The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

How good is the story?

TomasWelsh
TomasWelsh
Soul Shriven
Hey all! I just thought I'd ask a quick question prior to beginning the game.

I was just curious to see what everyone made of the story, is it good? I'm hoping to get immersed and enjoy both the alliance and main storyline. No spoilers please! :D
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say so. For the first time through, the Main Story is pretty good, standard Elder Scrolls fare if you've played any TES games before. The Alliance Storylines have their ups and downs but are primarily well written as well.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • EleonoraCrendraven
    EleonoraCrendraven
    ✭✭✭
    I like the main story later in Coldharbour very much, searching for lost ones and building up an army against Moal Bal.
    And the one guy with his special hat. Love him. ;)
  • Rainwhisper
    Rainwhisper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favorite thing about ESO is the writing. I've laughed out-loud at the dialogue in several of the quests, and many of the characters are memorable (most notably Cadwell and, in Aldmeri, Razum Dar).
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the Five Companions questline is average to bad, being predictable at the best of times and grating at the worst. Sole exception being
    the part where I got to kill off Varen.

The Alliance questlines for the Dominion, Covenant etc. tend to be better. I think Stonefalls was the worst, and the Glenumbra questline was really too disjointed for me to enjoy, but over all better than the Five Companions line.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • gauntbird
    gauntbird
    Soul Shriven
    I'm absolutely in love with ESOs story. It's exciting und great to go through as in every other Elder Scrolls game.
  • Akwila
    Akwila
    ✭✭✭
    The primary story (which is identical no matter what alliance you join) is actually pretty interesting and very fun. It does have some replay value too but replay is meh.

The alliance stories DO have a primary and several large story lines. To summerize, they do the alliance justice by setting tones, themes, motivations and illustrating setting VERY well and all three alliances have great immersion.

Daggerfall Covenant
    Pros: Great characters (each zone has at least one character that you will fall in love with), story, puzzles, and the geography is very very manageable to travel through and see.
    Cons: Story can get annoyingly political at times. Bankorai. Leveling is very non linear so you might get lost and accidentally wander into higher level areas by mistake.

Aldmeri Dominion
    Pros: Great character development (fewer overall primary characters than Daggerfall but they develop so much better), BEAUTIFUL scenery, decent quests, and good voice work overall.
    Cons: Too many phased environments, and the geography is extremely mountainous making travel annoying and way shrines are bizarrely laid out. Can be difficult to leave some zones on foot.

Ebonheart Pact
    Pros: Dark Elves, very dramatic scenery, and very easy to navigate.
    Cons: Many. The quests are very lack luster, main story line is predictable and kinda boring, and the voice work on the nords and argonians use the same few actors making everyone sound the same. If you played skyrim, you will recognize them.

Of all the alliances I enjoyed playing through DC more, but liked the AD characters better. EP was a struggle. I hated nearly every aspect of it except the scenery and a small number of quest lines that were really good. The vast majority of my toons are in DC and some in AD. I've since deleted my EP toons because I couldn't stand it.
  • Jaronking
    Jaronking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The story in this game is terrible.Its has no substance and extremely shallow.
    Edited by Jaronking on August 24, 2016 3:21AM
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaronking wrote: »
    The story in this game is terrible.Its has no substance and extremely shallow.
    Which story are you talking about?! Rivenspire and Reaper's March, for example, have some of the best and most involved storylines I've ever experienced in a game.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • carljokl
    carljokl
    ✭✭✭
    I found quite a contrast between alliances. It felt like a lot of Daggerfall Covenant quests had light hearted elements and humour. Ebonheart Pact seemed on the other end of the spectrum. The (albeit incomplete) parts of it that I did were quite serious and sad. Razum'Dar is memorable for my experience with Aldmeri Dominion so far. Queen Ayrenn seems like the most likeable leader though possibly a bit naive.
    I thought much like the Nords, a lot of the Altmer sound like they are voiced by the same guy. The Bosmer have cockney London accents (but of course, why wouldn't they?).
    My Characters

Xargothius: Breton - JOAT / Magsorc | Orchid the Fair: Orismer - Crafter / Heavy Tank | Voneri Vox: Dunmer - Magplar Healer | Rexorgiana: Imperial - Temptress / Magblade
    Phirkius: Altmer - MagSorc | Rexorigus: Imperial - Med Tank / StamKnight | Sven Svedishchef: Nord - Provisioner / Stamplar | Finds-All-Fungi: Argonian - Alchemist/ Stamblade
    Emerald-Wild-Guard: Bosmer - Wyrd / StamSorc | Nates Datum Festi: Imperial - Light Tank / StamKnight | Magnolia Desert-Blossom: Redguard - 2 Handed Stamplar | Shadow-Softpaw: Khajiit - StamBlade
    Sorcerer | Dragon Knight | Templar | Night Blade