Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Very new need help with gold and xp

Gregcarter304
Gregcarter304
Soul Shriven
Not sure what I'm doing honestly.... I'm lost. I'm trying to play I'm my own and not be a bum but I'm tired of dying... It's really Making the game boring..

Question is.... What's the best and fastest way to earn gold and xp.. (please don't be one of the rude people online that just says quest it) I'm dying on my quest so I can't get past it...
Edited by Gregcarter304 on July 20, 2016 6:35PM
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a new player, the BEST way to level and get gold is to do the main quest for whatever zone you're in while also clearing any delves, dolmens, and world bosses you encounter.

If you're struggling to complete the quest content, try using some defensive abilities on top of your damaging attacks. Use anything that will heal you or grant you spell/physical resistance, ect. Try to make a balanced build of offense and defense.

Putting attribute points in Magicka will increase the damage of attacks that do magick, or elemental damage. Put points in Stamina and it will increase the damage of your physical, poison, and disease attacks.

What class are you?
  • Gregcarter304
    Gregcarter304
    Soul Shriven
    High elf Templar
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    High elf Templar

The Templar class has very powerful healing capabilities. Try slotting at least one ability from each class skill line so that each line gets leveled up as you gain xp. Then you'll have access to plenty of abilities to help you survive.

If you choose to focus on Magicka (<-- this is what High Elves are best at) for damage/healing, you can also try using a restoration staff. This will grant you access to 5 more healing abilities that will help you survive.

What level are you?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure what I'm doing honestly.... I'm lost. I'm trying to play I'm my own and not be a bum but I'm tired of dying... It's really Making the game boring..

Question is.... What's the best and fastest way to earn gold and xp.. (please don't be one of the rude people online that just says quest it) I'm dying on my quest so I can't get past it...

By chance, have you or are you on the Starter Islands? Mobs should be around L4. If the mobs are around L7/8 then you may want to go to the starter islands to build up your character in an easier environment.

As for combat, the main thing to remember is most of your damage is going to come from your skills, weapon attacks are fillers in between skill attacks. You will get a lot of exp from doing quests and killing the mobs along the way. In any event, invest your skill points into Class and Weapon skills and have those on your bar. Use them in order so that they benefit (open with a skill that snares, then a damage over time, then a spam damage skill) and weave in light weapon attacks between the skills.

You can make lots of Gold by stealing things and fencing them at an Outlaw Refuge (look for the symbol on the map of the main town in each zone.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hate to sound rude, but your character should be /facepalm to most mobs. It's one of the easiest builds to play. Just use your Jabs to kill and heal, and the self-heal skill to keep yourself alive. Questing IS the best way to earn XP, and get a lot of gold as well. If you don't want to sell items through guild stores, stealing is another great way to earn gold. Picking safeboxes is very profitable, as long as you are sneaky enough not to get bounties. If you have Dark Brotherhood DLC, use the Blade of Woe to kill isolated targets, and get rich on their loot.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ourorboros wrote: »
    Hate to sound rude, but your character should be /facepalm to most mobs. It's one of the easiest builds to play. Just use your Jabs to kill and heal, and the self-heal skill to keep yourself alive. Questing IS the best way to earn XP, and get a lot of gold as well. If you don't want to sell items through guild stores, stealing is another great way to earn gold. Picking safeboxes is very profitable, as long as you are sneaky enough not to get bounties. If you have Dark Brotherhood DLC, use the Blade of Woe to kill isolated targets, and get rich on their loot.

He's a new player. Plenty of quest content was difficult for our very first characters, whether fighting too many mobs at once, elite monsters, or world bosses.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    High elf Templar

Your main attack, Strike which you will morph to Puncturing Sweep later, will heal you and dole out damage, so your golden. Couple that skill with Suns Fire as an opener, then close in and use Jabs. You can pretty much use these two skills all the way to end game. However, you want one skill from each of the 3 classes on your bar at all times until the Classes are leveled to 50. Your Class Skills are why you picked that class, so use them.

Add in at least one weapon skill to your bar, and maybe a support skill like Inner Light from the Mages guild and you all set.

Being a High Elf, I assume your magic focused, so use a Destro Staff as your weapon.
    Edited by Nestor on July 20, 2016 8:48PM

• Semner
    Semner
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    High elf Templar

Your main attack, Strike which you will morph to Biting Jabs later, will heal you and dole out damage, so your golden.

The morph you actually want is Puncturing Sweep. Biting Jabs is the Stamina morph. Don't use that one if you're magicka-based.

