Maintenance for the week of October 21:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – October 21, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

A Request For More Varied Male Fasion [Motifs/Appearance/Armor]

Ravinsild
Ravinsild
✭✭✭✭
First off I would like to say I play only male characters, and I am a male in real life, so I won't presume to speak for the female population or their desires. Therefore I'll just let the females represent their own desires for themselves.

That said: I would like more armor that shows off skin.

I would like a Gladiator Style armor, which could be an alternate Imperial, or even Orcish styled Motif or both. Or perhaps a Nord style. We have many warrior races with 1v1 trial by combat games and so-forth. I think it would represent a lot of races well:
maxresdefault.jpg
Spartacus-Blood-and-Sand-Crixus-Gladiator-Belt-5.jpg

I would also like a tattoo option to go in place of shirts, external to the character creation options for a more varied look, or perhaps just a shirtless/Hide Shirt option:
illidan-stormrage.jpg
kratos-bd3.jpg
conan-26.jpg

I would also love to see more skin exposing heavy armor, where it's just a chest guard+Shoulders baring the midriff, or even just a shoulder plate. More exposing/barbaric looking armor like something a Reachman or Goblin might wear:
wowx4-artwork-19-full.jpg
castanic-male-plate-16.jpg
Barb_Variants_03.jpg

I would just like to see more skin exposed, power-fantasy style armor for jacked characters to run around and show off their muscles.

On a different note I'd also like to see more tattered robes and cowls that darken the face and a hunched back/Hagraven style pose for creepy and dark magic users, like Warlocks and Necromancers, etc..
Edited by Ravinsild on June 27, 2016 2:21PM
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ravinsild wrote: »
    That said: I would like more armor that shows off skin.

Welp, I'm sold. :D
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • CasNation
    CasNation
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm. I am personally against the "show more skin" idea for either male or female models. The point of armor is to be protective, and not covering vital body areas is a pretty dumb idea in combat.

If you want to show of your muscles, take off your chest plate. Now, you might argue "but that makes me weaker!" Yes, it does. What you want is not actually more skin, but to have exposing armor AND have it be effective (correct me if I am wrong here). I am not a fan of this for reasons I already laid out.

Constructively though, there are some armors that are a bit more exposing than others. The one that comes to mind most recently (but still is pretty protective) is the flanking set. The chest piece reveals your arms, so if you have biceps big enough to crush a truck, you could show them off with that set. I bet you it will be a motif next update as well.
    PC NA AD
    Gamma Fyr: Dunmer Sorcerer Stamina DPS (the Missing Sister...props to those who get the reference)
    Samekh Fyr: Dunmer Nightblade Magicka DPS
    Claire Le'Rouge: Breton Templar Heal/Tank (the Resplendent Bastion)
    Augustus Constantine: Imperial Nightblade PvP (Blackwater Bandit)
    Shadow-of-Sundered-Star: Altmer Dragonknight Lowbie
  • Ravinsild
    Ravinsild
    ✭✭✭✭
    CasNation wrote: »
    Hmm. I am personally against the "show more skin" idea for either male or female models. The point of armor is to be protective, and not covering vital body areas is a pretty dumb idea in combat.

If you want to show of your muscles, take off your chest plate. Now, you might argue "but that makes me weaker!" Yes, it does. What you want is not actually more skin, but to have exposing armor AND have it be effective (correct me if I am wrong here). I am not a fan of this for reasons I already laid out.

Constructively though, there are some armors that are a bit more exposing than others. The one that comes to mind most recently (but still is pretty protective) is the flanking set. The chest piece reveals your arms, so if you have biceps big enough to crush a truck, you could show them off with that set. I bet you it will be a motif next update as well.

I was going to put in a caveat arguing against this very nonsensical argument but I was hoping I wouldn't have to.

