The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Tanky PvP Magic Templar w/Some Damage?

Papa_Hunt
Papa_Hunt
✭✭✭
I've always played squishy damage types, but I'd like play something tankier in PvP for more survivability...and I have no idea how to really go about it. Any recommendations and/or links on gear options, skills, play style, etc. to accomplish this while still having decent damage? I'd like to play my magic Templar, preferably in heavy armor, sword and board on at least one bar. I'm open to ranged only even (no jabs).
  • DRXHarbinger
    DRXHarbinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    All heavy Ebon set infused with health glyphs..malubeth set, 3 peice Fasillias Guille jewelery healthy with magicka regen enchants and, ashen S&B shield infused with health glyphs. Wrothgar food health and magic regen.

Pop blazing shield and watch them NB gank groups burn lol. 60k health is the target so pick an imperial or something with a max health passive.

Current meta for 1vXs.
    PC Master Race

1001CP
    8 Flawless Toons, all Classes.
    Master Angler
    Dro-M'artha Destroyer (at last)
    Tamriel Hero
    Grand Overlord
    Every Skyshard
    Down With BOP!
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I use 2 Engine Guardian for resources, 5 Kagrenac and 5 Transmutation for tankiness. 5 heavy, 2 light.

This build is unbelievable right now, I've stopped playing him for a while. Feels weird my Templar main being OP.

I've seen what some better players can do with it, it's unstoppable. I think the majority prefer Malubeth though.

https://youtu.be/GBQ4rig8FR4
    PC EU
  • Papa_Hunt
    Papa_Hunt
    ✭✭✭
    All heavy Ebon set infused with health glyphs..malubeth set, 3 peice Fasillias Guille jewelery healthy with magicka regen enchants and, ashen S&B shield infused with health glyphs. Wrothgar food health and magic regen.

Pop blazing shield and watch them NB gank groups burn lol. 60k health is the target so pick an imperial or something with a max health passive.

Current meta for 1vXs.

@DRXHarbinger I very much appreciate your input and hopefully I didn't waste your time. But I failed to mention I'd like to avoid the Blazing Shield type build. Any input on something more traditional that is tanky but with decent damage?
  • Wollust
    Wollust
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Current meta for 1vXs.

Well that build only works against dumb people.
    All you need is 2 competent players and they'll kill the blazing shield tank. Will take a minute or two, but he will die nonetheless.
    Susano'o

Zerg Squad
  • Wollust
    Wollust
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    A popular build for magicka templars is something along the lines of Kagrenac, Transmutation and Malubeth. Incredibly tanky, decent sustain, okayish damage output. Dualwield and S&B. Atronach Mundus. All attributes into magicka. Tristat glyphs on the big pieces except the shield. 5 heavy and 2 light is my preferred choice.
    As transmutation buffs your crit resist by a lot you can go with quite a few pieces of sturdy for a better stamina management. I like 5 sturdy (one of them on the shield obviously) and 3 impenetrable. The enchants on your jewelry depend on how good you can sustain yourself, so you gotta test that out. Personally, I like having one stam regen glyph on my jewelry. Enchants on weapons are personal preference, though the spell damage glyph on your dual wield bar is recommened for obvious reasons.

If you want it even tankier you can go with 5 pieces reactive to play the most annoying and near unkillable templar spec. :lol:
    Though your damage will be meh, except for jesus beam because reasons.
    Susano'o

Zerg Squad
  • Papa_Hunt
    Papa_Hunt
    ✭✭✭
    @WillhelmBlack @Wollust

How about Fasalla's Guile instead of Transmutation? How would that work?
  • KoreanAwtamatic
    https://youtu.be/f-JXCCTiAHM

Reactive and transmutation with skoria or engone guardian
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wollust wrote: »
    If you want it even tankier you can go with 5 pieces reactive to play the most annoying and near unkillable templar spec. :lol:

I tried Reactive and it felt a lot squishier than Malubeth/Fasallas/Transmutation. Unfortunately this combo rocks a whole 2k spell damage unbuffed on the DW bar. But it brings to the table some good group benefits.
  • Papa_Hunt
    Papa_Hunt
    ✭✭✭
    What magicka regen am I looking to get with this build? What glyph for Shield?
    Edited by Papa_Hunt on June 30, 2016 4:31PM
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Fasalla AND Transmutation is awesome and very cheap. My NB wears that combo sometimes. You can combine fasalla with any set, it's great but it's borderline evil when combined with Duroks Bane. It doesn't matter how bad your dps is with that combo, they ain't healing.
    Papa_Hunt wrote: »
    @WillhelmBlack @Wollust

How about Fasalla's Guile instead of Transmutation? How would that work?

PC EU
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I'm a Breton and I sit at around 1900, the most gain you get though is through channeled focus, harness magicka, engine guardian and the heavy armour passive.
    I use my shield bar for heals so I put a magicka glyph on it. I also went Nirnhoned for getting the most out of the CP passive that boosts it's armour rating. As someone suggested already, Sturdy is also a very good trait.
    Edited by WillhelmBlack on June 30, 2016 5:25PM
    PC EU
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fasalla AND Transmutation is awesome and very cheap. My NB wears that combo sometimes. You can combine fasalla with any set, it's great but it's borderline evil when combined with Duroks Bane. It doesn't matter how bad your dps is with that combo, they ain't healing.

Agreed, we have a raid member running Fasalla's and Durok's combo as an experiment as well. For sure a niche build ... but the healing received in enemy groups is definitely getting rekt.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A popular build for magicka templars is something along the lines of Kagrenac, Transmutation and Malubeth.

This is a good option as well. If you have your resource management figured out, you could potentially replace Transmutation with Julianos for some extra "pop". Hard to give up the regen bonuses with Transmutation ... if you have PTS you can always sandbox your build there with no penalty.
  • yotanut
    yotanut
    ✭✭✭
    What is the best race choice for these kinds of builds?
  • SneaK
    SneaK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got up to 3898 spell damage on my magtemp in heavy Clever Alchemist. Still had 1800 regen and on my defensive bar my resists go up to 3600 crit, 29K spell, 26K physical...

"IMO"
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Bosmer Nightblade AR 32 - Altmer Templar AR 26 - Dunmer Dragonknight AR 18 - Altmer Sorcerer AR 20 - Khajiit Dragonknight AR 18
    (+3 not worth mentioning, yet)
  • Papa_Hunt
    Papa_Hunt
    ✭✭✭

I'm a Breton and I sit at around 1900, the most gain you get though is through channeled focus, harness magicka, engine guardian and the heavy armour passive.
    I use my shield bar for heals so I put a magicka glyph on it. I also went Nirnhoned for getting the most out of the CP passive that boosts it's armour rating. As someone suggested already, Sturdy is also a very good trait.

@WillhelmBlack Thanks! Forgot to ask...running tri-food or something else?
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    yotanut wrote: »
    What is the best race choice for these kinds of builds?

Imperial, Breton, Dunmer, Altmer or Argonian. Up to your personal preference but imo Dunmer and Breton are the best.

@WillhelmBlack Thanks! Forgot to ask...running tri-food or something else?

Always tri-stat purple food for Magicka Templar. You'll need at least 14-16k stamina.
    PC EU
  • Justice31st
    Justice31st
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always played squishy damage types, but I'd like play something tankier in PvP for more survivability...and I have no idea how to really go about it. Any recommendations and/or links on gear options, skills, play style, etc. to accomplish this while still having decent damage? I'd like to play my magic Templar, preferably in heavy armor, sword and board on at least one bar. I'm open to ranged only even (no jabs).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0j8dYq1D8k if interested let me know for build.
    "The more you know who you are, and what you want, the less you let things upset you."
  • Heike
    Heike
    ✭✭✭

Current meta for 1vXs.

All you need is 2 competent players and they'll kill the blazing shield tank. Will take a minute or two...

That's about the most asinine answer I've seen this week. lol

It takes "2" of you...?

Spoken like a true ganker. You probably never 1v1, do you...? (no need to respond; we all probably know the answer).

So, what. He mentions "NB ganker," and you get all ass-hurt? lol

How about this, Mr Hijacker: Why not give him some helpful advice, instead of throwing down your big words like "dumb."

Jesus.

@DRXHarbinger: I would agree with all of what you mentioned, including the Blazing Shield, as an OPTION, but your Mag Regen needs to be high.
    Edited by Heike on June 30, 2016 9:37PM
    Mihail Heike
    (NA AD CP1800 Templar - DD/Heals)
    Heikers | The Hive Mind | Dead Nirn Dealers | Bowz N The Hood | Tertiary Meat
    "Lex Orandi, Lex Credendi"

"I will see you, galloping across the green pastures and through the timbers. I will watch, from my shadowy crouch under the rocks at Greenmead, as you race past the dolmen, with thoughts of Altadoon in your head. Yes, I will see you. And your journey will end there..."
    ~Mihail Heike
  • DRXHarbinger
    DRXHarbinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Heike wrote: »

Current meta for 1vXs.

All you need is 2 competent players and they'll kill the blazing shield tank. Will take a minute or two...

It takes "2" of you...?

Spoken like a true ganker. You probably never 1v1, do you...? (no need to respond; we all probably know the answer).

How about this, Mr Hijacker: Why not give him some helpful advice, instead of throwing down your big words like "dumb."

Jesus.

@DRXHarbinger: I would agree with all of what you mentioned, including the Blazing Shield, as an OPTION, but your Mag Regen needs to be high.

Lol that guy raged. He was probably the DK that sent a snipe and then leaped right into my fire and burned up like an asteroid lol. Gave me a nice 2k AP.

Mag Regen needs to be around 2.5k+ will full CP into regen and reduced cost.

Health recovery needs to be around 1.5k for this and that's hard to achieve, requires gold food which is stupidly expensive.

I've only had my blazing tank for a week or so and I love it. Just run around waiting for the snare to kick in and pop shield and watch them fry.
    PC Master Race

1001CP
    Master Angler
    Tamriel Hero
    Grand Overlord
    Every Skyshard
    Down With BOP!
  • Wollust
    Wollust
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Current meta for 1vXs.

It takes "2" of you...?

Jesus.

Pretty sure I've had more duels than you, especially successful ones.
    And no, I did not get butthurt at all, I stated the obvious. That build only works against people who don't understand it. That's the pure truth about it. I have played it myself. I know its weak points, its strength and limitations. And I also know that one single player is not capable of killing it, if played correctly. That's why I said 2 competent players are needed and the blazing shield tank will die. There is nothing remotely asinine, butthurt, rage or whatever else you want to imply about my answer.

Btw, I went on and wrote a full build for the OP so no, I did not hijack anything and helped the OP as much as I could. Now gtfo with your stupid assumptions about me which don't even scratch anything remotely true about myself and my classses and my playstyles.
    Susano'o

Zerg Squad
  • DRXHarbinger
    DRXHarbinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Current meta for 1vXs.

It takes "2" of you...?

Jesus.

And no, I did not get butthurt at all, I stated the obvious. That build only works against people who don't understand it. That's the pure truth about it. I have played it myself. I know its weak points, its strength and limitations. And I also know that one single player is not capable of killing it, if played correctly. That's why I said 2 competent players are needed and the blazing shield tank will die. There is nothing remotely asinine, butthurt, rage or whatever else you want to imply about my answer.

Btw, I went on and wrote a full build for the OP so no, I did not hijack anything and helped the OP as much as I could. Now gtfo with your stupid assumptions about me which don't even scratch anything remotely true about myself and my classses and my playstyles.

