The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

magicka NB?

pcar944
pcar944
✭✭✭✭
my NB is a stam, I was thinking about re-doing into a Mag NB

its a Imperial and its my "main" and has all skill lines leveled up, so its just a matter of changing some CP and skills

but I am not sure where to start

anyone can share any insight on the mag NB?

I play mostly on Trueflame, but I like to do Vet dungeons every now and then
One Tamriel killed PVP

DC Magicka Orc Necromancer climbing those ranks ...
  • SanSan
    SanSan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't be Imperial for magic. Just re-roll as another class if you want to be better.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SanSan wrote: »
    Don't be Imperial for magic. Just re-roll as another class if you want to be better.

I hate to say it, but I agree. If you want to play magic, re-roll a dunmer. Altmer might be a touch better now, but it wont be next patch if the changes hold up. Dunmer is prob better for PVP as well.

That being said, you can certainly make it work on an Imperial. The extra health and stam is really nice in PVP, but in group dungeons you will pull less DPS than a High Elf or Dark Elf no matter what you do.

There is nothing fancy about making the switch. Put all your points into Magic, take the magic morphs of all your skills, make sure you level Light armor, Resto, Destro and Duel Wield.

In PVP, I Run DW/Resto. In PVE, I run Destro/DW.

Important class skills: Concealed Weapon, lotus fan, cloak, impale, Mass Hysteria, Funnel health, Crippling Grasp, merciless resolve, siphoning attacks, refreshing/twisting path, sap essence, veil of blades, sould harvest, soul tether.

Other skills worth leveling: Meteor, inner light, force pulse, elemental blockade, harness magic, healing ward, rapid regen, rapid maneuvers, prox det.

Sure I missed a few. If these arent leveled, refer to the first statement. You can re-roll as fast as you can level these skills and skill lines. Magic NB is a cakewalk to level with. You can Funnel Health the whole game to death until you get sap essence then you just do the same thing but against multiple targets.
  • pcar944
    pcar944
    ✭✭✭✭
    hm then perhaps I will wait until race-reroll happens

stay stam for Cyro for now, even though I hardly play on the NB now
    One Tamriel killed PVP

• Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pcar944 wrote: »

I mean you could also just spec into it for a week and see if you like it. The point I was making is that most people dont have everything leveled, so re-rolling, especially now that we have XP pots and training gear, takes about as long as leveling all the skills on an old toon.
  • Mac10murda
    Mac10murda
    ✭✭✭
    I sometimes switch my khajiit over to magicka when I get bored of stam , but now I am going to level a high elf
  • pcar944
    pcar944
    ✭✭✭✭
    pcar944 wrote: »

I mean you could also just spec into it for a week and see if you like it. The point I was making is that most people dont have everything leveled, so re-rolling, especially now that we have XP pots and training gear, takes about as long as leveling all the skills on an old toon.

ah but I don't have to re-level anything, I might be missing a morph or two though

Ill think about it some more

been having too much fun w mDK
    One Tamriel killed PVP

• LBxFinalDeath
    LBxFinalDeath
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mageblade can hit extremely hard if spec'd right.

My Breton has over 45K max magicka and 3125 spell damage. (unbuffed spell damage and out of stealth, though that max magicka is with purple food)

12K+ concealed blades unbuffed.

At the cost of pretty bad regen (sub 1K for each), Its easy to make up the loss of resources with siphoning attacks though tbh.

I wouldn't use Imperial for Mageblade though tbh.

Mageblade hits even harder than it used too as well since everyone is taking CP out of resisting magic damage and instead are stacking it into resist physical damage and dot damage.

Its very much so a extremely high risk for a high reward kinda class now though, a lot more than stamblade nowadays.

I'd recommend using destro/resto over dual wield/resto if you have never played Magicka NB before.
    Edited by LBxFinalDeath on July 1, 2016 1:26AM
  • AGrz5585
    AGrz5585
    ✭✭✭
    What is a good gear setup for a caster magNB for pvp. Probably going to run destro/resto
  • terrasight
    terrasight
    ✭✭✭

My Breton has over 45K max magicka and 3125 spell damage. (unbuffed spell damage and out of stealth, though that max magicka is with purple food)

Staffbar? Swordbar?

Hekat'e / Hel'a Niflheim - Sorc / Necro - PS5 EU
  • Draxys
    Draxys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Fully disagree about imperial not being viable for a magicka NB (at least for pvp). Yea, you'll be missing some magicka and regen or something but it's not that big of a deal, to be honest.

