The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Excited about update 11 changes to top tier writs?

Calidus1
Calidus1
✭✭
FIXES & IMPROVEMENTS, BASE GAME PATCH

Crafting & Economy
General
  • The top tier of durable Crafting Writs (Blacksmithing, Woodworking, and Clothier) now require only the top tier of material.

I'm excited, but only if the amount of materials stays the same and crafting surveys give all ruby mats. I've been running out of void level mats much faster than ruby.
Edited by Calidus1 on June 29, 2016 8:26PM

Excited about update 11 changes to top tier writs? 96 votes

Yes, it's about time
60%
inespeloazulSolarikenwayfarerxIvysaurAmarynthSotha_SilheledironLumiGilGaladAshtarislonewolf26DromedeBergisMacBrideOldManJimSHADOW2KKVonovosiZouniMissBizzBouldercleaveKomma 58 votes
No, i'm still low on ruby mats
25%
NestorSoleyarowdy45_ESOLordSockBushratJennifur_VulteelookstwiceMasterSpatulaleeuxEvilKiwiListerJMCsadownikAlexanderTheGloriousRebornV3xaaron_campionxerasiaAverageJo3Gam3rKramUzibradisintegr8mildlylucid 24 votes
Other
14%
Easily_LostAdamskiAldersDaishichiAdzer2EshelmenEvil_RurouniDankstallSRRllBurningLanceSolarCat02Wrecking_Blow_SpamKrishakPanettierAmdar_Godkillerdatgladiatah 14 votes
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So does this mean Craglorn Surveys are going to stop giving me random other Veteran mats and only void?
    Options
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    So does this mean Craglorn Surveys are going to stop giving me random other Veteran mats and only void?

Probably not, it doesn't even say that will happen with top tier surveys.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

Options
  • Amdar_Godkiller
    Amdar_Godkiller
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I prefer having a surplus of ruby mats and having to farm void mats because Ruby mats sell for 5x as much, 
    plus farming voids in Craglorn also gets me the occasional potent nirncrux
    Options
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Don't know how this can be a good thing for anyone other than traders if people need more top tier materials. Considering my top level clothing writs now use between 20-30 CP90-140 mats and 10-15 CP150-160 materials, how is it going to be better if they suddenly need 40-50 top tier materials instead?

I am more than happy to pay 2k gold for 200 void bloom or voidstone, but upwards of 20k for 200 ancestor silk or rubedite just to do writs is a joke. Unless the requirements drop or the returns are improved, I would reduce all of my characters to do the next level down writs and stay out of Wrothgar.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
    Options
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not looking forward to doubling or tripling the amount of Ruby materials I need to complete a writ.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

Options
  • llSRRll
    llSRRll
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    Yea I'm not a fan of this, I hope they are going to increase the reward for doing them. Its decent gold doing them now but by increasing the amount needed to complete them it may not be worth doing them.
    Options
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay you're going to have to explain what this means, as I don't understand what's going on, or maybe it doesn't apply to me as my top tier stops at Craglorn with 10/10 crafting.
    Edited by phaneub17_ESO on June 30, 2016 3:48AM
    Options
  • Eshelmen
    Eshelmen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    What makes you guys think they would increase the mats required for writs though?
    Rubedo, Ancestor and Rubedite are used for what, CP110 -120 gear and up? So unless they make the writ craft requirements CP160, I don't think we'll see any increase of mats needed.

I do hope they update Craglorn soon though. If they take out the need for level 9 craft mats in writs, I really have no reason to go there any more. I've already got a ton of nirncrux
    Edited by Eshelmen on June 30, 2016 11:48AM
    PC and PS4 EP only player
    Options
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eshelmen wrote: »
    What makes you guys think they would increase the mats required for writs though?
    Rubedo, Ancestor and Rubedite are used for what, CP110 -120 gear and up? So unless they make the writ craft requirements CP160, I don't think we'll see any increase of mats needed.

@Eshelmen

Ruby stuff is only used for CP150 and CP160.

Tier 10 Writs ask you to make 2 to 4 Void/Nightwood Items and 1 Ruby Item. If they remove the Void/Nightwood stuff, then they are going to ask for 2 to 5 more Ruby Items to keep in line with all other durable writs that ask you to make 3 to 6 items.

Options
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, it's about time
    Nestor wrote: »
    Eshelmen wrote: »

@Eshelmen

Ruby stuff is only used for CP150 and CP160.