Okay: You go to Shalidor/Vanus/Other Powerful Wizard and have them enchant your armor with "SteelSkin" which makes all exposed flesh areas when struck as hard as your current armor, thus protecting your exposed vitals with MAGIC. *Does not protect against soul-eating Worm Cultist who just rip your soul out of your body via Drain Life.

Please don't use real world logic for a fantasy/high magic game. I'll just teleport you to oblivion m8.

Essentially when it comes to a magic-laden world like this all armor is cosmetic. It doesn't protect you from the ability for the bad guys to melt you with their mind leaving your huge/full body covering plate-mail to clunk uselessly to the floor.
    Edited by Ravinsild on June 27, 2016 2:39PM
  • Lucious90
    Lucious90
    ✭✭✭
    inb4 male privliage
    Xbox/NA
    Naturegoat - Stam Warden
    Healgoat- Mag temp
    Staticgoat- Stam Sorc
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loincloth and boots 2 Piece Underoos bonus .
  • opaj
    opaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We certainly are seeing a trend of more costumes designed for females that show off a bit of skin. Why not do the same for male characters? (Off the top of my head, we have the pirate outfit which is fairly masculine/unisex to the Redguard and Bosmer outfits which are both traditionally feminine attire.) I say sexy outfits for everyone, and also power fantasy outfits for everyone!

I'll just be over here in my corner, sensibly dressed as always. :P
  • Ravinsild
    Ravinsild
    ✭✭✭✭
    opaj wrote: »
    We certainly are seeing a trend of more costumes designed for females that show off a bit of skin. Why not do the same for male characters? (Off the top of my head, we have the pirate outfit which is fairly masculine/unisex to the Redguard and Bosmer outfits which are both traditionally feminine attire.) I say sexy outfits for everyone, and also power fantasy outfits for everyone!

I'll just be over here in my corner, sensibly dressed as always. :P

I'm not against females dressing the way they want or having as sexy or unsexy as they like. I just don't want to speak on their behalf. However I imagine other than myself many males would not mind having more skin-exposing armors and motifs and costumes to choose from.
  • CasNation
    CasNation
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ravinsild wrote: »

I was going to put in a caveat arguing against this very nonsensical argument but I was hoping I wouldn't have to.

Okay: You go to Shalidor/Vanus/Other Powerful Wizard and have them enchant your armor with "SteelSkin" which makes all exposed flesh areas when struck as hard as your current armor, thus protecting your exposed vitals with MAGIC. *Does not protect against soul-eating Worm Cultist who just rip your soul out of your body via Drain Life.

Please don't use real world logic for a fantasy/high magic game. I'll just teleport you to oblivion m8.

Essentially when it comes to a magic-laden world like this all armor is cosmetic. It doesn't protect you from the ability for the bad guys to melt you with their mind leaving your huge/full body covering plate-mail to clunk uselessly to the floor.

I was simply telling you I don't like the idea, and far from being a "real world" logic argument, I don't feel like it fits the lore and feel of the Elder Scrolls series. That's a personal opinion, and even with your caveat, I think it seems a bit contrived. Yes, I know this world and magic in it and all, but I don't think that an equipable item meant to protect someone should consist of a single *** strap.

Besides, there are already spells that basically do what you want, which is increase your protection without actual armor. Lightning Form, volatile armor, and channeled focus to name a few. Also, as a mechanics note, armor in this game actually does protect against both physical and magical attacks.

To clarify my point, I don't think that the look you want should be unattainable, I just don't think nonsensical items should exist in game to enable it.

I actually just had an idea for the look you want without really giving much up. You know how a lot of gear set ups end up with a dead item slot (aka one that doesn't have a set bonus)? While some players are able to fill this with a maelstrom weapon, but a lot of people don't have those. You could make that dead slot your chest piece, and have you weapon be part of a set instead. Then you just don't wear the chest piece. You lose out on some stuff, but at least you keep the set bonus.

