Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Brand New Player Thoroughly Confused

absurdious
Greetings and thank you for reading.

I am hoping someone could help out an old man who recently purchases ESO. The bulk of my gaming experience came during the days of simplistic rpg's with few buttons to press. So naturally, this game is thoroughly and utterly confusing.

I have been reading and watching as many different guides and tutorials as I can find over the last few days. The first problem I've noticed is that the vast majority of these are either: 1. Outdated or 2. Produced (whether consciously or subconsciously) with the assumption that the target audience has an understanding of the game, knowledge of end game gear, enchants, professions, etc., and/or end game content.

The few guides I have found that would seem to be geared towards new players with zero understanding of the game (such as myself) are, of course, guides which must be purchased.

What I am looking for is some advice on building the "right" character/class based on my goals of the game. I enjoy playing good old fashioned melee (either 2h or 1h/shield) characters. I have no preference as to either using melee abilities that cost magicka or melee abilities that cost stamina. My goals for the game are to simply enjoy the story and leveling process, questing and perhaps some pvp at the end. I do not plan on grouping, nor do I desire to have a spec that is wtfbbqpwn leet dps min/max'ed.

Remember, I'm an old dude and some times us old dudes need our hands held. So any advice that be broken down into level ranges (i.e. 1-10, 11-20, 21-30, etc.) would be invaluable. Proper allocation of attribute points per level range, and skill points per level range would be appreciated, as well as any other advice you think an old, frustrated gamer raised on Zelda on NES would need.

I thank you all in advanced. Cheers
Edited by absurdious on July 21, 2016 12:47AM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well the basics are pretty easy to grasp so I'll do as much as possible.

First, the leveling process from 1 - 50 is really rather easy in the sense you do not have to have peak gear etc for each level. Most players end up only making 2 or 3 armor sets until they hit the CP "levels."

As your goals are perfect for finding what moves etc are perfect for your style I don't need to tell you to go out and play.

Basics for builds:
    All attributes into either stamina or magicka
    All enchantments on armor either magicka or stamina
    Food is your friend, always have food or drinks active

Sword and Board and 2H is a very good choice

Really in this game the best way to start out is going dps, which means focusing entirely on one resource and weapon/magicka damage. Armor sets are extremely important, one's that increase resources and weapon damage/ magicka damage are best.

Later you can tailor to your preferences

Crit is one of the most efficient way to increasing your damage per sec.
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • frownsyndromes
    frownsyndromes
    ✭✭✭
    man for basics go and watch delitas gamings early videos he explains heaps of the basics even if they are slightly outdates its the same ***
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do not worry about builds. Just go with the flow. The game is very easy, balanced just for players like you. Do whatever you want, experiment with various weapons and skills, discovering is a large part of the fun in a new game. It is nearly impossible to gimp yourself enough to actually struggle, and even then, respeccing is readily available.

For some basic tips, i would suggest that you take up crafting and make your own weapons and armor (they do not need to be fancy, basic stuff will be more than OK). Try to wear a mix of all 3 armor types (heavy chest, light belt, etc.) - this will cause all 3 armor skills to level up so you will have more options later. Same with skills - try to use skills from many skill lines so that those skill lines all level up. It's not required for survival, it just opens up more options for you later on.

Edited by Sharee on July 22, 2016 6:21AM
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »
    Do not worry about builds. Just go with the flow. The game is very easy, balanced just for players like you. Do whatever you want, experiment with various weapons and skills, discovering is a large part of the fun in a new game. It is nearly impossible to gimp yourself enough to actually struggle, and even then, respeccing is readily available.

