Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Tired of the Cost of Gold Mats...

Papa_Hunt
Papa_Hunt
✭✭✭
...so, I hear doing the writ thing gets you gold mats? Can someone point me to a guide or something to do this? Oh, and how much time would I need to devote daily?
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have a good reserve of materials it takes about 10-20mins a day, the longest part is probably running to the survey sites after getting them.

If you have never done writs you need to go to your first town (this is Davon's Watch for EP) and do some quests (or say you know what to do and skip the quest) which open up the quests on the daily boards for you.

Then it's logging in each day going to the boards and taking the quests, crafting some items which it asks for then handing them in. You'll get a container which has a chance of dropping a gold material as well as some other goodies.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Note, just doing writs on one character will be somewhat frustrating. While the chance to get a Gold is pretty good, since you need so many (8 per item after they are Purple so 72 to 88 for a full set of gear), just doing this on one character will take weeks to get the tempers you would need.

Edited by Nestor on July 6, 2016 3:06PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Papa_Hunt
    Papa_Hunt
    ✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    If you have a good reserve of materials it takes about 10-20mins a day, the longest part is probably running to the survey sites after getting them.
    @Turelus
    Thanks! So I assume I need to make stuff for a quest? And when you say "reserve" of materials, those are to make those items to turn in? I have a max level crafter...what materials would I need to stock?

Edited by Papa_Hunt on July 6, 2016 3:28PM
  • Papa_Hunt
    Papa_Hunt
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Note, just doing writs on one character will be somewhat frustrating. While the chance to get a Gold is pretty good, since you need so many (8 per item after they are Purple so 72 to 88 for a full set of gear), just doing this on one character will take weeks to get the tempers you would need.
    @Nestor
    Thanks for the heads up. Do you recommend then that I just craft on all my toons? I would need extra points then to put into those skills?

Edited by Papa_Hunt on July 6, 2016 3:28PM
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes I mean having a stockpile of materials.

The writs scale off your invested skill so if you have 10/10 in Blacksmithing you're going to need Void and Ruby Ingots to make what's required. It's worth having some stacked up so when you get the write you can blitz through it.

There was an add-on for PC which actually auto-crafted all the items for you as well, I never used it myself though as it felt a bit too close to automated gameplay for me.
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Me too, still not in crown store. Filthy casuals like me just don't have access to the blacksmithing alloys.
    PC EU
  • Papa_Hunt
    Papa_Hunt
    ✭✭✭
    Me too, still not in crown store. Filthy casuals like me just don't have access to the blacksmithing alloys.

Hi again @WillhelmBlack ! The "casual" issue is exactly my problem. I work all the time, family, etc. When I log in, the last thing I want to do is writ quests...i want to be out pvp'n with the little time I have. But, I never gain enough gold to upgrade and its a bit of a problem now. Guess I'll put some time in to these and see if it pays off.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TBH one of the easiest ways to get gold materials is to just buy them. It's easier to make gold running content and selling in demand item sets, motifs etc then buying the materials than it is farming them yourself. You can do both as well to make it even easier.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Papa_Hunt wrote: »
    Nestor wrote: »
    @Nestor
    Thanks for the heads up. Do you recommend then that I just craft on all my toons? I would need extra points then to put into those skills?

You can do the lowest level writs with no skill points invested in crafting. I don't know the Gold Temper Drop rate from those low level writs, but my low level hirelings do just fine with Gold Tempers as compared to my top tier crafters. The only time you need to invest in the crafting skill is to raise the material level for writs in other locations or materials. Note this will affect what the hirelings bring you raw material wise too.

Since you don't need to improve anything or make anything traited, you can forgo all the passives other than Materials and possibly Hirelings.

• Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Writs really don't take long. Enchanting, Prov, Alchemy you can batch cook. Metal/Wood/Cloth its making a hand full of items then go to drop off. All 6 on one toon takes less than ten mins. Sure then you need to collect the mats on the surveys (again save them up and do in batches to save running about) and do all crafts. Even if you don't need them, say you get a Kuta, flog that for 15k and buy the temper you need etc. Happy days (unless you have ESO plus and xbox and get stuck in Wrothgar)
    Edited by Beardimus on July 6, 2016 4:36PM
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Papa_Hunt
    Papa_Hunt
    ✭✭✭
    TBH one of the easiest ways to get gold materials is to just buy them. It's easier to make gold running content and selling in demand item sets, motifs etc then buying the materials than it is farming them yourself. You can do both as well to make it even easier.
    @Turelus
    Running content? Like dungeons and such? Sorry for my ignorance, but to be honest, I only did PVE when forced to for one reason or another. What specific content would you recommend?
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you can also get gold rempers from maxed out hirelings, ins only a very small chance, but a small chance twice a day (every 12 hours) is better than nothing ;)
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Turelus
    Running content? Like dungeons and such? Sorry for my ignorance, but to be honest, I only did PVE when forced to for one reason or another. What specific content would you recommend?

The newer daily quests which grant motifs can work, as on PC EU some of these still sell for more than a gold temper. You can also get sets which drop from new content and are in demand, your best bet is to find your biggest trade hubs and look at some of the items selling in zone or via the merchants.

If you're on PC then check out two add-ons called AwesomeGuildstore and Master Merchant, those two combined will make your sales life via a trade guild easier.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There are two kinds of Mob Drops, Trash gear and Set gear (which may or may not be trash depending on if you need the set or like the trait on the item you get).

You can get the better set items from end game dungeons and trials. However you can get some decent set items from regular mobs.

Sounds to me like your main goal currently is to get enough mats to do writs/craft with. To that end, there are overland grind spots with squishy animals (Wolves, Skeevers, Jackals etc) that drop lots of leathers and gear to decon. Another good source or gear to decon for mats is Public Dungeons. You can pick up a lot of gold too, just be in a Public Dungeon that is scaled to your character.

Note, I have gone into Public Dungeons and filled my bags with decon fodder rather quickly, and have done the same and rarely get a gear drop. I think it might be best if you don't see any gear in the first few mob kills to leave the dungeon, and relog your character. Not sure how well that works to reset your RNG factor, but I have seen vast differences in drop rates in dungeons from mob kills, even in the same dungeon.

• Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Save yourself the hassle and be content with purple gear. Only upgrade weapons to gold. The added benefit for gold armor is not worth the effort.
  • xerasia
    xerasia
    ✭✭✭
    You can also get a stockpile of common writ items in your bank or backpack to help speed up the process, like several void daggers or whatever. I definitely have the provisioning recipes and alchemy pots sitting in the bank so I don't have to craft them every time, and every once in awhile I get a shortcut on the armor/weapons ones when daggers or ancestor robes come up. This only really makes sense with the crafting bag so your inventory/bank space is available.
    Xerasia - Bosmer Magicka Templar | NA EP
    Galasha - Orc Stamina Dragonknight | NA EP
    Haileigha - Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | NA EP
    Zaxaria - lvl 21 Argonian I don't even know what to do with this one Nightblade | NA EP
  • leeux
    leeux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Strange that nobody mentioned that you can get gold tempers by refining raw mats... which is currently, arguably, the best way to get them in quantity. Requisite is to have a high level character and invest in the extraction passive for each craft (3 sp per craft.)

Of course, you'll need raw mats to refine first, and that's where the hirelings and writs are useful... they give you raw mats (hirelings 3 or 10 per sending depending on luck, and writs only when you are lucky enough to get a survey from them, which for Wrothgar writs, is pretty regularly)

And farming hides is a good way of obtaining raw mats quickly, too.

Good luck!
    PC/NA - Proud old member of the Antique Ordinatus Populus

My chars
    Liana Amnell (AD mSorc L50+, ex EP) =x= Lehnnan Klennett (AD mTemplar L50+ Healer/Support ) =x= Ethim Amnell (AD mDK L50+, ex DC)
    Leinwyn Valaene (AD mSorc L50+) =x= Levus Artorias (AD mDK-for-now L50+) =x= Madril Ulessen (AD mNB L50+) =x= Lyra Amnis (AD not-Stamplar-yet L50+)
    I only PvP on AD chars

~~ «And blossoms anew beneath tomorrow's sun >>»
    ~~ «I am forever swimming around, amidst this ocean world we call home... >>»
    ~~ "Let strength be granted so the world might be mended... so the world might be mended."
    ~~ "Slash the silver chain that binds thee to life"
    ~~ Our cries will shrill, the air will moan and crash into the dawn. >>
    ~~ The sands of time were eroded by the river of constant change >>