 5/10 blacksmithing so it's ebony and turning in in Bangkorai, but he can be 7/10 or 8/10 blacksmithing right now which means turning in in Craglorn which I can't enter.

Someone in chat said a patch made it so you never get a writ you can't turn in, so my Craglorn writs would actually be maybe Coldharbour or something. I don't know if that's how it works though.

I don't have Orsinium yet, and was told if I had it my writs would be turned in in Wrothgar instead of Craglorn. I know that's true for 10/10 blacksmithing but what about under 10? Can I be 9/10 blacksmithing, under level 50 and still do writs?

My blacksmith is not my main character, and I took a long break from this game only coming back a few days ago, and the update that removed vet levels made everything is out of sync: my main character went from vet level 2 which wasn't much higher than ebony to champion level 90 (and he's over 100 now) which is voidstone. My blacksmith is now nowhere near capable of supplying him with gear. I can spend skill points right now and get to 7/10 or 8/10 blacksmithing which is closer to my main's level but then he can't do writs because they're for Craglorn, and I don't want to sacrifice being able to do daily writs.

I'm also concerned about One Tamriel. My blacksmith is not my main character. I have a high level main character that goes around and mines ore for him, and he crafts new weapons and sometimes armor for him and my other characters. With One Tamriel I fear I won't be able to supply my crafters.

The obvious solution is to level my blacksmith (duh). I know that. But I don't have a lot of time to play games so getting to level 50 and beyond will take a very long time. Not that I won't do it, but I'd like to know if I can level blacksmithing and continue to do writs without access to Craglorn.

Another question: People are saying to stop at 9/10 if you want nirncrux because Craglorn writs can give you it but Wrothgar can't. Is that for real? That really sucks.
Edited by Holycannoli on July 27, 2016 12:38AM
  • Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To do tier 6 Blacksmithing writs you must first travel to Coldharbour & complete the Groundskeeper's (non-combative) quest "The Hollow City." This can be done at any level if you can teleport there with a guildie or friend.

To do writs beyond that tier and to have them count as beyond that tier with a higher level drop-off location and reward, you must be a champion (ie character level 50+, formerly known as veteran rank). But you can put points into blacksmithing to bring you to a high enough level to craft gear for your characters while still getting/doing those tier 6 rewarded writs dropped off in Coldharbour until you are a champion.

So, your blacksmith at character level 13 can put whatever points he wants into blacksmithing to use as high a material as possible with those points for crafting your own gear, but the writ materials and location and reward will remain Coldharbour for quite some time.

This does mean you may need to purchase Calcinium ore for completing the writs unless your higher level character finds such gear/ore as to bring you some.

(As a side note, on my first character I rushed to purchase Orsinium for top level writs after defeating Molag Bal, but was only character level 46. Hence my writs were not deliverable to Orsinium even after investing the crafting points and purchasing the DLC for several character levels -- for your level 13 character the wait would be far longer still.)
    Edited by Tevalaur on July 27, 2016 2:20AM
    Is Uncle John's band calling you? Do you daydream about Sugar Magnolias? Is your favorite sunflower a China Cat? Tired of Truckin' alone to Terrapin Station? If so, share some Space with other hippies & deadheads in the guild Sunshine Daydream! Send a message in game (PC-NA) to Kaibeth for your invitation.
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wait, I can do tier 6 writs if I'm tier 7 or 8?

I thought all writ boards were universal, so that no matter where you got the writ from it always dropped them off at your tier. So I guess if I start a writ in Coldharbour it's a tier 6 writ? The mainland doesn't work that way. I've gotten them from Daggerfall to Bangkorai and they're always the same for my tier.
  • Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait, I can do tier 6 writs if I'm tier 7 or 8?

I thought all writ boards were universal, so that no matter where you got the writ from it always dropped them off at your tier. So I guess if I start a writ in Coldharbour it's a tier 6 writ? The mainland doesn't work that way. I've gotten them from Daggerfall to Bangkorai and they're always the same for my tier.

All writ boards ARE universal, where you pick up the writ doesn't matter. And you'll always get the highest tier writ you are eligible for up to the points you spent. It matters not where you pick it up, but only if you meet the requirements for the tier level you've taken skill points up to.

However, if your character level is level 49 or lower, you cannot deliver writs or do writs designed for anywhere higher than Coldharbour delivery so that is the top level of writ the system will give you even if you spent more points than that in Metal Working for example (the skill that determines the max level of material you can craft with).

As a matter of fact, you won't even get the writs for Coldharbour assigned until you've completed "The Hollow City" quest. You have to go talk to the groundskeeper and do that initial introduction to Coldharbour before a writ board will give you a Coldharbour-deliverable writ. So until you do that bit even if you had 6 points in Metal Working for a Coldharbour-based writ you'd continue to get writs telling you to make the items that get delivered to the Privateer Drop-Off, the last alliance-based drop-point.

Edited by Tevalaur on July 27, 2016 6:21AM
    Is Uncle John's band calling you? Do you daydream about Sugar Magnolias? Is your favorite sunflower a China Cat? Tired of Truckin' alone to Terrapin Station? If so, share some Space with other hippies & deadheads in the guild Sunshine Daydream! Send a message in game (PC-NA) to Kaibeth for your invitation.