For some basic tips, i would suggest that you take up crafting and make your own weapons and armor (they do not need to be fancy, basic stuff will be more than OK). Try to wear a mix of all 3 armor types (heavy chest, light belt, etc.) - this will cause all 3 armor skills to level up so you will have more options later. Same with skills - try to use skills from many skill lines so that those skill lines all level up. It's not required for survival, it just opens up more options for you later on.

yes I did not know anything about builds or sets until I hit like level 50 + Veteran Rank 8 (veteran ranks have been removed recently, now we have only champion points :), but dont worry about that, you will see that later). or so, so no worries dude, you just go and do quests and kill stuff and you get dropped armors, that you can wear and dropped weapons that you can use, you can sell it all for in-game gold or deconstruct it for materials for crafting, or you can research the trait of that item and then you will be able to craft such an item with such a trait. for example a trait that increases weapon damage, or an armor set that allows you to walk fast even if you are crouched and so on :smiley:
    Edited by altemriel on July 22, 2016 6:31AM
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    the more use a certain skill, the higher level the skill becomes, the effective it becomes, shortly said :smile:
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    absurdious wrote: »
    What I am looking for is some advice on building the "right" character/class based on my goals of the game. I enjoy playing good old fashioned melee (either 2h or 1h/shield) characters. I have no preference as to either using melee abilities that cost magicka or melee abilities that cost stamina. My goals for the game are to simply enjoy the story and leveling process, questing and perhaps some pvp at the end. I do not plan on grouping, nor do I desire to have a spec that is wtfbbqpwn leet dps min/max'ed.

- Roll a Redguard stamina based Templar using dual wield for your main weapons and a bow for your ranged attacks.
    - For the first 50 levels or so, you should run full medium armor.
    - Try to get some good set pieces that fit your play-style, the bonuses add up quickly. Same goes for jewelry.
    - Put all your character stats into stamina and use armor enchants to boost your health. Completely ignore magicka.
    - Use dual wield skills that return health on attacks, like Blood Craze (Morph of Twin Slashes) and Blood Thirst (Morph of Flurry)
    - Level provisioning and make yourself blue recipe food that boosts health and stamina. Completely ignore magicka.
    - Level alchemy and make yourself health/stamina potions that you can pop in a pinch. Also make yourself some potions that boost weapon damage.
    - Get the thief Mundus to boost your critical chance.
    - Join at least one guild even if you aren't social. Most will have some good set pieces in the guild bank and other things you can use.

There's a *lot* more, but that should get you started on your journey ...
    biggrin.gif
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    absurdious wrote: »

- Roll a Redguard stamina based Templar using dual wield for your main weapons and a bow for your ranged attacks.
    - For the first 50 levels or so, you should run full medium armor.
    - Try to get some good set pieces that fit your play-style, the bonuses add up quickly. Same goes for jewelry.
    - Put all your character stats into stamina and use armor enchants to boost your health. Completely ignore magicka.
    - Use dual wield skills that return health on attacks, like Blood Craze (Morph of Twin Slashes) and Blood Thirst (Morph of Flurry)
    - Level provisioning and make yourself blue recipe food that boosts health and stamina. Completely ignore magicka.
    - Level alchemy and make yourself health/stamina potions that you can pop in a pinch. Also make yourself some potions that boost weapon damage.
    - Get the thief Mundus to boost your critical chance.
    - Join at least one guild even if you aren't social. Most will have some good set pieces in the guild bank and other things you can use.

There's a *lot* more, but that should get you started on your journey ...
    biggrin.gif

I think this advice, while good, would be more suited for someone starting a narrowly specialized alt, rather than a player brand new to the game.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »
    I think this advice, while good, would be more suited for someone starting a narrowly specialized alt, rather than a player brand new to the game.
    Well yes, that is probably true.

It just so happens that this is one of my alt builds i made and she was a blast to level up to 50 while playing casual and not aiming for PvP/Trial/Undaunted glory.

It's also a viable base for an endgame build if he ever decides to go that route.
    I did a CP160 template of the build on the PTS to test the new dungeons with a group of guild mates and that worked great too. Got my 10,000,000 Dungeon Damage Dispenser achievement on the first run of the first dungeon.
    post-2-1445282250.gif