Also to clarify, I have no problem with costumes and the like that show off more skin. Just "functional" armor pieces.
    PC NA AD
    Gamma Fyr: Dunmer Sorcerer Stamina DPS (the Missing Sister...props to those who get the reference)
  • AlienSlof
    AlienSlof
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    OP +1

As a lady who plays a lot of male characters, I say 'YES PLEASE!'
    Bionic Crazy Cat Lady
  • Lenikus
    Lenikus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes!
    Let's ***-fy the males so that when we do it with females it's "fair"
    ... Mai cave. >:3
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As it turns out, ZOS has planned ahead and are already putting this in, though in glorious ZOS fashion it's not Male armor it's just Armor, and anyone can wear it. Behold!!

199473ad7f0e636d959966f4323d5f1d.jpg

Minotaur-Inspired-Imperial-Arms-and-Armor.jpg
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • Ravinsild
    Ravinsild
    ✭✭✭✭
    Recremen wrote: »
    As it turns out, ZOS has planned ahead and are already putting this in, though in glorious ZOS fashion it's not Male armor it's just Armor, and anyone can wear it. Behold!!

199473ad7f0e636d959966f4323d5f1d.jpg

Minotaur-Inspired-Imperial-Arms-and-Armor.jpg

This is very much what I'm looking for. I would appreciate more in this vein. However I want a wide variety from heavily super armored to merely a loin cloth.

From Reinhardt reinhardt_presskit5-295x300.png

to Conan the Barbarian 87992-004-9307AAD1.jpg
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...I don't feel like it fits the lore and feel of the Elder Scrolls series.

Yeah, this is pretty true. :D . The TES series has never really been huge on skimpy gear. It's one thing I've always loved about the series... armor looks like armor, no matter the gender of whoever's wearing it. :)

However, I would still support the OP's suggestions as costumes in the Crown store (though iffy about having them be a morif). All jokes aside: for me, this isn't about objectifying guys or anything like that... it's about providing players with a variety of flavors for their character's look. Some people will use these sorts of costumes, and some won't. It's up to the player.

And let's face it, when it comes to cosmetic items in just about any MMO, ladies tend to be favored over guys. So, yeah, definitely on board with guys getting more variety.
    Edited by BlackSparrow on June 27, 2016 3:37PM
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • Aemon_Isklexi
    Aemon_Isklexi
    ✭✭✭
    I actually just had an idea for the look you want without really giving much up. You know how a lot of gear set ups end up with a dead item slot (aka one that doesn't have a set bonus)? While some players are able to fill this with a maelstrom weapon, but a lot of people don't have those. You could make that dead slot your chest piece, and have you weapon be part of a set instead. Then you just don't wear the chest piece. You lose out on some stuff, but at least you keep the set bonus.

Also to clarify, I have no problem with costumes and the like that show off more skin. Just "functional" armor pieces.
    Leaving armor slots empty, especially the chest slot, isn't viable in any portion of the game other than walking around town. Not every armor slot is created equal. The chest slot in particular has roughly 15% more defense rating on it than the next nearest pieces of armor. The chest piece is also one of four armor slots that gets the strongest benefit from stat boosting enchantments (the others being head, legs, and shield). Not to mention the benefits you get from armor skill lines that scales with how many pieces of armor you're wearing (and the Undaunted passive).

Your argument for verisimilitude is already undermined by the costumes available in the Crown Store. I've seen plenty of male Nord warriors running around in wedding dresses or Bosmeri women's fashion. One route that Zenimax could take to fulfill this demand is with Crown Store costumes. That seems the most likely way to me too because it takes less planning than a new motif (where the style chapters would drop, how to tie it in to a new area, etc.), and it would mean more revenue from the Crown Store.
    "I do not carry such information in my mind since it is readily available in books. ...The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think." ~Albert Einstein
  • Ravinsild
    Ravinsild
    ✭✭✭✭

Leaving armor slots empty, especially the chest slot, isn't viable in any portion of the game other than walking around town. Not every armor slot is created equal. The chest slot in particular has roughly 15% more defense rating on it than the next nearest pieces of armor. The chest piece is also one of four armor slots that gets the strongest benefit from stat boosting enchantments (the others being head, legs, and shield). Not to mention the benefits you get from armor skill lines that scales with how many pieces of armor you're wearing (and the Undaunted passive).