Depending on your level you could always go grind out a couple levels so that you're a bit higher than the quests.

If you note what level and faction you are, I can hopefully point you out to some good grind spots.
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    High elf Templar

until reaching level 50, or until you start playing also PVP (Cyrodiil, Imperial City), you do not really need to worry about "the best build (set of skills that you are using, and the best set armor set for your class).

But best would be if you choose if you would want to be a magicka Templar or Stamina Templar, and depending on that put your attribute points mainly into Magicka or Stamina (the most of them). It is not very viable to divert your attribute points into all 3 attributes, as Magicka damage depends on Magicka attribute points, Stamina damage depends on Stamina points...so it is best to choose either magicka or stamina.

Also think about your play style, if you want to be mainly a healer, or a damage character or a tank...

If you want to get inspired, check this out for example ;)
    http://www.sypherpk.com/stamina-templar/
    http://www.sypherpk.com/stamina-templar/
    Edited by altemriel on July 20, 2016 9:10PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Semner wrote: »

The morph you actually want is Puncturing Sweep. Biting Jabs is the Stamina morph. Don't use that one if you're magicka-based.

@Semner

Thanks for catching that.

• vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Don't know if you would like playing PvP but you can come play with me and a few friends. Active players but only problem is we tend to die often, but it is not boring.

One thing I would suggest is grind a few levels and then come back and do the quest. usually when you are a few levels higher than the mobs then they are easier to kill ( don't go higher than 5 levels or you won't get xp ).

Also if you are new, maybe you should try different types of classes to find which ones you like the most. The more you like a class the better you might be.

Good luck !

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    High elf Templar

What I would do is wear 5 pieces of heavy armor, put points into the heavy armor skills, unlock Immovable, and then morph it to unstoppable.

I love unstoppable.

I'm not sure if you are on PC/NA but I can craft you a set that will increase your health regen by 50% if your health falls below 60%. That would help you stay alive longer.

Make sure you eat or drink food.
    Edited by vamp_emily on July 20, 2016 9:00PM

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• ThePaleItalian
    ThePaleItalian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone here has great advise and I cant much. But I will tell you this. This is your first character I assume. Enjoy the game. Enjoy the quests and stories. We all got crushed our first time playing this game. Running into an elite boss or finding yourself pulling 10 mobs in a public dungeon and thinking " OMG WTF....PEW PEW DIE"

Please dont forget this... I did. Remember to save a skill point for your ultimate. Its called ultimate for a reason and can really help you against bosses and large mobs.

Also are you on PS4 NA server? If you are I am more than willing to help you run through some world bosses and dolmens in the first area to give you a bit of a an XP jump.

Listen and look for the dolmen chains too. That means someone triggered it and get there and help take it down. Nice chunk of XP and a chest full of goodies. Also be equipping new gear, its drops like crazy at the start. Sometimes you will end up leaving your gloves on till lvl 12 like I did :neutral: .
    Conan, what is good in life?
    Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.

PS4 Screen Name: The_Pale_Italian
    ZweiHandler - Orc DK Tank
    Solstice StormHaven - Magika Sorc
    Oba Nobanaga - Stam NB
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before you think about XP and gold, I am going to give some general advice. You need to figure out how to survive before you should be worrying about becoming rich. If you are having problems with low level quests, you certainly have some fundamental issues that we need to fix. Gold will come. Other than feeding your horse and the occasional repair bill, you should not need much gold until you hit level 50. SAVE IT. The only way to get XP is to quest or grind. It very well might be in your interest to find a very low level grind spot and boost your level a bit, and get comfortable with your abilities.

This game can be very overwhelming at first. Fortunately, you picked probably the best Class/Race to get your feet wet. Some people have suggested heavy armor, but I dont like that idea. I would try to wear 5 light, 1 medium and 1 heavy. If you can find someone to craft (this is why a guild is a good idea), get a 5 piece of seducer or kagrenacs in training. I would start with a destro staff as your main weapon. As a magic character, your abilities scale (become more powerful) based on your max magic and spell damage. The lesson here, dont waste any attributes or glyphs on stamina. A little health is okay in the beginning.

A templar's bread and butter is Puncturing Sweep. It is a Damage ability that is good for single target and AoE, and it heals. This should be the skill that you cast 10 times more than any other. I am fairly certain (havent actually tried) that you could beat the main quest with just this skill. As long as you are doing damage, you will be getting healed. The second skill you want for solo, is breath of life (morph of rushed ceremony).

