The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Solution to limited time frustration: LEASE Crown Store Items!

Phinix1
Phinix1
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Something that occurred to me as a possible solution to the limited time sales strategy punishing people that might really want an item but can't spontaneously come up with disposable income within a 5-day window whenever it happens to come available.

What if you could rent a mount for a month with a certain number of crowns?

Say 500 Crowns.

This would let you rent any previously sold mount you do not own for one month.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Or how about this:

Every time you rent a mount, the fee goes towards the cost of that mount.

Think of it as getting to use the mount while making payments. Like a car.

You have the option at any time to buy it permanently for the remaining cost of all payments to present.

Even if you skip payment for a month, the amount invested is saved even while you aren't able to use it.

Edited by Phinix1 on July 24, 2016 7:38AM
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phinix1 wrote: »
    Thoughts?

*Vomits uncontrollably.*

-

-

But, seriously, let's NEVER. EVER. Do gear rentals. FOR. ANY. *******. REASON. IN. THIS. GAME!

Gear rentals are one of the sleaziest possible real money currency transactions in F2P games. Full stop. Doesn't matter if it's cosmetic, or gameplay related. There are so many problems with that entire system.
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mount rentals man, MOUNT rentals!
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seriously, no. This is still one of the sleaziest tactics you'll see trotted out in the market.
  • Pandorii
    Pandorii
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Come to think of it, thats how nexon ran maple story. $2 for a 90 day costume. $7 to buy it (if available on special occasions). It felt like a huge money grab.
  • bedlom
    bedlom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd rather just buy it for good tbh.
    I know the risks with CS items now and luckily there is alot of helpful fellow ESO gamers on these forums that give us all the details on them, good and bad so I always know the faults before I purchase : )
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about this:

You have the option at any time to buy it permanently for the remaining cost of all payments to present.

Even if you skip payment for a month, the amount invested is saved even while you aren't able to use it.
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    can't spontaneously come up with disposable income within a 5-day window whenever it happens to come available.

You can make fifty bucks PayPal in a couple of hours on the Internet if you really have the need for it. Or just for fun because it's easy and it's there.

But it's not a five day window. By now there are enough patterns in the crown store to know what you're getting yourself into regardless of the month.

Rentals aren't a terrible idea, until you realize that the people complaining most about crown store availability are the same people who don't intend to buy anything from it at any cost. Then you're just inventing a prorated system for non-buyers.

There's no big secret to the system. The people intending to actually buy stuff in August already have their crowns or have the money set aside for them. The system's been in place since the arcade days. It's what separated the players from the watchers. You can whine about wanting all you want, but you either have the tokens, or you don't.
    signing off
  • CherryCake
    CherryCake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No no no no no...
    I like sweetrolls and I cannot lie
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Acrolas wrote: »
    You can make fifty bucks PayPal in a couple of hours on the Internet if you really have the need for it.

How? PM's are fine. :)

Acrolas wrote: »
    Rentals aren't a terrible idea, until you realize that the people complaining most about crown store availability are the same people who don't intend to buy anything from it at any cost.

I don't see any evidence of that. Care to back up that rather bold statement with some data? What makes you assume people that would be interested in a payment plan must be non-buyers?

They have to get the Crowns from somewhere.

No no no no no...

Why why why why why?

Edited by Phinix1 on July 24, 2016 10:50AM
  • stewhead2ub17_ESO
    stewhead2ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    "solution to the limited time sales strategy punishing people that might really want an item but can't spontaneously come up with disposable income within a 5-day window"

Sorry OP but no one is being "punished". Get out and earn, son!
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In general there are 3 things which stand against this rental approach:
    1. we know about this since start of the month, so this is not a surprise at all.
    2. if 20$ are a problem for someone, he should probably not waste that on a game item anyway
    3. no one would want to buy that item for that price, if everyone can acquire it with a lease system
    So it is basically not going to happen.
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's pretty short-sighted though. People ARE being punished.

Just because you personally feel anyone who doesn't earn X amount of dollars must not deserve the right to complain about missing out on something they would otherwise pay for, it doesn't make it right to just dismiss other customers.