Your argument for verisimilitude is already undermined by the costumes available in the Crown Store. I've seen plenty of male Nord warriors running around in wedding dresses or Bosmeri women's fashion. One route that Zenimax could take to fulfill this demand is with Crown Store costumes. That seems the most likely way to me too because it takes less planning than a new motif (where the style chapters would drop, how to tie it in to a new area, etc.), and it would mean more revenue from the Crown Store.

I was going to ask him how did it not feel "Elder Scrolls" but I'm not here to win an argument, I'm just here to put the idea out there that maybe more male characters would enjoy looking a little more naked barbarian in addition to looking like a fully plated knight.

And I wouldn't mind it being Heavy Armor as skimpy stuff too so tanks can feel like Gladiators expertly trained to deal with monsters or something of that nature. I want tanks, healers, DPS and everything in between to be included to fit the "Play How You Like" mantra. It would suck if it was only medium or light armor excluding any chance of a sword and board end game PvE Tank from looking how they may want to look.
  • CasNation
    CasNation
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I am well aware of the viability of the option. From the OP, it seemed he was largely concerned with a cosmetic issue, so I provided an alternative that minimized the impacts of getting the look he desires. Yeah you aren't going to be doing any trials in that proposed set up, but you won't have much trouble doing overland content either. I don't know what the OP usually does.

And, as I mentioned already, I have zero problem with costumes filling this desire from consumers. In fact, I am all for it, and think it is the right way to go.
    PC NA AD
  • Ravinsild
    Ravinsild
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think both motifs and costumes would be fair, because motifs are more mix and match to find a nice look, whereas costumes are take it or leave and static. You can't replace a piece you don't like with another piece.
  • Aemon_Isklexi
    Aemon_Isklexi
    ✭✭✭
    The new Argonian themed DLC is up on the PTS and people are datamining away. One of the datamined images reminded me of this thread.

gp_crwn_costumes_tribalshaman_1x1.jpg

It will likely be a new costume on the crown store. Combined with the hide helmet option, I think it will look quite nice.
    "I do not carry such information in my mind since it is readily available in books. ...The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think." ~Albert Einstein
  • Ravinsild
    Ravinsild
    ✭✭✭✭
    The new Argonian themed DLC is up on the PTS and people are datamining away. One of the datamined images reminded me of this thread.

gp_crwn_costumes_tribalshaman_1x1.jpg

It will likely be a new costume on the crown store. Combined with the hide helmet option, I think it will look quite nice.

Definitely a step in the right direction!
  • Vangy
    Vangy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lore and IMMURSioN be damned. I want that gladiator outfit..... Why is it totally okay for my sorc to be running around in cyro with whisperweft gala costume but not my DK to be like Conan.
    (2)V16 Dk- stam dps/stam tank/mag dps
    (2)V16 Sorc- mag dps/stam dps
    (2)V16 nb- stam dps/mag dps
    (1)v16 temp- mag tank/mag dps
    CP: 610 and counting

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates! Viva la revolutionz
  • CokeVoAYCE
    CokeVoAYCE
    ✭✭✭✭
    quit sexually objectifying men
  • Altaire
    Altaire
    ✭✭✭
    Oh God, I was gifted some a$$less chaps to my newbie NB, Be careful which tavern you walk into. STILL getting friend request;(
  • Ravinsild
    Ravinsild
    ✭✭✭✭
    CokeVoAYCE wrote: »
    quit sexually objectifying men

I want to be a macho sex object. It's my choice.