No need to be defensive.
    PC Master Race

1001CP
    Master Angler
    Tamriel Hero
    Grand Overlord
    Every Skyshard
    Down With BOP!
  • Wollust
    Wollust
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Current meta for 1vXs.

It takes "2" of you...?

Jesus.

No need to be defensive.

No need to make silly assumptions based on a true statement regarding a build.
    Susano'o

Zerg Squad
  • Wollust
    Wollust
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    OP you may want to check this build out. Tanky as hell with decent sustain. If that is what you're looking for.https://youtube.com/watch?v=1Z0HY1hObzE
    Susano'o

Zerg Squad
  • DRXHarbinger
    DRXHarbinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Current meta for 1vXs.

It takes "2" of you...?

Jesus.

No need to be defensive.

No need to make silly assumptions based on a true statement regarding a build.

No need to bite.
    PC Master Race

1001CP
    Master Angler
    Tamriel Hero
    Grand Overlord
    Every Skyshard
    Down With BOP!
  • imredneckson
    imredneckson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dps_by_eso_picture-da85hlj.png

image_by_eso_picture-da86bjo.jpg

5x Julianos
    3x Transmutation
    2x Torug's Pact
    2x Blood Spawn

7x Heavy

5x Impen.
    1x Infused (Head)
    1x Divine (Shoulders)

Sorry I don't have a picture of the sword & board bar
    Edited by imredneckson on July 1, 2016 9:21AM
    Legions of Mordor Guild Officer
    Member of the GvG Community

Dunmer NB - Merser Frey (DC)
    Dunmer DK - Akaviri Battlereeve (DC)- http://orig05.deviantart.net/7ecd/f/2016/013/b/f/you_***_kill_by_eso_picture-d9nrz0q.png
    Imperial Templar - Knight of the Blood Oath (DC)-
    http://orig00.deviantart.net/5ba3/f/2016/115/a/0/jesus_beam_ftw____by_eso_picture-da09ecj.png
    High Elf Templar - Aurí-El (AD)
    High Elf Templar - Teutonic Honor Guard (EP)
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    1. Blazing Shield build is just a cheese with low sustain. You won't be able to do anything "serious" with such cheesy build, nor to duel, nor to help your teammates, just spam-spam-die. There is much more effective builds.
    2. Reactive Armor is bugged, I suggest not to abuse bugged things.
    3. It is pointless to talk now about builds since in 1 month, with dlc release, pvp transfrom into customization paradise with TONS on new setups and builds.
  • Kas
    Kas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    imho the build posted by decimus is one of the best, currently. 5 Fasalla's is incredible against all those major mending / vigor / malubeth / (major vitality) builds you encounter. If shields should ever return, you may want to think about another build again. But given the current meta, I wouldn't want to play anything else.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/273528/paladin-magicka-templar-pvp-build-dark-brotherhood-patch#latest

For non-duel open-world pvp, i'd suggest to play it as a vamp with mistform and devouring swarm. the vamp passive also lets you use purple stat food instead of ones in the original build.
    @bbu - AD/EU
    Kasiia - Templar (AR46)
    Kasiir Aberion - Sorc (AR38)
    Dr Kastafari - Warden (~AR31)
    + many others
  • Eshelmen
    Eshelmen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking of rolling a nord templar soon..

Just theorycrafting here.... thoughts?

Nord for max health and health recovery bonus.
    Plus the nice 6 % damage reduction.
    Transmutation jewelry + 2 pc S&b and DW magic Regen on jewlery, defending weapons, (reinforce shield) Orgnums Scales 5 heavy infused with health glyphs, 2 engine guardian, 50 in health, 14 in magicka
    CP in health regen, resistances, magicka recovery
    Depending on stats , either mage, apprentice or health mundus
    Edited by Eshelmen on July 1, 2016 11:04AM
    PC and PS4 EP only player