Also, there are people that go to school, or can't play for weeks at a time due to being busy "earning" or traveling. These people miss out on the brief chance to buy something they otherwise would as well.

Again, just because you feel these people don't matter, doesn't mean ZOS should just ditch them and lose out on that potential revenue.

Lysette wrote: »
    1. we know about this since start of the month, so this is not a surprise at all.
    2. if 20$ are a problem for someone, he should probably not waste that on a game item anyway
    3. no one would want to buy that item for that price, if everyone can acquire it with a lease system

See my above statement. People work. They travel. 1 month notice that it is coming "soon" (if that, and if they are staying up to date on the forums of these impending dates and datamines), is not always adequate. Nor are datamined still images always adequate to determine if it is something you want.

The prices aren't listed in advance either, so no preparation there.

I am honestly surprised to see the attitude in number 2 there. How can so many people in this community take the tact that if people don't have enough disposable income to just throw at things on a whim, they don't deserve or shouldn't be spending their money on game items?

If someone really wanted one specific mount, but wouldn't have $20-$40 for it until the paycheck after next, in this view, they deserve to be discriminated against and told what they should and shouldn't spend their money on?

This sounds like class snobbery to me. Not saying that was your intent but still.

Edited by Phinix1 on July 24, 2016 12:01PM
  • stewhead2ub17_ESO
    stewhead2ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Phinix1 I never said these people don't matter. But these are cosmetic items. Not you or me or anyone else is necessarily ENTITLED to have them indefinitely. It's not a punishment. It's business. If you want them and can't afford them, then I'm sorry for your luck. I currently have several items I would like but cannot afford them at this time (have a hangup about buying extras when I'm a subscriber to a game). Too bad for me. Go mow a lawn and earn those extra $$ you need to get your mount. EARN SON!!
  • AhPook_Is_Here
    AhPook_Is_Here
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something that occurred to me as a possible solution to the limited time sales strategy punishing people that might really want an item but can't spontaneously come up with disposable income within a 5-day window whenever it happens to come available.

What if you could rent a mount for a month with a certain number of crowns?

Say 500 Crowns.

This would let you rent any previously sold mount you do not own for one month.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Or how about this:

I think that would be an awesome idea, esp with a cross-marketing tie-in to a micro-finance payday lender like Quicken Loans. What could possibly make more sense than leasing intangibles? Leasing intangibles while paying 25% interest!
    “Whatever.”
    -Unknown American
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Or just learn some self-control, buy crowns when you can afford them and save them for the next limited time offer. I set away 2500 crowns for the red wolf weeks in advance (or possibly months, depending on when it's released).
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's pretty short-sighted though. People ARE being punished.

Just because you personally feel anyone who doesn't earn X amount of dollars must not deserve the right to complain about missing out on something they would otherwise pay for, it doesn't make it right to just dismiss other customers.

Also, there are people that go to school, or can't play for weeks at a time due to being busy "earning" or traveling. These people miss out on the brief chance to buy something they otherwise would as well.

Again, just because you feel these people don't matter, doesn't mean ZOS should just ditch them and lose out on that potential revenue.

See my above statement. People work. They travel. 1 month notice that it is coming "soon" (if that, and if they are staying up to date on the forums of these impending dates and datamines), is not always adequate. Nor are datamined still images always adequate to determine if it is something you want.

The prices aren't listed in advance either, so no preparation there.

I am honestly surprised to see the attitude in number 2 there. How can so many people in this community take the tact that if people don't have enough disposable income to just throw at things on a whim, they don't deserve or shouldn't be spending their money on game items?

If someone really wanted one specific mount, but wouldn't have $20-$40 for it until the paycheck after next, in this view, they deserve to be discriminated against and told what they should and shouldn't spend their money on?

This sounds like class snobbery to me. Not saying that was your intent but still.