Tier 10 Writs ask you to make 2 to 4 Void/Nightwood Items and 1 Ruby Item. If they remove the Void/Nightwood stuff, then they are going to ask for 2 to 5 more Ruby Items to keep in line with all other durable writs that ask you to make 3 to 6 items.

I'd imagine there'd be no change to the items, just the materials.

2 bows and a shield, or three staves, or two staves and a shield as we do now, just out of Ruby.

Likewise shoe, hat, sash or helmet, bracers, cops or robe, breaches, epaulets - all ruby.

And greatsword, helmet, or bracers, sword cuirass, greaves or helm, pauldron (x2), daggers (x2) - all ruby.

I do run short of voidstone, but then I do enjoy a quick run round Craggles...

However, if they are going to change writs then please, please, please can we get bonuses for adding traits?
    Options
  • agn231
    agn231
    ✭✭✭

However, if they are going to change writs then please, please, please can we get bonuses for adding traits?

Great idea!
    Options
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

2 bows and a shield, or three staves, or two staves and a shield as we do now, just out of Ruby.

Likewise shoe, hat, sash or helmet, bracers, cops or robe, breaches, epaulets - all ruby.

And greatsword, helmet, or bracers, sword cuirass, greaves or helm, pauldron (x2), daggers (x2) - all ruby.

Yep, and this means we will use 2 to 3 times the amount of Ruby Mats to do a Writ. You know, the Mats we are trying to save to make CP160 gear. Right now, as it stands, I am at a Negative Flow on Ruby Mats doing writs that only ask for 1 item to be made, based on what I get back.

Edited by Nestor on June 30, 2016 3:11PM

Options
  • Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Say atm you have to do, 1 inferno ruby ash, 1 ice night wood, 1 lightning night wood staff. If you have to do 3x ruby staffs IMO it'll be worse, but if you only have to do 1 staff, sounds to good to be true.
    Edited by Wrecking_Blow_Spam on June 30, 2016 3:17PM
    Xbox one EU
    8 Flawless conquerors on all class specs (4 stam, 4 magicka)
    Doesn't stand in red
    Options
  • Daishichi
    Daishichi
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    I would very much like the surveys gained by writs to be for Craglorn, where I have a chance at a nirncrux with each node. Currently, part of my logic for that is that I'd also be collecting void mats for 2/3 of my writ items...but the real solution should be:
    • Pick up writs anywhere
    • Turn writs in anywhere
    • Scale Craglorn mats to player level as with DLC zones

Under those circumstances, I would happily craft 3-5 Ruby items, turn them in at Belkarth, and earn surveys that get me more Ruby mats plus an occasional nirncrux.

Gamertag: SpideyGuy73
    Xbox One NA
    Grand Master Crafter
    Options
  • lonewolf26
    lonewolf26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it's about time
    My only concern is that the top tier surveys continue to return lower tier materials. These are largely devalued once you surpass cp150. I think they should replace those nodes with more top tier materials.
    Options
  • Calidus1
    Calidus1
    ✭✭
    Yes, it's about time
    Daishichi wrote: »
    I would very much like the surveys gained by writs to be for Craglorn, where I have a chance at a nirncrux with each node. Currently, part of my logic for that is that I'd also be collecting void mats for 2/3 of my writ items...but the real solution should be:
    • Pick up writs anywhere
    • Turn writs in anywhere
    • Scale Craglorn mats to player level as with DLC zones

Under those circumstances, I would happily craft 3-5 Ruby items, turn them in at Belkarth, and earn surveys that get me more Ruby mats plus an occasional nirncrux.

This is a great solution--i can't believe none has thought of it yet--especially with one tamriel coming out (although i think we don't know how node scaling will work yet, i hope they DON"T scale nodes in the first 5 zones).

-Your a 10/10 crafter and have some maple, go to the starting city and do a writ for less rewards (turn in there)
    -want Nirn, find some void and do a Craglorn survey
    -Want ruby, do a survey in the DC zones (especially if they expand the amount of nodes on top tier surveys).

This would give the max amount of freedom to crafters to find a writ that works for them. It makes sense too... If i'm a skilled blacksmith, I should be able to fulfill contracts for iron daggers and ruby helms alike.

And I also agree to make it even better, they should consider changing the 9/10 writs to the final caldwell's gold zones and just make 10/10 writs available from scaled nodes in craglorn--increasing the opportunity to farm both nirn and ruby.
    Options
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yep, and this means we will use 2 to 3 times the amount of Ruby Mats to do a Writ. You know, the Mats we are trying to save to make CP160 gear. Right now, as it stands, I am at a Negative Flow on Ruby Mats doing writs that only ask for 1 item to be made, based on what I get back.

