Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How viable is using an Xbox 360 controller on the PC?

ElazulHP
ElazulHP
I keep going back and forth on if I should keep using my wired 360 controller or not while playing? I think it makes combat a lot easier since buttons are not spaced apart and I don't need to look down to make sure i'm hitting the right key, but it the menu system drives me crazy. Also, how viable is using a controller for PvP? I'm still new and learning the game and wondering if I should just focus on muscle memory for the M/KB or use the controller and search for some kind of add on that makes the menu system better while using a controller if that is something that exists? What do you all do? Thanks in advance!
  • DUTCH_REAPER
    DUTCH_REAPER
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use an Xbox One controller with mine. I use it with Xpadder software since the game was released. Now you can just use it on PC like they do on consoles.
  • ElazulHP
    ElazulHP
    I use an Xbox One controller with mine. I use it with Xpadder software since the game was released. Now you can just use it on PC like they do on consoles.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I've been playing with the controller more and found I much prefer it in combat as it's easier to use and doesn't hurt my hands as much during long play sessions. I downloaded BetterUI for Gamepads addon and installed that and it helps somewhat, but I still don't like the gamepad UI even with it. *shrug* guess I'll keep checking stuff out or just learn to deal with the Mouse and Keyboard.
    Edited by ElazulHP on July 3, 2016 7:49PM
  • JohnnyQuantum
    JohnnyQuantum
    ✭✭
    I've tried it, and it works OK, but I still prefer a keyboard and gaming mouse (I use the Razer Naga). I don't have an issue with the UI, my main reason for not using a controller is that I don't get the control/precision of a mouse - perhaps I need to tweak the controller settings, but I'm not able to aim as well or as quickly with it as I can with a mouse.
  • ElazulHP
    ElazulHP
    I've tried it, and it works OK, but I still prefer a keyboard and gaming mouse (I use the Razer Naga). I don't have an issue with the UI, my main reason for not using a controller is that I don't get the control/precision of a mouse - perhaps I need to tweak the controller settings, but I'm not able to aim as well or as quickly with it as I can with a mouse.

I'm not end game yet, but is precision really needed in this game? I can understand an FPS game needing it, but not sure about an MMO.
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ElazulHP wrote: »

I'm not end game yet, but is precision really needed in this game? I can understand an FPS game needing it, but not sure about an MMO.

For pvp yes. Camera movement is far too slow with the analog sticks, even on max sensitivity.
  • greylox
    greylox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A mate plays round mine and uses a 360 controller and I use it when I'm on the sofa just arsin' about and it's alright but feels very sluggish compared to mouse and keyboard, turn speed especially. And you shouldn't have to look down at your keyboard either, not like there's many buttons ;)
    PC EU

House of the Black Lotus
    *{Smokes-in-the-Shade }* (Mag pet Sorc Argonian, prolific thief, willing participant of the dark arts, gardener of exotic...herbs)
    {Lugdum The Mechanist} (Hybrid Orc Templar, collector of ancient Ayleid smoking pipes)
    {Rantoul} (Dark Elf Magknight, likes an ale between boss fights, has been known to offer daedric princes out in a fist fight)
    {Red, The Wanderer} (Bosmer stam sorc and hunter extraordinaire)
    {Shoots-For-Stars} (Argonian Mag pet Sorc Ice mage Healer)
    *{Jinny the spark }* (Sassy Imperial Stamplar)
    {Crezzi the Drifter} (Magblade khajiit burglar, available for questionable operations)
    {Grif the Despised} (StamKnight Tank Nord, Eastmarch Master Drinker and spinner of tall yarns)
    {Geraldine Stone-Heart} (High Elf MagSorc Ice Tank, Mystic, practitioner of the ancient arts)
    *{Anawinn}* (Stam pet Ward Redguard, Mother to a bear and an unruly Hunger,Librarian, field medic and natures fist)

{*}Mains
    { CP 900+ }

Caretaker of Battle Island (Grand Topal), the holiday destination for the discerning warrior
    Residing in Stay-Moist Mansion-Shadowfen - The Smoking Den (as of 6th feb 2017)

• WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's a definite need for me now! I have a hard time not using the controller. It's mostly for comfort and not hurting my wrists by laying em down on the keyboard. It's very nice that you can bind the buttons to whatever suits you best so easily. Like I bound the sprint and crouch button to those like in Skyrim.
    As for the menus, there is an option to bind a key that toggles between gamepad and PC UI. That binding comes in real handy if you want to link several items in chat.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    greylox wrote: »
    A mate plays round mine and uses a 360 controller and I use it when I'm on the sofa just arsin' about and it's alright but feels very sluggish compared to mouse and keyboard, turn speed especially. And you shouldn't have to look down at your keyboard either, not like there's many buttons ;)

The turn speed is slower compared to mouse. This is a huge pain while using sieges in PvP, but you can still use the mouse to aim and fire said sieges.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • ElazulHP
    ElazulHP
    greylox wrote: »

Yeah I noticed turn speed is a lot slower on gamepad. I've tried playing more with the M/KB and I just suck at it horribly. About every other time I go to use a skill I press the wrong button. I also end up having to take my hands off the movement keys. I dunno I feel like i'm more responsive with the gamepad excepting the turn speed. I'm able to chain skills together a lot faster then I can on the m/kb.
    Edited by ElazulHP on July 6, 2016 5:25PM
  • ElazulHP
    ElazulHP
    As for the menus, there is an option to bind a key that toggles between gamepad and PC UI. That binding comes in real handy if you want to link several items in chat.

Thank you for this! I didn't notice that. I'll have to check it out when I log on later today.