That people always come with discrimination, when common sense could tell them, that if there is a problem with money, that this money is better saved than spend on something which serves no purpose really. So that the same kind of problem will not arise a week or a month later again. Someone has to start somewhere to fight this permanent lack of money and one such thing is to not waste it on things, which are not necessary but a luxury. - this is a helpful hint, not discrimination.
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go mow a lawn and earn those extra $$ you need to get your mount. EARN SON!!

I don't know if this is just your sense of humor, but you come off sounding arrogant and insulting. If that isn't your intention, maybe try a smiley or something because it's getting lost in translation.

You also completely ignore the scenario where a person is traveling during availability and unable to buy no matter how much they have earned, as happened to me with the Soul Shriven horse (I own every other mount besides the blue firework senche which I couldn't justify).

In your mind apparently the only people that miss these sales are poor people that deserve it for the crime of being poor. Maybe think a little deeper before pushing your idea of humor which is about as constructive as the guy that posts "no" without bothering to elaborate.

I honestly think people just come onto these forums to be contrarian for the sake of it. Very difficult to have any sort of reasoned conversation here.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go mow a lawn and earn those extra $$ you need to get your mount. EARN SON!!

I don't know if this is just your sense of humor, but you come off sounding arrogant and insulting. If that isn't your intention, maybe try a smiley or something because it's getting lost in translation.

You also completely ignore the scenario where a person is traveling during availability and unable to buy no matter how much they have earned, as happened to me with the Soul Shriven horse (I own every other mount besides the blue firework senche which I couldn't justify).

In your mind apparently the only people that miss these sales are poor people that deserve it for the crime of being poor. Maybe think a little deeper before pushing your idea of humor which is about as constructive as the guy that posts "no" without bothering to elaborate.

I honestly think people just come onto these forums to be contrarian for the sake of it. Very difficult to have any sort of reasoned conversation here.

If you are travelling, that is then just bad luck for getting the item - it was a limited time offer and if you are not around to buy it, well then you missed out on it. That is just how life works, you are either in the right place at the right time or you miss out on something. But as you always miss out on something, regardless what you do, this is something to get used to.
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It just strikes me as odd how people are clamoring to lecture me on how "this is life" and "that is business" for offering a suggestion on how ZOS could make more money and people could have more options.

It would be like aliens landing and offering to feed the starving, heal the sick, and people riot in the street demanding their right to starve and die of curable diseases.

I truly do not comprehend the mindset of these forums. :D
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It just strikes me as odd how people are clamoring to lecture me on how "this is life" and "that is business" for offering a suggestion on how ZOS could make more money and people could have more options.

It would be like aliens landing and offering to feed the starving, heal the sick, and people riot in the street demanding their right to starve and die of curable diseases.

I truly do not comprehend the mindset of these forums. :D

To stay with your metaphor, I would like to reserve the right for me, to decide, if I want to be cured - it should not be opposed on me, nor would I want to be force-fed and made gain weight, which I do not want to have.

Btw: I do not like limited time offers as well - but if ZOS is doing that, so be it, it will not make me buy something, what I do not want - when the Scamp was removed, I thought, if I want that scamp, well eventually I would have wanted it, but not in a forced way, so I did not buy it. I just don't like to feel forced and so it is not likely that I buy any of that stuff which is limited in this way, just because it is limited - either I want it, then I buy it when I want it and not when others want me to buy it, or I don't want it, then nothing makes me buy it.
    Edited by Lysette on July 24, 2016 3:18PM
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It wouldn't effect me one way or the other . I'm very stingy with my crowns . I only make full purchases of the most
    Seducing novelty items . Like that Gold bundle package rumored to be here soon .
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, but keeping the metaphor on track with the discussion...

What you and others are arguing sounds more like reserving the right to decide whether OTHERS will have the option. It sounds like you are saying "options bad, more revenue for ZOS bad, I don't want it because reasons, therefor all must go without because reasons!"

I don't see the reasons.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wait, I saw this Twilight Zone episode... Don't tell me...

They're here to eat us, right?
  • Runs
    Runs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So...