The bottom line is that if you aren't effective without a good race, you won't be effective with it. Two of the best magicka NBs I know of are a redguard and a khajiit, 2 classes that have a total of one bonus to magicka NBs between the 2 of them. And that depends on being in stealth, it's not even magicka based.

rip decibel
  • Draxys
    Draxys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    AGrz5585 wrote: »
    What is a good gear setup for a caster magNB for pvp. Probably going to run destro/resto

If you have the ability to farm maelstrom and can stand the grueling time requirement, a winterborn build with destro resto is a lot of fun. I finally just got enough winterborn pieces to do it. You could also go heavy armor. There are actually tons of options for magicka NB thanks to great passives and skills like siphoning attacks. I'm just now rediscovering this after not playing my NB since like 1.4.

rip decibel
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

12K+ concealed blades unbuffed.

At the cost of pretty bad regen (sub 1K for each), Its easy to make up the loss of resources with siphoning attacks though tbh.

I wouldn't use Imperial for Mageblade though tbh.

Mageblade hits even harder than it used too as well since everyone is taking CP out of resisting magic damage and instead are stacking it into resist physical damage and dot damage.

Its very much so a extremely high risk for a high reward kinda class now though, a lot more than stamblade nowadays.

I'd recommend using destro/resto over dual wield/resto if you have never played Magicka NB before.

Uum? Does Concealed Weapon and Suprise Attack scale differently? I get 14K+ Suprise Attacks unbuffed with 3350 Wep dmg, 37k Stamina Unbuffed.
  • Lefthy
    Lefthy
    ✭✭
    Hey guys, can anyone here gimme a help pls?

I really really like the DW/RESTO or DES build, and im lvling a nb right now to start testing it but i have a mayor issue here.

How do you make your waves? light weave, heavy weave? with the dual sword? with the resto staff?

I mean, lets said im with dw/resto and i just got low magicka, i need to make some weapons weaves to recover, should i stay on dw and get my recovery do the job? or should i swap and weave with the resto? it feels so bad weaving with the resto XD.

Any tips?
  • Draxys
    Draxys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lefthy wrote: »
    Hey guys, can anyone here gimme a help pls?

I really really like the DW/RESTO or DES build, and im lvling a nb right now to start testing it but i have a mayor issue here.

How do you make your waves? light weave, heavy weave? with the dual sword? with the resto staff?

I mean, lets said im with dw/resto and i just got low magicka, i need to make some weapons weaves to recover, should i stay on dw and get my recovery do the job? or should i swap and weave with the resto? it feels so bad weaving with the resto XD.

Any tips?

If you're low level, it's pretty much inevitable that you're going to run out of resources at some point, unless you're playing in an area that scales you up to 50.

Resto heavy attacks are a good way to recover magicka. Alternatively, to avoid needing to recover it, you could make some Seducer set gear, pick up the passive skills that improve your regen, and wear as much light armor as possible (and get the light armor passives.)

rip decibel
  • twistedmonk
    twistedmonk
    ✭✭✭
    are you guys on Trueflame (CP) or Azura (no CP) campaign?

I guess to get the high spell damage you have to use dual wield swords. I dont know why the base damage of staves is less than 2-hander sword. At this point they should all be the same. and that forces magic users to use stamina based weapons to get high spell damage.
  • Reeko
    Reeko
    ✭✭✭✭
    I use destro/resto with my khajiit magblade. Don't let race and weapon choice force you into a playstyle you're not comfortable with.

Not sure how much this will help but here are the abilities i use.

Destruction staff:
    Dark Cloak
    Structured Entropy
    Crippling Grasp
    Merciless Resolve
    Swallow Soul
    Clouding Swarm

Restoration staff:
    Healing Ward
    Blur
    Shadow Image
    Mass Hysteria
    Piercing Mark
    Soul Tether

My playstyle is to keep my distance and kite my opponent.
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SanSan wrote: »

I hate to say it, but I agree. If you want to play magic, re-roll a dunmer. Altmer might be a touch better now, but it wont be next patch if the changes hold up. Dunmer is prob better for PVP as well.

That being said, you can certainly make it work on an Imperial. The extra health and stam is really nice in PVP, but in group dungeons you will pull less DPS than a High Elf or Dark Elf no matter what you do.

There is nothing fancy about making the switch. Put all your points into Magic, take the magic morphs of all your skills, make sure you level Light armor, Resto, Destro and Duel Wield.

In PVP, I Run DW/Resto. In PVE, I run Destro/DW.

Important class skills: Concealed Weapon, lotus fan, cloak, impale, Mass Hysteria, Funnel health, Crippling Grasp, merciless resolve, siphoning attacks, refreshing/twisting path, sap essence, veil of blades, sould harvest, soul tether.

Other skills worth leveling: Meteor, inner light, force pulse, elemental blockade, harness magic, healing ward, rapid regen, rapid maneuvers, prox det.

Sure I missed a few. If these arent leveled, refer to the first statement. You can re-roll as fast as you can level these skills and skill lines. Magic NB is a cakewalk to level with. You can Funnel Health the whole game to death until you get sap essence then you just do the same thing but against multiple targets.

What are the changes that will make dunmer better next patch? I thought all they were doing was adding passive racial lines that were virtually useless?
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
    ¥ampire Lord of the South