The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Enchanting Writs are confusing and awful

Dahveed
Dahveed
✭✭✭✭✭
I just got an enchanting writ to craft a "Moderate Glyph of Stamina".

So naturally I go to a crafting station and craft a "Moderate Glyph of Stamina", using the last potency rune (forget the name) that would let me do so.

I get no credit.... I went online to see if this was a known bug... but apparently I have to use a specific combination or level (or something?) in order to craft *the* exact "Moderate Glyph of Stamina" quality the game wants?

How the hell am I supposed to know this?

IMO the game should just tell me which exact 3 runes it wants me to use. How am I even supposed to know this? I have no motivation whatsoever to run to guild stores buying a bunch of runes for one daily quest that may or may not even complete.

It's just a pain in the butt and there is no joy in this activity whatsoever.
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can buy the potency runes from the vendor now. The writs are always stamina deni, health oko or magic makko. Always use ta.
  • Anil235
    Anil235
    Or better yet, use Lazy Writ Creator addon and let all of your writs but Provisioning and Alchemy.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dahveed wrote: »
    So naturally I go to a crafting station and craft a "Moderate Glyph of Stamina", using the last potency rune (forget the name) that would let me do so.

At most Potency Levels in Enchanting, there are two Potencies. Writs ask for a Glyph to be made with the lower of the two Potencies. If your not sure what Potency you need, you could just make something and learn the potency and other glyphs, then you will always know.

Or, just look it up on the Web

http://tamrieljournal.com/crafting-and-professions/enchanting/

Which would tell you that you need an Edora Rune, not the Jaera Rune to make Moderate Glyph of Stamina

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Dahveed
    Dahveed
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Dahveed wrote: »

At most Potency Levels in Enchanting, there are two Potencies. Writs ask for a Glyph to be made with the lower of the two Potencies. If your not sure what Potency you need, you could just make something and learn the potency and other glyphs, then you will always know.

Or, just look it up on the Web

http://tamrieljournal.com/crafting-and-professions/enchanting/

Which would tell you that you need an Edora Rune, not the Jaera Rune to make Moderate Glyph of Stamina

Any time a game forces you to go to the web in order to succeed, you've kind of failed in your game design.

I'm not saying everything should be handed to me for free, just that things need to be more clear. The game asked for a "moderate glyph of stamina", and I made - literally word for word - a "moderate glyph of stamina". And didn't get credit. I assumed it was a bug, because it was logically inconsistent.

I mean the game asked me to add 2+2, so I added 2+2 and got 4, then the game told me that 2+2 is not, in fact, 4.

In order to find out what answer the game expected, I had to google it and find out that in order to get the "correct" answer, I had to use a red calculator with blue buttons to get the answer of 4 that it wanted.

I know it's kind of making mountains out of molehills at this point, but I'm just saying this is something that crafting writs aren't very clear about. I remember at one point when I was first stating the blacksmithing writs I had a similar problem whereby I wouldn't get credit for the swords I was crafting simply because I attached traits to them. The game forgot to mention that I won't get any credit if I attach a trait to the weapons I was crafting (for some inexplicable reason?).

Anyway thanks for the help, I do appreciate the time you took to answer me. I figured this stuff out by myself (i.e. google), but I wanted to leave my feedback so hopefully they could improve this aspect of the game.

Cheers.

• rabb1t_ESO
    rabb1t_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    You likely made it with the wrong Aspect. You always want to make it at a basic level (white.)

This is similar to armor and weapon writs in that they should be the most basic version with no traits. Higher than base version, or with a trait, and it doesn't count.

In your defense, yes, I don't believe the writ states a rarity level aka what Aspect level. But it will always be the basic (white) level, so in a way it doesn't really need to state it.

Though I do believe this is explained during the crafting tutorial that everyone does once then forgets about.