Instead of ZOS making a steady supply from people spending 2.5k-6.5k(9) crowns per month buying each mount. They will go from lots of those people switching to only paying 500 crowns per month, since many mounts are just FOTM anyway. Yes, I realize some people will still buy. But I highly doubt many will will shell out that many crowns if they just lease a new mount each month.
    Runs| Orc NightbladeChim-el Adabal| Dunmer TemplarM'air the Honest| Khajiit Templar
    Oddity| Altmer SorcerorDrizlo| Orc DragonKnightLady Ra Gada| Redguard Sorceror
    Taste-of-Hist-Sap| Argonian NightbladeWar'den Peace| Khajiit WardenLittle Warden Annie Altmer Warden
    Ports with Blood| Breton TemplarDirty-Old-Man| Dunmer DragonKnightEyes-of-the-Sun| Argonian DragonKnight
    Bleak Mystique| Nord WardenPolychronopolous| Imperial SorcerorBullcrit| Khajiit Nightblade
    PC NA CP 1250+ and still a noob
    At Writs End - A place to complete master writs
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Runs wrote: »
    So...

Instead of ZOS making a steady supply from people spending 2.5k-6.5k(9) crowns per month buying each mount. They will go from lots of those people switching to only paying 500 crowns per month, since many mounts are just FOTM anyway. Yes, I realize some people will still buy. But I highly doubt many will will shell out that many crowns if they just lease a new mount each month.

Most people don't spend 2.5-6.5(?)k per month on anything. Most don't spend the full 1500 you get from the sub.

The option to pay for expensive items that cost more than a month's sub in payments will absolutely result in more sales, not less. Once people have invested crowns in it, they will see it as a waste of money to not finish paying for it once they lose it.

It would be like writing off a car you had sunk thousands into just because you were late on one payment.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, but keeping the metaphor on track with the discussion...

What you and others are arguing sounds more like reserving the right to decide whether OTHERS will have the option. It sounds like you are saying "options bad, more revenue for ZOS bad, I don't want it because reasons, therefor all must go without because reasons!"

I don't see the reasons.

Actually no, I would like that stuff to be offered permanently, that I can buy it, when I intend to buy it and not when they want to force me to buy it. Because if they try to force me, they just trigger my stubbornness and then it is not any likely that I buy, even if I wanted that item before, because nothing breaks my stubbornness, they could gift it to me and I would not want it.
    Edited by Lysette on July 24, 2016 3:22PM
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually no, I would like that stuff to be offered permanently, that I can buy it, when I intend to buy it and not when they want to force me to buy it.

Yeah, me too. At the very least for mounts but really, costumes as well. It wouldn't kill them to add a search function and multiple pages to the crown store interface.

• stewhead2ub17_ESO
    stewhead2ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Phinix1 "I don't know if this is just your sense of humor, but you come off sounding arrogant and insulting. If that isn't your intention, maybe try a smiley or something because it's getting lost in translation.

I honestly think people just come onto these forums to be contrarian for the sake of it. Very difficult to have any sort of reasoned conversation here."

You shouldn't presume to know my "mind". I never indicated that the only people that miss these sales are "poor" people. As @Lysette mentioned, learn to budget and plan. Take advantage of opportunities when able. If you miss out, so be it. You don't seem to be looking for any "reasoned conversation" here. If you can't afford it. Go earn. If you are "traveling or working" plan ahead or go without. If you feel the need for a smiley face to pacify you then look elsewhere.

[Edit to remove insulting content]
    Edited by [Deleted User] on July 26, 2016 12:29AM
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never indicated that the only people that miss these sales are "poor" people...

Stop the whining...

Go earn...

Good day, sir.

No, you just feel compelled to get in the last word with more insulting "go earn" digs. But oh no, you're totally not being insulting to people that can't afford things.

And you're totally not oversimplifying the problem by ignoring scenarios other than not being able to afford things for missing out.

No, of course not.

[Edit to remove reference to removed content]
    Edited by [Deleted User] on July 26, 2016 12:31AM
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    All they need is a "trial" option. Let you try it out for five minutes, then the item vanishes from your inventory.