This is the bottom line, I do crafting writs for multiple characters and already use more CP150-160 material than I can harvest in normal day to day play. Having to make anything more than one CP150-160 item I for a writ without a change in returns or harvesting results makes it worse, not better.

As of yet I have not made CP160 armour for any of my 5 maxed out characters as ESO does not make it worthwhile doing - the return does not warrant the investment.
    Options
  • leeux
    leeux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did the Writs on the PTS, and they ask for 3 random pieces of equipment at Ruby level. So, you're looking at a cost on average of 30 to 45 pieces of mats per writ.

It'll all depend on whether you recover your mats when you get a survey or not, and how frequently you'll get a survey in the future.

If they nerf the survey drop rate like they did with the Craglorn ones, then... probably won't be worth doing the writs anymore.
    PC/NA - Proud old member of the Antique Ordinatus Populus

My chars
    Liana Amnell (AD mSorc L50+, ex EP) =x= Lehnnan Klennett (AD mTemplar L50+ Healer/Support ) =x= Ethim Amnell (AD mDK L50+, ex DC)
    Leinwyn Valaene (AD mSorc L50+) =x= Levus Artorias (AD mDK-for-now L50+) =x= Madril Ulessen (AD mNB L50+) =x= Lyra Amnis (AD not-Stamplar-yet L50+)
    I only PvP on AD chars

~~ «And blossoms anew beneath tomorrow's sun >>»
    ~~ «I am forever swimming around, amidst this ocean world we call home... >>»
    ~~ "Let strength be granted so the world might be mended... so the world might be mended."
    ~~ "Slash the silver chain that binds thee to life"
    ~~ Our cries will shrill, the air will moan and crash into the dawn. >>
    ~~ The sands of time were eroded by the river of constant change >>
    Options
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    leeux wrote: »
    I did the Writs on the PTS, and they ask for 3 random pieces of equipment at Ruby level. So, you're looking at a cost on average of 30 to 45 pieces of mats per writ.

It'll all depend on whether you recover your mats when you get a survey or not, and how frequently you'll get a survey in the future.

If they nerf the survey drop rate like they did with the Craglorn ones, then... probably won't be worth doing the writs anymore.

In that case I'll lower all my characters so they only do Craglorn writs.
    Options
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, it's about time

Obviously experiences vary.

I'm in exactly the opposite position, having created my VR16 gear (!) for two characters I still have big reserves of ruby materials. It was tough when the new writs came out (particularly for leather) but I soon built up stocks (the double-up passive from CP certainly helps).

My problem is running out of voidstone. I had to buy some this week! I need a lengthy run round Craggles :)
    Options
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    I'm indifferent. I do run low on void mats, but I don't mind farming them in Craglorn and getting the occasional nirncrux.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

Options
  • Eshelmen
    Eshelmen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Eh, if that's the case then it doesn't really matter. Instead of having to pick up two types of mats(Level 9 and 10), you just need one now.

Sure ruby mats will require more, but at least you only have to focus on the one now.

An hour of hews bane farming will easily last me the week for writs.
    Options
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    disintegr8 wrote: »
    leeux wrote: »

In that case I'll lower all my characters so they only do Craglorn writs.

Craglorn writs are less cost effective than Tier 10. One wood working is almost 100 mats.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
    Options
  • Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's about time
    Okay you're going to have to explain what this means, as I don't understand what's going on, or maybe it doesn't apply to me as my top tier stops at Craglorn with 10/10 crafting.

You must not have the Orsinium DLC. All of my top tier writs end in Wrothgar now.
    Options
  • KrishakPanettier
    KrishakPanettier
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    I have no idea what this means. I cannot interpret "top tier of durable Crafting Writs ... now require only the top tier of material." What is the difference between now and then. Perhaps I've never done Top Tier Writs to know the difference.
    Krishak Kringle aka KrishakPanettier, Templar (PSN:KrishakPanettier)
    -- PS4 NA --

PVP, PVE, and Trader Guild Leader
    Guild:
    - Rent-A-Zerg Mercs AD (one-time large AD PVP Guild - now PVP, PVE, dungeons, trials, and crafting)
    - Shadow Exiles AD (merged into RAZ AD)
    - Recruiting all levels, for help all in-game content. Not just PVP anymore. Not just AD.

