Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How is this even possible? Or was Mannimarco lying?

raidentenshu_ESO
raidentenshu_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
oaGU2YF.png

So Mannimarco explains how killed me, allowed his undead servants to drink my blood, and then he reanimated my dead body.

Can someone here explain to me how on Nirn was this done without any severe psychological impacts? Since then my character is walking around without any side effects whatsoever. I am not bounded to Mannimarco's will as one of his undead servants. My soul has been departed (Molag Bal has it) and my body is nothing but a husk.

Can someone with Lore expertise please make sense of all of this because I'm just so discombobulated right now.
  • Curragraigue
    Curragraigue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The old intro showed Mannimarco stabbing you to fill a soul gem, you loose consciousness and then wake up in Coldharbour. I think if you ask questions in the intro area the Prophet takes a stab at explaining how you can function independently without a soul. It has been awhile so I can't remember what it was.
    PUG Life - the true test of your skill

18 characters, 17 max level, at least 1 Stam and 1 Mag of every class, 1 of every race and 1200+ CP

Tanked to Undaunted 9+ Mag and Stam of every class using Group Finder for 90+% of the Vet Dungeon runs
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first quest's Journal entry gives a bit of an idea:

I died, but that was only the beginning...

The rest of the Journal is not quite accurate:
    I awoke in Oblivion. My body is intact, but my soul has been torn from my body. I must find a way out of this nightmare place to reclaim what was lost to me, or I will be damned for all eternity.

Your body, that is your original body, is the corpse that Mannimarco reanimated, and you never see it. What you are wandering around in is, per the Prophet's name for you, a vestige, literally a remnant of something that no longer exists.

As for why you are not experiencing the psychological impacts that are clearly present in other soul-shriven, this is likely due to your status as a theorised "paragon" soul-shriven, whose Anuic valency is so high that the vestige was able to create a perfect copy of your pre-death existence.

For more on this, have a read of this passage from Chaotic Creatia: The Azure Plasm:
    Then there are the poor slaves known as the Soul Shriven. Each is a mortal kidnapped from Mundus at the moment of death, his or her soul stolen by Molag Bal for some unthinkable purpose, and given in exchange the vestige that enables him or her to form a counterfeit body here in Coldharbour. But they are not native to Oblivion, so a Soul Shriven's body is a sad imitation of the body worn in life, suffering rapid wear and decay until it dies—a death that is no liberation, for its vestige only forms a body once again, over and over, ad infinitum...
    Such are the facts. What follows is speculation, born of conversations with the Sojourner during his infrequent and unpredictable visits. His theory is that the Soul Shriven's bodies are flawed because they have lost the focusing principle of their Anuic souls, so their vestiges are imperfect patterns. I concurred that this was likely, and then proposed the theoretical possibility of a Soul Shriven who, despite having lost his or her soul, possessed some other intrinsic Anuic aspect. This shall-we-say "paragon" Soul Shriven would form an unflawed body in Coldharbour that was a perfect duplicate of the body worn in Mundus. In fact, if this paragon bore a sufficiently high Anuic valence, upon contact with Padomaic creatia its body would form almost instantaneously.
    The Sojourner scoffed at my theory, but seemed taken with the idea nonetheless. He went on to speculate that if such a thing were possible, it would probably occur in a situation where the Mundus was in existential jeopardy. In that case the Heart of Nirn would spontaneously generate such "paragon" individuals as a way of defending itself from destruction, in a manner analogous to the way the mortal body fights off infection.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • khele23eb17_ESO
    khele23eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No soul, no psychological impact.
    P2P offered you 'hell yeah!' moments. F2P offers you 'thank god its over' moments.
  • Pistolera_ESO
    Pistolera_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    This is why one must read and read and ask and ask in the game!
    -Guildies-
    Tyrs Paladium
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is why one must read and read and ask and ask in the game!

Lore Books, they are not just for advancing the Mages Guild and Skills
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Think about it.

Your character, once a skilled, experience brave soul is now bereft of memory and skills; part you "re-learn" by experience, and part you "reclaim" by skyshards (by connecting/reclaiming that part of you which was reft away).

Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis