Console/Controller Button Tips for ESO!

Molag_Crow
Molag_Crow
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Hey, Here's a few tips for those of you who play ESO on the console, since I don't think it would apply to those who're on PC/Mac with a controller, as they can change their keybinds anyway.

They may sound really silly because it's like "Why are you telling me how to use a controller?" but after over a decade of using controllers, I improved my playstyle on ESO by simply changing the positioning of ability slots.... :lol:
zdqMFhU.pngbcv3q2wbbalg.png

Note: The images above are just a guide of context or whatever and I am using PS4's terminology. I know it all comes down to preference, but what I personally find most useful, is placing certain class abilities on certain ability slots for smoothness.

On my Nightblade (I change skills around a lot and I'm a nub with NBs, so ignore this set-up, it's just to put things into context)

Ability Slot 1: Execute (Killer's Blade for now) is on my first ability slot (Square,) because you're not going to be pressing that all the time unless obviously your target is low health. I used to have Surprise Attack there but it isn't exactly the best idea, since you can't use your thumb on your right thumbstick to keep turning/aiming your cursor at a moving target, so I personally find it best to put that there.

Ability Slot 2: I find it's best for the abilities that you won't be using as often, but preferably abilities that are AOE/Buffs such as Inner Light/dark cloak etc that you don't need to focus/aim onto a moving target, especially.

Ability Slot 3: Pretty much similar to ability slot 2, but whatever you prefer. I prefer my AOE heals like Vigor/Purifying Ritual and even Pulse on my Sorc, depends.

Ability Slot 4: I put my main, instant damage ability (Surprise Attack) as L1 because it's much easier to keep on the move while strafing/turning/aiming at the same time, considering that you're in Cyrodiil and the enemy player is rolling around/moving behind you etc etc.

Ability Slot 5: I usually use this slot for important abilities, well.. for my NB, I slot Crit Rush/whatever gap-closer there, but whatever works for you as it's an easy access button on the move.

On my Templar

Ability Slot 1: I put my main, instant damage ability (Puncturing Sweep) there because it's channeled, so I don't need to keep my thumb on the thumbstick constantly, I just start sweeping, turn and weave in light attacks etc, but on my back bar I could put anything there, but usually it's a buff like channeled focus.

Ability Slot 2: Same example as the NB one, though I prefer having Repentance there/Structured Entropy, but whatever floats your boat.

Ability Slot 3: Same example as the NB one.

Ability Slot 4: Execute (Radiant Destruction) is a nice place to put it since, of course, you can aim it freely while on the move.

Ability Slot 5: Important abilities once again, like Breath of Light and a CC, like blazing spears or whatever you prefer.

Weapon Swapping and Crouching

Now I am sorry Xbox one, I don't know if you have this in your system, but basically on PS4 I strongly recommend that you guys change the layout of Crouch and Weapon Swap.

I personally like to have crouch as Left D-Pad button and weapon swap as Right Thumbstick (click in) because you can keep moving while weapon swapping, instead of jumping to swap or standing still for a moment. It's a nightmare in PvP when you're trying to do that without bending your fingers in awkward ways...

To change the button assignment (you can always deselect it when you play a different game...) Press your PS button > Settings > Accessibility > Button Assignments > Customise Button Assignments > Change Left D-Pad button with R3 > Confirm and make sure Enable is ticked, so when you're on ESO, hold in the PS button and scroll down to "Enable custom button assignment." It will take some time to get used to, trust me.. it took me over a week to get comfortable with it and it was horrible, but SO worth it in the end. It'll make your gameplay in PvP especially more fluid. That's all I can think of for now, but you get the gist. :p
Edited by Molag_Crow on July 2, 2016 10:56AM
--ϟ-- Crows_Descend - Templar - Ebonheart Pact [PS4]&[PC] [EU] --ϟ--
YoutTube ESO Playlist
The greatest prison that people live in, is the fear of what other people think. - David Icke
Be your true, authentic self.

• AJ_1988
    AJ_1988
    ✭✭✭
    I use the elite xb1 controller. No need to take thumbs off the sticks and even have one paddle assigned to swap weapons :).

Nice guide tho :).
    Options
  • AJ_1988
    AJ_1988
    ✭✭✭
    Should point out its Y+B for synergy in Xbox not the thumb sticks.
    Options
  • Molag_Crow
    Molag_Crow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    AJ_1988 wrote: »
    I use the elite xb1 controller. No need to take thumbs off the sticks and even have one paddle assigned to swap weapons :).

Nice guide tho :).
    AJ_1988 wrote: »
    Should point out its Y+B for synergy in Xbox not the thumb sticks.

:sunglasses: Oh? that sounds even better then and we don't use thumb sticks for synergy either, so I guess that image of the Xbox one controller is wrong or modified, or something.

Edit: Changed, thanks for the image !

Edited by Molag_Crow on July 2, 2016 10:56AM
    --ϟ-- Crows_Descend - Templar - Ebonheart Pact [PS4]&[PC] [EU] --ϟ--
    YoutTube ESO Playlist
    The greatest prison that people live in, is the fear of what other people think. - David Icke
    Be your true, authentic self.

Options
  • DRXHarbinger
    DRXHarbinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Should be an option to change dodge roll to right click. Too many times have I ended up jumping at a stupid angle when it doesn't work to an untimely death.
    PC Master Race

1001CP
    8 Flawless Toons, all Classes.
    Master Angler
    Dro-M'artha Destroyer (at last)
    Tamriel Hero
    Grand Overlord
    Every Skyshard
    Down With BOP!
    Options