Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

I have a really dumb question

Moonscythe
Moonscythe
✭✭✭✭✭
I know it's a dumb question because everyone else must know about it since they are why I'm asking. Anyway, to the question. Wherever I go be it city or out in the countryside I am running along at my full speed and people keep passing me like I was a VW bug at Talledega. There are usually no effects such as some of the buffs show and there is certainly no real reason to be speeding along at breakneck speed but I would really like to know how they got so fast. It happens even with low level characters and was always so even before CP so I don't think they have some passive turned on though I don't know what passives grant a speed boost. Can anyone enlighten me once you stop laughing? How can some level 5 still in soul shriven gear run along like Speedy Gonzales?
Scura di Notte - Altmer Nightblade (gear)
Lalin del Sombra - Bosmer Sorcerer (alchemy/enchanting)
Angevin Sarkany - Bosmer Dragonknight
Alkemene Velothi - Dunmer Warden (Morrowind)
Sanna yos'Phalen - Altmer Sorcerer (provisioning)
Cosima di Mattina -Altmer Sorcerer
Naria Andrano - Dunmer Templar
Luca della Serata - Redguard Templar
  • xerasia
    xerasia
    ✭✭✭
    Are you training your mount at the stables to max speed? There is also a skill called "Rapid Maneuver" in the Assault (AvA) skill line. You'll need to level your Assault to rank 2 before it's unlocked. It gives you (and your groupmates) a burst of speed.
    Xerasia - Bosmer Magicka Templar | NA EP
    Galasha - Orc Stamina Dragonknight | NA EP
    Haileigha - Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | NA EP
    Zaxaria - lvl 21 Argonian I don't even know what to do with this one Nightblade | NA EP
  • EleonoraCrendraven
    EleonoraCrendraven
    ✭✭✭
    There is a key for sprinting. Just be aware that sprinting uses your stamina. If it's spent you will be slower again until some of it has recovered.
    Go to controls - keybindings. There Combat: below attack and block there's sprint. Use that key.

• Moonscythe
    Moonscythe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xerasia wrote: »
    Are you training your mount at the stables to max speed? There is also a skill called "Rapid Maneuver" in the Assault (AvA) skill line. You'll need to level your Assault to rank 2 before it's unlocked. It gives you (and your groupmates) a burst of speed.

If I train my mount for speed do I get the speed boost when I'm just running? I did get the alliance speed boost for one character to help her finish a footrace, though it didn't help much. It just seemed that there was something going on somewhere I didn't know about since even soul shriven right off the boat were running me down when I was a higher level. If mount training works on foot then that might explain it. I over think these things. Thank you for answering.

I am on an Xbox so I have no keybindings. I do sprint sometimes if it seems essential but I have to hold down the joystick which makes steering more awkward so I only do it when I need a burst of speed to avoid a fight I don't want.
    Edited by Moonscythe on July 8, 2016 7:13PM
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i know a lot of people who have level 3 characters, with maxed out inventry space & horses.... they are commonly referred to as mules.
    occasionally a player will look at their mule and think to themselves, damn that would make one beast tank/healer/dps.... and so they start to level them up - unlikley that everywhere you go you only see these fresh out cold harbour players, but ya never know!

but regarding the super high speed, hitting sprint on mount, high mount speed & stamina, plus rapid manouver, plus a few well placed champioon points for windrunner passive and the new DB reduced agro from monster passive skill and your horses can run around PvE as fast as you like ;)
  • DPG76
    DPG76
    ✭✭✭
    You can train your mount at a stable for 3 passive upgrades that apply to your horse for speed and stamina and bag upgrade for your character (then you get 1 more inventory per training )
    These upgrades are account wide , all your characters and stay forever
    You can train 1 each 20 hours and it costs 250 gold

There's also a few abillity's and buffs that grant you temporary speed boost (on foor or horse ) but cost stamina or magicka or it's a potion

Hope this helps
    And there's no noob question , only thing that made me laugh was the expression "neckbreaking speed" lol !! :smile:
    thats fingerlicking good man !
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Moonscythe quote bugged on me - but u asked

If I train my mount for speed do I get the speed boost when I'm just running?

NO mount training does not make you run faster no, but CP can increase your speed, and CP are account wide so im guessing you are seeing a lot of people rolling a new character.
    Edited by bebynnag on July 8, 2016 7:25PM
  • xerasia
    xerasia
    ✭✭✭
    Moonscythe wrote: »
    I am on an Xbox so I have no keybindings. I do sprint sometimes if it seems essential but I have to hold down the joystick which makes steering more awkward so I only do it when I need a burst of speed to avoid a fight I don't want.

If you click down once on the left joystick, you'll continue to sprint until you either A ) run out of stam or B ) stop :) It took me a couple of weeks to figure that out. This works while on foot or on your mount.

Edited by xerasia on July 8, 2016 8:48PM
    Xerasia - Bosmer Magicka Templar | NA EP
    Galasha - Orc Stamina Dragonknight | NA EP
    Haileigha - Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | NA EP
    Zaxaria - lvl 21 Argonian I don't even know what to do with this one Nightblade | NA EP
  • McI
    McI
    ✭✭✭
    They have a maxed out horse speed, and also the rapid movement speed buff from alliance war assault tree.

It used to be an aoe to all friendlies, but now is for group only. I fly by everyone when I have that up.

Most likely you are seeing using that skill on a max speed horse.
  • josefcifkaeb17_ESO
    josefcifkaeb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is a key for sprinting. Just be aware that sprinting uses your stamina. If it's spent you will be slower again until some of it has recovered.
    Go to controls - keybindings. There Combat: below attack and block there's sprint. Use that key.

Actually stamina doesn't affect the duration of the mounted sprint. It only affects the resistance against being dismounted. Even if you're out of stamina you'll keep sprinting untill you stop holding the sprinting button.
    (つ -‘ _ ‘- )つ ▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

• Moonscythe
    Moonscythe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks! I have to confess that I generally suck at the steering while moving thing, except, ironically, when riding a horse in Oblivion where many complained about steering in first. I am a mature gamer who came to video games late so I didn't get to train my brain while young. I have occasionally noticed that I continued to sprint after releasing the button but did not make the connection with it being a left click.