Start with these two skills. You have a damage, and a burst heal. Spam sweep unless you are really low on health, then cast your BoL. The more enemies being hit by your sweep, the more healing you get. When solo, you should have a good reason for casting a skill other than these two. This is really all you need. One problem I got into at first was having 5 different damage skills, most of which were redundant, on my bar. Keep it simple.

For getting around, I think the best bar for a templar is as follows:

-Puncturing Sweep: Main spam ability and passive heal. This is 90% of your button pressing. You need to have faith that this will both kill your enemies and keep you alive.

-Toppling charge: Because you are in melee, this is a nice gap closer. Dont spam this, but use it to close the distance if you are far away from an enemy, or get around when grinding. This is more about utility than damage. This is probably the first skill I would flex out for something else.

-Radiant Destruction (or Radiant glory): This is your execute. It is really powerful, but only works when your target is below about 30% health. Once your target gets to low health, this will kill almost anything that moves. Destruction is more damage, Glory is better when solo because it heals.

-Breath of Life: This is your oh S**T heal. use if your health is below about 50%, otherwise just keep using sweep.

-Inner light: this is not actually used to cast. We slot it for more magic and more spell crit. It can be used to empower abilities, but I wouldnt mess with that. This can also be flexed for other things if needed.

Start with this bar, or as close as you can get. I would start with Destro staff, but Dual Swords, Sword and Shield, or even resto staff are viable options. You see a bad guy, cast toppling charge to jump on them and knock them down, spam sweep until they are low health, then finish with Radiant Destruction. Cast BoL if you get in trouble. Thats it. This will win 95% of solo fights including world bosses. Your back bar can be used for support abilities, but I wouldnt be doing much bar swapping at the beginning. Once you are comfortable with this, then you can branch out a bit.

To answer your original question, start doing crafting writs. They are are the best consistent source of gold and materials. It wont solve your problem overnight, but they add up. I dont do anything else for gold anymore other than selling rare items I get from trials. If I had as much money in RL as I do gold in this game, I could buy a jet. Haha.

Edit: If you are PC/NA, send me a whisper in game @Oreyn_Bearclaw . I would be happy to get you setup with a basic starter gear set at no cost. The more players, the better. :smiley:
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on July 22, 2016 5:20PM
  • Travy_2Hype
    Travy_2Hype
    ✭✭✭
    May seem tedious, but I would start off by research High Elf Templar builds and finding out what you like and what will work best for your style of game play. That way you won't be running blind and leveling up and spending skill points recklessly.

A really helpful thing you can do is if you have a friend that plays, or join a guild that is willing to help you. You can get pulled through quests; delves; public bosses; and dungeons. Doing those will net you good XP and decent amounts of gold. Also, if you can find someone who will make armor for you, you can get an armor set around your level with Bonus XP and Bonus Gold attributes.
    X-Box: EU

Orc Stamina DragonKnight - Tank
    Altmer Magicka Templar - DPS
    Redguard Stamina Sorcerer - DPS
  • Gregcarter304
    Gregcarter304
    Soul Shriven
    Thank you all for being so kind and helpful. This has not been my experience online. Good forum we have here.

I'm all alone tho, no one I know plays it.
    But with all this great help I should be able to get somewhere.

But if anyone is feeling a little philanthropic lol I wouldn't turn down the help.
  • Travy_2Hype
    Travy_2Hype
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you all for being so kind and helpful. This has not been my experience online. Good forum we have here.

But if anyone is feeling a little philanthropic lol I wouldn't turn down the help.

I'd suggest opening up the guild forums, it's divided by server (NA and EU) and console used (XB, PS, PC/Mac). There's always guilds with loads of people looking to help newer players and/or players trying to level up alts.
    X-Box: EU

Orc Stamina DragonKnight - Tank
    Altmer Magicka Templar - DPS
    Redguard Stamina Sorcerer - DPS
  • ThePaleItalian
    ThePaleItalian
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What are you playing on and what server?
    Conan, what is good in life?
    Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.

PS4 Screen Name: The_Pale_Italian
    ZweiHandler - Orc DK Tank
    Solstice StormHaven - Magika Sorc
    Oba Nobanaga - Stam NB
  • Gregcarter304
    Gregcarter304
    Soul Shriven
    Xbox & NA
  • zardenurghanb14_ESO
    Steal any treasures you find best source pf gold
  • Gulkrim-mur
    Gulkrim-mur
    ✭✭✭

Add me psn drinsanity666 ill help yah personally n invite you to my guild