Online:
    - Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/RAZ.AD
    - Facebook: www.facebook.com/ShadowExiles
    - Twitter: @ShadowExiles
    - www: www.shadowexiles.com
    Options
  • Eshelmen
    Eshelmen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I have no idea what this means. I cannot interpret "top tier of durable Crafting Writs ... now require only the top tier of material." What is the difference between now and then. Perhaps I've never done Top Tier Writs to know the difference.

For highest level Writs right now, it has you craft level 9 and 10 mats like Voidstone ore and Rubedite Ore, now they'll only require level 10 mats(only rubedite) if you're level 10.
    Edited by Eshelmen on July 1, 2016 6:05PM
    Options
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    driosketch wrote: »
    Craglorn writs are less cost effective than Tier 10. One wood working is almost 100 mats.

@driosketch - Not when you take in the material cost (on PS4) it isn't and you get the chance of nirncrux from the Craglorn surveys. 200 x CP 90-140 material can be found for 2k, less if you shop around, whereas 200 CP150-160 material usually starts at 20k and you get that useless cassiterite or whatever it is from the surveys and no nirncrux.

As well as the gold return, it is the return in materials, surveys and tempers that matter. I am doing writs on 5 characters and only getting 20k a day total return. If I get some tempers, a handful of Craglorn survey maps (possible ninrcrux find) and have spent less than 5k on materials, then I am in front.

If I have had to spend more than 20k in material a day for level 10 writs and have no chance of nirncrux, that I start out losing every day with little chance to catch up. If they put something really worthwhile in the Wrothgar nodes that you can sell, it might make a difference.

I know I can farm for the raw material but getting enough for 5 characters writs and actually doing other game content when you work for a living is not practical.
    Options
  • Evil_Rurouni
    Evil_Rurouni
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    Not needing 2 types of material is good, but the writs will need to drop gold mats and surveys on a reasonably regular basis to be worth the material cost to do them.

Time is money (or in this case, gold), if I'm not making a profit, why waste gaming time doing writs?
    Options
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    disintegr8 wrote: »
    driosketch wrote: »

@driosketch - Not when you take in the material cost (on PS4) it isn't and you get the chance of nirncrux from the Craglorn surveys. 200 x CP 90-140 material can be found for 2k, less if you shop around, whereas 200 CP150-160 material usually starts at 20k and you get that useless cassiterite or whatever it is from the surveys and no nirncrux.

As well as the gold return, it is the return in materials, surveys and tempers that matter. I am doing writs on 5 characters and only getting 20k a day total return. If I get some tempers, a handful of Craglorn survey maps (possible ninrcrux find) and have spent less than 5k on materials, then I am in front.

If I have had to spend more than 20k in material a day for level 10 writs and have no chance of nirncrux, that I start out losing every day with little chance to catch up. If they put something really worthwhile in the Wrothgar nodes that you can sell, it might make a difference.

I know I can farm for the raw material but getting enough for 5 characters writs and actually doing other game content when you work for a living is not practical.

I guess it depends on the market. NA PC, I see nightwood going for more than ruby ash.

Of course you did get me thinking, why do I do writs? I work as well, and often am stuck doing "chores" when guildmates start grouping for pledges and trials. My normal foraging routine also yields a steady supply of gold mats already. I realized I started just so I could save money getting glass motif pages. Well it turns out the prices of pages has fallen for the most part to the 9-15k range, the glue itself cost 10k. So I just bought what I had left and I am done with writs.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
    Options
  • Soleya
    Soleya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just did all 3 writs on the PTS.

40 Rubedite used, 39 Ancestor Silk Used, 36 Ruby Ash used.

Got 2 trait stones, 3 white junk items for decon (each giving back 2 mats), and 1 woodworker survey.

The survey had 4 Ruby Ash node and 3 Nightwood nodes. Giving me 30 Ruby Ash (refined gave me 26 sanded ruby ash and nothing else).

So in all net loss of
    38 Rubedite
    37 Ancestor Silk
    8 Ruby Ash

For the gain of 2 trait stones.

Every writ will lose you materials, even if you got a survey EVERY time. And you currently get them occasionally.

Before you could make out better over time, since you gain cp 90-140 materials much faster (de-conning gives multiples back)

If CP160 gear didn't require 120-150 materials, the writs might be worth doing for the chance at yellow tempers. But using 1/3rd of a new piece of gear worth of materials just for a writ that will most likely be a massive loss isn't worth it.
    Options